cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

ClevaTreva
Adept I

Windows replacing AMD drivers

I've had this issue on and off now since I bought my system a year ago.

Windows replaces AMD drivers with 'MS Basic Display Driver' and refuses to let me install Adrenalin and AMD drivers.

On the few occasions it has succeeded, I have to keep my system up and running permanently - because if I dare put the PC to Sleep or Shut Down, the drivers get hosed again and it's back to MS Basic Driver (which barely renders YouTube).  I'm at my wits end and seriously considering Team Green because of this issue.

Hardware: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
GPU: Sapphire RX 7900XTX
Motherboard: ASUS B650E-F
RAM: 32Gb Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz CL30
Windows 11 Home

I have tried:
DDU
AMDCleanupUtility.exe
Various suggested registry fixes, disabling this power state / that power state etc etc ad infinitum
Repaired Windows
Reinstalled Windows
Suspended Windows Update
Tried all recent AMD drivers in the last year including latest
Installed drivers from Device Manager

... and nothing has worked.

This is a well-documented issue which has been going on for years.  Why has this not been addresses by AMD? 

0 Likes
10 Replies
kyton
Adept III

I had a similar issue and then ticked the Prevent downloads option on DDU.  Ran AMD Cleanup utility then DDU in safe mode.

kyton_0-1715073594611.png

0 Likes

Did you do this on or offline?

0 Likes

Offline in Safe mode.

Link to AMD Cleanup Utility

https://www.amd.com/en/resources/support-articles/faqs/GPU-601.html

0 Likes

I tried this and it worked, thanks - but I can't yet accept it as a solution.

Alas, I have no confidence whatsoever it'll survive a shut down overnight or or even a restart.  I'll let you know. 

Its not working for me, Im suffering from this problem for more than 2 months now.

Never happend before, driving me crazy tried everything from stopping the Auto update and changing stuff in the Registry, and even this with DDU and installing a fresh new copy of WIN10.

What have MS done to AMD drivers? there are tonns of these problems on posts now.

My PC will crash like 2-3 times a day.

0 Likes

Make sure to do the cleanup in safe mode.  Also run this app and look for older file version and remove.

https://github.com/lostindark/DriverStoreExplorer/releases/latest

0 Likes
432hz
Adept III

The 1st method mentioned in this video worked for me. I did the 2nd method as well for good measure. Note the differences in the 2nd method from other similar tutorials.

https://youtu.be/3PQmXkGLDVI?si=wEJkaJRCE2L0L7jI

RX 6800 • Intel 12600k • G.Skill 6000 32GB • MSI B760M Mortar
0 Likes
hardreset
Challenger

I try DDU and amdcleanuputility and dont work for my too.

Ony work this :

https://community.amd.com/t5/general-discussions/how-do-i-stop-windows-10-from-updating-my-graphics-...

ASRock RX7900GRE Steel Legend, i5 13600K, Asrock Z690 PG Riptide, 32gb ddr4 4000mhz.
0 Likes
Grashna91
Journeyman III

Hi all,

I have the same issue since I bought my 7900xt. Tried everything, but after 2-3 days my pc freeze, then my screen goes black and get the "input not supported" monitor message ( Im using 2 monitors, one 1440p and one 1080p. After the pc restart, only 1 monitor working, and when I try to open Adrenalin I get the well known message: AMD software not compatible with installed graphic driver.

Right now I'm testing the issue with using only my 1440p monitor, I still have 2 days left to judge if this solution working or not. 

My freeze issue never happens in games, only when I'm AFK or just browsing the internet.

Maybe my VGA is broken?

0 Likes
BigBeard
Adept I

By now, it's become a feature, not a bug

The only thing I know of that can stop WU interfering with AMD drivers is to insert these lines into the registry:

How To Stop Windows Updates From Downloading Drivers on Windows 10 & 11 - MajorGeeks

That will hold. However, if Windows Update does a reset, it will start replacing AMD drivers again.