cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

Amber_AMD
Community Manager

Custom Keyboards - what would yours look like?

I don't know about you.. but I love custom things, especially for gaming set ups! My current theme is purple (pictured below) 

desk.jpg

But recently, my partner and I have been looking into custom keyboards and found this website https://www.wasdkeyboards.com/wasd-v3-87-key-custom-mechanical-keyboard.html where you can customize the type of keys, along with colors. Here's how his turned out: 

keyboard.jpg

I'm only a tiny bit jealous... Here's the one I'm planning on getting in the future - 

Amber_AMD_1-1652283447672.png

For inspiration, what would your custom keyboard look like if you ordered one? OR are there other websites you all have used for custom keyboards? @MikeySCT - I saw in another post this was a hobby of yours so I'm interested to hear your thoughts! 

20 Replies
Key-J
Miniboss

I don't have anything to contribute, but I'm actually excited to be a lurker on this topic.

I'm still rocking my original out-of-the-box Razer Arctosa keyboard from like 2015. So I'm very interested to see what people say about custom keyboards.

I'll just be here: the-office-observing

----------
**Canadian Gamer & Father - www.twitch.tv/AFKidsGaming** - Live Wed & Fri at 8:00pm PST - Come join!
Amber_AMD
Community Manager

Also, @Key-J  - lurk away! Did you try designing one on the website yet? It's pretty fun haha 

0 Likes
Nagrenol
Challenger

You watchin JayzTwoCents by any chance Amber 😋

Can't say I've ever been into getting my perps customized. Just black and some rgb is most I go.

I do have the 2 keys that came with the red devil 6800XT LE, but they seem a bit OTT to use.. on anything really

#plainjane

@Nagrenol I haven't really checked out JayzTwoCents before... but he has a ton of great content, even around keyboards. Gonna do myself some good little watch parties later! Thanks for the recco 🙂 

@Amber_AMDah no worries, I just saw his video from last week about nzxt's new custom keyboards and then I came on here and saw this post 😃

..coincidence.. or...

Nagrenol_1-1652302918888.png

I would like a lot a custom made but I ended picking a modular keyboard instead.

I can buy keycaps to made it more "mine" but unfortunately my switches are not Cherry MX, I can only get RoG proprietary Optical Mechanical Switches, so its hard.

The best CUSTOM I can go is WASD keys colored differently plus an ESC key while putting the NUMPAD on the left instead of the right.

I haven't had a chance to try the custom keyboard creator you linked Amber, but I've been browsing this website for a year or so now, debating on whether I should go for it or not. xD 

Current keyboard is a SteelSeries Apex 7 TKL Ghost, which I've been pretty happy with. Nice lighting, clean look, and the switches are perfect for my preference.

---
Ashley
Ryzen 7 5800X • Radeon RX 6900 XT • Gigabyte X570S AERO G •

SteelSeries Merc Stealth - Keyboard - USB

4fd35a38c787f7d310000000

I want to get into custom keyboards, but it feels like the community hates full custom keyboards. Most of the time, I only see options I'd like in tenkeyless and that's just... eww, lol. Still researching and I'll grab something eventually. I do believe I want some MX brown switches, however.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D| AMD 6800 XT Midnight Black | MSI B550 Gaming Plus | Be Quiet Pure Rock 2 Black
Corsair Dominator 32GB 4x8 | 970 Evo+/ WD SN550 1 TB/860 Evo 500GB | Be Quiet 802 Silent Base Airflow

Why hate full custom keyboards?

I gotta say, as much as a like a clean table and a TKL, for me, more keys more macros for my editing work.

I use the numpad on the left, (weird, I know) so I won't have the need to lift the hand of the mouse.
And I just fill the num pad with custom keys in Armoury Crate profile 3, same for the mouse.

I can't say that mine is a custom in the custom sense, its more like modular like I said in the last post. I can customize the layout a bit, leaving it in TKL, Full on left or right, wired or wireless, rest on or off. That sort of things.

johnnyenglish_0-1653857910186.png

johnnyenglish_1-1653858137607.png

And that is it 🙂

That's what I'm saying, @johnnyenglish . For whatever reason, it seems the custom keyboard community doesn't like full keyboards. Most of the styles that I did like were only offered in tenkeyless. And I can't do tenkeyless. I need my numberpad! Another chore with the custom keyboard community is that group buy stuff. An expensive headache, lol.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D| AMD 6800 XT Midnight Black | MSI B550 Gaming Plus | Be Quiet Pure Rock 2 Black
Corsair Dominator 32GB 4x8 | 970 Evo+/ WD SN550 1 TB/860 Evo 500GB | Be Quiet 802 Silent Base Airflow
Originalevo
Journeyman III

This is mine!

RDT_20220512_0926161382482820432751505-1.jpg

Glorious GMMK2, lubed Alpaca Linear switches with GBPT Celestial-Ice key caps

GMMK2.JPG

Ryzen 5900x - XFX Merc 319 - RX 6750XT - Hyper X DDR 3600 - MSI X570S Tomahawk Max WiFi - Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4 - Fractal Meshify 2 - Corsair RM1000X( 2021 edition) - 4,140mm Lightwings 3 Fans - 1 120mm Lightwings Fan
vesovind
Journeyman III

@Amber_AMD wrote:

I don't know about you.. but I love custom things, especially for gaming set ups! My current theme is purple (pictured below) 

desk.jpg

But recently, my partner and I have been looking into custom keyboards and found this website https://www.wasdkeyboards.com/wasd-v3-87-key-custom-mechanical-keyboard.html  where you can customize the type of keys, along with colors. Here's how his turned out: 

keyboard.jpg

I'm only a tiny bit jealous... Here's the one I'm planning on getting in the future - 

Amber_AMD_1-1652283447672.png

For inspiration, what would your custom keyboard look like if you ordered one? OR are there other websites you all have used for custom keyboards? @MikeySCT - I saw in another post this was a hobby of yours so I'm interested to hear your thoughts! 

that is a pretty detailed information or you can say article you shared, I really love it and it is awesome

0 Likes
Justabhi
Journeyman III

Looks great I have the Ducky X Varmilo MIYA Pro Panda with YUNZII Milk Japanese Keycaps Set, you can check out those keycaps there, and also they look fantastic I got the idea for the Japanese keycaps from this site.

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Have you checked out artisan wrist rests? They are absolutely beautiful and complement any setup. I want a galaxy themed one. They make them out of resin and sometimes wood. Check those out if you are into custom keyboards and the like. 

Um I had not seen those. I just looked them up and they're so nice! I just wonder if they're comfy since it's epoxy? LG recently came out with a new line and I really want the wrist rest they came out with. 

https://www.logitechg.com/en-us/products/accessories/palm-rest-g715-g713.943-000608.html

Amber_AMD_0-1660575380220.png

Look how comfy that looks!! 

Also, we should start a new post about these because I would love to chat more about wrist rests - I've been on the fence about trying one haha 

cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

I love that. It looks so squishy. The whole line that launched with looks so light and nice the keyboards, mouse etc. You definitely should start a wrist rest thread.

tredeuce
Adept II

I will stick with my somewhat plain RGB mechanical for now, but custom keyboards are definitely something that can enhance a build and offer a way for the owner to express themselves. I get lost looking at all the different styles, types, and options available. I think someone mentioned Drop having some, and I have also seen some interesting ones at Kono Store.

jd63636
Adept I

The GMMK2  with lubed Alpaca linear's, GPBT Celestial - Ice keycaps and Model D wirelessGMMK2.jpg

Ryzen 5900x - XFX Merc 319 - RX 6750XT - Hyper X DDR 3600 - MSI X570S Tomahawk Max WiFi - Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4 - Fractal Meshify 2 - Corsair RM1000X( 2021 edition) - 4,140mm Lightwings 3 Fans - 1 120mm Lightwings Fan