cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Why is AMD Adrenalin 2019 18.12.3 incremental update notifying and advising to upgrade to 18.12.2?

I was testing AMD Adrenalin 2019 18.12.2.

I was notified that Adrenalin 2019 18.12.3. was available.

I ran incremental update and reboot.
Now I see the following:

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png
I note that the wrong PCIe3.0x16 "Current Bus Settings" is still there - it should be PCIe3.0x8.

Moving on I see the following:

pastedImage_3.png

And:
pastedImage_4.png

And:

pastedImage_5.png

It seems that Adrenalin 2019 18.12.3 wants me to go back to 18.12.2?
Is there something wrong with 18.12.3 already or is this just a bug?

AMD Report Form filed.

System Info
CPU: i7-4790K

MB: Asus Z97 Delux Dual NFC Wireless. Latest BIOS.
GPU1: Palit RTX 2080 OC 8GB.HDMI to freesunc monitor. Turned off

GPU2: XFX RX Vega 64 Liquid. Display Port to Freesync monitor.

RAM: 32GB DDR3 Crucial LP Ballistix Tactical.

SSHD: 2TB Seagate Firecuda.

Bye.

1 Solution

I just installed AMD Adrenalin 2019 19.2.1.

Another fix has been implemented regarding notifications according to the release notes here:
Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.2.1 Release Notes | AMD 

I get the following notifications:

pastedImage_3.png

When I run a check for updates I now see this:

pastedImage_1.png

The Radeon Settings  Advisor problem regarding "upgrade loop" was fixed in an earlier release.

Now I see the following:

pastedImage_2.png

I would argue that recommending people to use Radeon Chill is wrong and that Radeon Chill should be fixed before AMD recommend people should use it. It kills keyboard only input FPS at settings which will save power. It uses more power when switched on in other cases. It needs to have the Chill Max Slider decoupled from Global FRTC to stop breaking FreeSync. That will be a new post. 

Correct Answer to the original post:

"Why is AMD Adrenalin 2019 18.12.3 incremental update notifying and advising to upgrade to 18.12.2?"

Is

All issues are fixed in AMD Adrenalin 2019 19.2.1 release.

Thank you AMD for fixing this trivial but annoying problem so quickly.

I now mark this answer as correct.

View solution in original post

51 Replies
Ray_AMD
Community Manager

18.12.2 is a WHQL recommended driver,

18.12.3 is an optional driver.

Yes sure I know that, I have 18.2.3 installed.
I could understand if it was notifying me of a new driver called 18.2.4 not 18.2.2.

It just doesn't make sense.

See:
pastedImage_0.png

I don't understand. It's recommending 18.12.2. Where are you seeing 18.2.2?

The WHQL driver will always be the recommended driver, even though it may be older than the current optional driver.

I have 18.12.3 installed. It notifies me that 18.12.2 is new. If you look at the System Recommendation in the pictures in the original post it recommends 18.12.2.

0 Likes

The older versions didn't give the notification if you already had the optional update installed. I tried a completely fresh install of 18.12.3 and 18.12.2. I also tried updating the fresh 18.12.2 into 18.12.3, to see if that wouldn't fix the issue. I can understand how the notification repeating itself over and over could be annoying/confusing to people who don't know how to turn off notification prompts in Windows. It is however, just a small bug/annoyance and doesn't cause any real problems.

Sorry for my delay in responding.

I agree - it is a small bug, and only slightly annoying, in comparison to the bug that cause my delay in responding to this post - Adrenalin 2019 Wattman Automatic Overclocking which should be renamed "Self Destruct", and require the approval of the Captain and the First Officer before you press it, if you run an RX Vega 64 Liquid for example. More on that in a different post.

I do not know why this  post and bug report has caused so much interest although other far more serious bugs / problems I have reported that rarely get a response.
Probably because this one is simple to look at and very easy to respond to.

I wasn't even going to report this one, but I thought I should, mostly since the recommendation below is given. Already on 18.12.3 and yet recommend going to 18.12.2
pastedImage_5.png

Bye.

0 Likes

sure, i did turn off notifications but now the new Radeon Settings Advisor is telling me to go back to 12.2.2. it is only slightly annoying  but i get a few lock up issues with minor changes in the display settings. like turning on or turning off gpu scaling  or changing from or to RGB in either direction to either full of limited . this is a new thing. i see others have same things.  all of my equipment is rated to handle 4k @ 60hz but i can not make this happen. it reverts to 30hz. this is new too. i am not sure why or if it is windows 10 or AMD

0 Likes

A 30Hz limit may mean that the wrong monitor driver has been selected somehow through the Windows 10 interface.  Right-click anywhere on your desktop and select Display Properties from the context menu, scroll down the page and select Advanced Display Properties,  then from the next page that comes up, select Display Adapter Properties for Display 1.    A box with three tabs will appear, Adapter, Monitor, and Color Management.  Select Monitor. The Monitor tab will open and display the name of your monitor--and under Screen Refresh rates you should see "60 Hertz"--if you see "30 Hertz" then you should probably install a monitor driver that will support 60Hz at 4k.  

thanks walt, but i have done that innumerable times , innumerable ddu  driver removal and clean reinstalls as well as windows 10 checks. everything 'looks' fine but that crazy 30hz pick keep on happening , since 18.11. or 18.9 something forget which.  i am  sure i have set up some conflict or other in my fiddling , that the clean install doesnt get . i have posted to microsoft forums too. i am in the 'insider program' though i have slowed down on the too far advance os build as of 6months ago. but i am still getting glitchy pre release stuff i think.  the green screen club .i appreciate the answer though.

but you do  point out an issue about mon properties and i get generic monitor 1 and/or generic monitor 2. i have a samsung 24 1080p monitor hdmi that i installed the samsung digital drivers for. the other monitor is 4k and known to be 4k/60hz capable as is my onkyo rz720 , i have tried direct hdmi 2.2 monoprice premium cables and many others with same rating direct from my pc 480 8gb and through the onkyo avr all new and properly rated hdmi cables. i have all of them 10' or less too. --i had used longer ones too and other higher price hdmi cables sposed to be hdmi 2 . all on hdmi too. i get frustrated is all.  i do not know where the 30hz came from. had been always 60hz even with the generic monitor assignment in properties. i will pursue this however. did not consider that may have regressed.

john

0 Likes

i mis read your reply, i should have indicated that i do have a full range of refresh rate options from 23hz through 60hz with the appropriate ones in standard type and the non recommended ones in italics. it is just that windows or radeon or both continue to select 30hz at 12bit color, i changed to 10bit and still chooses 30hz on any change. i am certain that the drivers that amd loads support 4k at 60hz over the proper cable to the appropriate devices. i would not know where to get these special 60hz drivers if you could enlighten me. i have looked for device specific drivers for samsung and my lg or tcl tvs. i get the windows 10 generic drivers which are supposed to support 4k at 60 and do show it in the box you note. just wont keep it there since the 18.12 updates came though and do not know for sure it is the fault of the amd driver updates or one of the many buggy windows 10 updates. either or both are known for minor bugs in releases and i expect some in beta releases and work through them

thanks again

jon

0 Likes

Yes as it seems there is no real problem but the bigger problem is getting phones from customers who does not understand the situation (i run a computer shop) and wasting half of the day on phone explaining the situation

0 Likes
pvcdroid
Adept II

You're not alone. I'm seeing the same upgrade to old version thing with my Gigabyte Vega 64 OC. An AMD glitch I presume. Everything else indicates a successful 18.12.3 upgrade from 18.12.2.

0 Likes

Same on everybody's I assume. I always understood the recommended to be the WHQL. The Beta may change, but until a new WHQL you always see that version. That's assuming there isn't a bug >

• Radeon Settings may sometimes list a previously installed driver version even after driver successfully upgrading.

Edit: Recently did a OS reinstall on a older laptop with Legacy graphics. Version 16.2.1 beta installed...and getting nagged to update to 15.7.1 whql.

0 Likes

I don't remember what the previous 18.12.2 said...what was the recommend version? Another thing is it seems impossible to prevent/stop the notices. In preferences I have set to 'Off' ...Show Upgrade Advisor as well as Notifications...still being notified.

0 Likes
bango
Adept I

In my case I had installed the 18.12.2 update, but the software still recommended me to upgrade to 18.12.2. I wouldn't deny that the software has still a lot of bugs. The option to restart the pc after updating the Adrenalin software doesn't work either and I also get following error message in Windows "Compatibility checker offline or internet connection not available"

ryan6700
Journeyman III

Same problem here. Not a huge issue of course, just annoying seeing the Windows notification every single time I boot up my PC. On 18.12.3 and keep getting notified that "New" version is available a.k.a 18.12.2. Even a "Skip this version" button would be nice, just to stop the notifications until the next update appeared.

After multiple installs, both clean and otherwise, I found that 18.12.2 is very buggy in the UI department--it would simply lock up after making any number of option adjustments--just lock up. "End task" restoration by taskmanager was the only way out. (Note: that I am not talking about the normal "driver not responding" pauses for the UI.)  I reported it--then a day later 18.12.3 was released which is *blessedly* free of the UI lock up problem.  Neither 18.12.1 or 18.12.1.1 had the problem, only 18.12.2---the initial release of the 2019 Adrenalins.  I don't advise advise anyone go back to 18.12.2!

I also noticed the advice to "upgrade" to .2 from .3--bad advice...;)  Stick with .3.

0 Likes

Hello

I have the same problem, under WIN10, Radeon RX580.

After installing, I will get this image back and I will not be able to quit this loop because he will offer it again and again as he found a new version.

Jegyzet 2018-12-30 130059.jpg

0 Likes

There are dozens of identical posts...with the correct answer.

1. It is a bug.

2. Nothing you can do about it.

3. It in no way affects the driver function.

johnniedoo
Adept II

I am still getting this  ridiculous notice, of course i turn off notification in prefs. i know it is called a bug by forum watchers/participants. i dont understand why AMD has not released a bug report and posted it with download page , in known issues or anywhere, yet.  lots of people have had to go through the bother of clean installing and all the other things for no good reason, as a rule.never know what work might be corrupted or lost in the process , for some. no need for it.

just one more issue of contention with AMD. however, the other one is not always smooth as silk (NVIDIA) each has it bugaboos. but  small and harmless as this it, still even slight action would have been appreciated

Hi,

Happy New Year.

All you can do is make sure you file an AMD Reporting form using the Adrenalin GUI

pastedImage_4.png

I have done that.

Or submit an email support case so AMD know about it:
Support Ticket Process | AMD

Maybe then someone  will think about fixing it.

0 Likes

0 Likes

Testing on Adrenalin 2019 19.1.1. with system with a single R9 Nano - the Upgrade Advisor issue is fixed.

I will check what happens with RX Vega 64 Liquid next.

0 Likes

R9 Nano ... Adrenalin 2019 19.1.1:

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.pngpastedImage_3.png

So now the Upgrade Advisor no longer advises upgrading to Adrenalin 2019 18.12.2.

This Upgrade Advisor issue seems fixed for R9 Nano.

Discussion about recommending to turn on Chill should be in a different post but my opinion on that is AMD should really fix Chill first before advising to use it.

0 Likes

Adrenalin 19.1.1 still keeps asking me to update to 18.12.2. R9 290X, Windows Insider 18312.2019-01-11.png

0 Likes
bubboteam
Adept III

so I'm not the only one

0 Likes
laserspewpew
Journeyman III

I was going to make a new post about this, glad I am not the only one experiencing this. lol

0 Likes
nestorcr
Journeyman III

Anotación 2019-01-13 171702.jpg

Alguna solución para este molestoso mensaje, tengo el software actualizado y aun me sale el mensaje para actualizar a una versión anterior.

0 Likes

Es un error de la software. No eres el unico con este problema como puedes leer en el post aquí si entiendes ingles. Puedes enviar un informe a AMD por el software si te molesta tanto. Tal vez eso le dará más esfuerzo para eliminar el error. Supongo que lo harán de todos modos, solo tomará un poco de tiempo.

0 Likes
locodicegr
Miniboss

1) Not a bug.

2) Dont spell the version wrong. its 18.12 not .2

3) Its recommending the WHQL, nothing wrong about that.

So many comments for nothing, focus and report on real bugs.

0 Likes

1) This is a bug in some case. At least if Adrenalin recommends to udpate to version 18.12.2 even though it's allready installed.

2) It's called version 18.12.2!

3) Maybe you need some sleep. If so, take a break and then read this thread again.

4) Don't answer with useless comments. This doesn't help anyone!

Hi,

(1). It is a bug, It was noted as a bug in 19.1.1 release notes. Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.1.1 Release Notes | AMD
Specifically:

Fixed Issues

• Radeon Settings Advisor may incorrectly suggest older versions of Radeon Software as an update.
  • Radeon Settings software update notifications may appear more often than expected.

Read the post - it's the Radeon Settings  Advisor that I reported on.
It seems to be fixed in 19.1.1 on R9 Nano.as I stated above.

I have not checked on RX Vega 64 Liquid yet. The PC with the RX Vega 64 Liquid is currently stripped down, been cleaned, been fully electrically tested and I will be fitting it with a brand new Corsair AX1600i PSU in an attempt to see if I can get that RX Vega 64 Liquid GPU to run for more than 30 minutes without Blackscreen and Audio Buzz and PC Freezing with some recent AMD Driver.

(2) It is version 18.12.2.

(3). W.r.t. the notification recommending WHQL - It is confusing for some people obviously though I do not really care about it so much. Maybe New Recommended Driver should be "WHQL Driver", instead of "New Recommended". As far as I see it though, they are all beta quality drivers anyhow these days.

RE: So many comments for nothing, focus and report on real bugs.
It is a real bug, it seems to be fixed for an R9 Nano at least in 19.1.1. It seems to have been fixed because it was clearly causing confusion for lots of people looking at Adrenalin 2019.

In terms of spending more time to focus and report on real bugs.
No thanks.

Unless of course someone will actually listen and fix some of the real bugs within say 1.5 years of reporting them. Like Radeon Chill for example.

Or maybe since it is  is so important as it was specifically pointed out by AMD CEO at CES2019 as a great new Radeon Adrenalin 2019 feature, someone might fix Automatic Overclocking on RX Vega 64 Liquid so it doesn't immediately crash and freeze the PC.

Bye.

colesdav wrote:

Fixed Issues

• Radeon Settings Advisor may incorrectly suggest older versions of Radeon Software as an update.

Yeah, "fixed", uh huh.

amdupgradelol.png

0 Likes

The Radeon Settings Advisor recommendation is different to the above notification.

The Radeon Advisor looks like this:

pastedImage_5.png

0 Likes

I would like to see this notification much less frequently:
pastedImage_0.png

0 Likes
adriang
Journeyman III

updated to 19.1.1 and still asking for "new recommended" 18.12.2 ....annoying!!

0 Likes

Hi

Are you just seeing the notification for new update like this?

pastedImage_0.png

and

pastedImage_1.png

or is the Radeon Advisor telling you to update to an older version? - The following should be fixed:
pastedImage_5.png

You can always go to preferences and turn notifications off like this:

pastedImage_2.png

Bye.

0 Likes