cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

AskMe4Pars
Adept I

Windows fails to boot with AMD video driver

I have a just assembled an ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING mobo with a AMD Ryzen 7 3800X processor and a PowerColor AMD RX 6500 XT card with windows 10. Whenever I install a video card driver and reboot my computer it will not start. Windows logo..... circle thing.... then it crashes..... When I am in windows with Microsoft Basic Display adapter and I choose to update drivers and choose the AMD folder which has the drivers and it tries to apply them, the screen goes blank and then reboots to the loop. Any idea's on how I can get my computer to start using an AMD driver? 

0 Likes
1 Solution

It was not the driver or the card. A full format and re-install of windows proved this. I should have known Microsoft was behind all of my troubles. Thanks for the input at any rate, I appreciate your time.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
AskMe4Pars
Adept I

So an update. Upgraded to windows 11 and I am experiencing the exact same problem. Adrenalin 22.4.2 setup runs, as soon as the driver is applied during the setup, screen goes black, hard drive activity for 20-30 seconds then computer reboots, restarts during windows startup when driver is applied ( I'd assume ). Have to let it reboot 3 times to get into repair to restart into safe mode and use amdcleanuputility to clean out the driver to where I can get back into windows with MS basic display driver. 

0 Likes

So another update, went to the Powercolor website and downloaded A22_1_2_W10_W11_64 which is obviously older and experienced the same issue. Beginning to think Powercolor is poo poo and am looking into getting a different brand of card. I guess it is just money and I cant take it with me so might as well spend it. Sigh

0 Likes

I highly doubt that it is driver related. Your issue is relatively common when the GPU is failing. You will have to deal with warranty, or, if you don´t have it anymore, repair it.

It could also be a motherboard issue, but it´s less likely.

If you can, try that GPU in other system.

0 Likes

Well everything is brand new, less than a few weeks old so if it is failing already..... Everything works fine until the driver is applied so I can't see how it could be anything besides the driver. SFC checks, DISM check, cleanup ect runs with no errors. I'll try the card in another computer though to see what happens

0 Likes

The GPU is not used to its full capabilities until the driver is installed. Without drivers, your GPU is merely a video output for your Windows's basic display drivers to render stuff. It´s ALMOST as going into safe mode in terms GPU usage.

On the other hand, when drivers are installed, the system recognizes every GPU feature and tries to use it as inteded (clocks, energy states, amount of VRAM, and other million things). If something is wrong in your GPU, it will fail.

I have worked with computers that had your exact problem, and it was not driver related.

You can always try a motherboard BIOS update and using older GPU drivers just to make sure.

0 Likes

It was not the driver or the card. A full format and re-install of windows proved this. I should have known Microsoft was behind all of my troubles. Thanks for the input at any rate, I appreciate your time.

I´m glad to hear that it was cheaper than I expected. Greetings!

0 Likes

What I said was actually not correct, it was the card. After a full format and install it worked for a short period and then started again with the problems. I RMA'd the card (which took a month, sigh "pandemic") received a replacement and have not had an issue since. 

0 Likes

Interesting. I have a new Gigabyte Radeon RX 6500 XT that has been driving me batty.  If I install it in my ASRock 470 / Ryzen 7 2700x system, the computer will not power up. I installed it in an old Gigabyte GA -8806A / Phenom II 1055T system and it powered up, booted, ran Windows 10 and used the card with Windows default drivers. When I tried installing the Radeon drivers I got a black screen. Also, when booting with the default drivers the card displayed a pattern of colored rectangles before POST. Thought it might be my Power unit, but your note makes me think the Radeon is sick.

0 Likes