cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

blazek
Volunteer Moderator

AMD at Computex 2022 - Recap

Catch up on the latest updates from AMD's Computex 2022 Keynote, led by AMD Chair and CEO Dr. Lisa Su.

8 Replies
ajlueke
Grandmaster

Cool stuff for the mobile space.  As a desktop user, there likely isn't much to pull me away from my trusty X470 board yet.

Agree, there's some awesome stuff in there. Thanks for posting, @blazek !

---
Ashley
Ryzen 7 5800X • Radeon RX 6900 XT • Gigabyte X570S AERO G •

Being able to use AM4 coolers on AM5 is nice for us watercooled people.

----------------------
June 2022 Rig of the Month -AMD Ryzen 5900X, Asus Tuf Gaming 6900XT
GreatnessRD
Miniboss

Looks promising. I'll reserve judgement for when more information is given. Don't plan to move away from my main rig anytime soon, but if the lower-end stuff prove to be great, I might make an HTPC build with Zen4.

Leonidas - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | MBA RX 6800 XT Midnight Black | Be Quiet 802 Silent Base (Main)
Maximus - Ryzen 7 3700x | Power Color Fighter RX 6700 XT | Fractal Ridge ITX Case (HTPC)

@GreatnessRD If you do end up building that rig, we'd love to see you post about it here! 😁

---
Ashley

@Ashley_AMD Well do!

Leonidas - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | MBA RX 6800 XT Midnight Black | Be Quiet 802 Silent Base (Main)
Maximus - Ryzen 7 3700x | Power Color Fighter RX 6700 XT | Fractal Ridge ITX Case (HTPC)

Just wanted to add that y'all can find more info about what was discussed at Computex by clicking this link. Check out those flagship AM5 motherboards! 😍

---
Ashley
0 Likes

The X670E boards are interesting, as they seem most useful in the productivity/creator space for those who don't want to quite step up to Threadripper.  If you are gaming primarily, it is probably better to stick to 8 cores or less and get the 3D cache versions of the chips.  None of that would require the massive amperage the VRMs can deliver.  That would only be useful in getting clock speeds up on highly threaded workloads on the 12 and 16 core chips.

Likewise, that extra PCIe graphics port doesn't do much for gaming.  Crossfire and SLI died with DX11, and Vulkan and DX12 games are rarely implementing any sort of multiGPU functionality.  So it really again only helps with benchmark leaderboards or certain scientific productivity software,

0 Likes