Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

comoema
Journeyman III

XFX Radeon RX 480 - 8Gb / Instant reboot when using GPU/Benchmarks

Spoiler

Im desperate trying to make my graphics card working but Im experiencing issues.
The story goes, I been playing with same pc configuration (PSU 750w) without any issue till 2-3 years back then I stopped cos no time.
Now I wanted to use Unreal Engine some other games I thought my graphics card - XFX Radeon RX 480 with 8gb - can provide me still some enjoyable results.

Here the thing : Im running Windows 10 Home edition (which I had before), update to latest driver Adrenalin 24.1.1 and also tried the one before Adrenalin 23.11.1 but without success.

The card get recognised without problem under Windows but when I try to run some benchmark for testing, like Heaven Benchmark 4.0, after a couple of second, the pc reboots instantly and I hear the fun of the GPU running loud.

I tried with fresh Windows 10 installation also and no success.

I tried also with fresh installation of old driver dated back to 2018 (this graphics card was released in 2016 (but I experience the same thing.

Something curious is if I run the benchmark at lowest resolution like 640x360 It runs no problem but I can see the GPU temperature (trough Windows Task Manager) reach 85-89 degrees Celsius.
When I tried to higher up the resolution, I get brutal reboot instantly.

I didnt have any problem some years back.

Reaching out to understand if anyone has experienced the same, trying not to give up, I believe something is wrong and I dont mind to keep this card running still even if getting a bit old.

Thank you!

0 Likes
1 Reply
AMOCO14
Adept II

Sounds like it maybe the GPU, those temps are pretty hot 

So far you have done good at diagnosing your issue, and its leaning towards the GPU. 

Try this,

Leave the side panel off and run the computer at low resolution and see if the fans are spinning, And if they are then the card maybe or going bad.

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus - ASRock RX 6750XT -12GB. -- G.Skill Ripejaw V (32GB.) (DDR4-3200) - WD Black SN850X NVMe - Samsung 980 Pro NVMe - SanDisk SSD Plus - CORSAIR CX750M 750W - Cooler Master Hyper Halo 212 Cooler- Rosewill Prism S500 Gaming Case - Windows 10 Pro x64 - MSI Optix MAG342CQR - Samsung 27" - Apex 3 Gaming Keyboard - Rival 3 Gaming Mouse - Sound Blaster Z SE
0 Likes