Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Stefan1991
Adept I

Unable to achieve 1920x1080 @ 120 HZ with RX 6800

Hello,

today I received the RX6800 graphic card and I have a problem with the resolution of my TV. I always played with 1920x1080 and 120 Hz, now with the new card it only allows 60 Hz, no matter which resolution I use.

Maybe I found the problem, but I dont know how to fix. In the display settings of windows I see:

Desktop resolution: 1920 x 1080

active signal resolution: 3840 x 2160

In the AMD software I tried to create a "custom made resolution" with 1920x1080 and 120 Hz, I was agle to save it, but even if thats active, no success. The active signal is still 3840x2160.

Can anybody help me please?

Thanks

Greetings

Stefan

0 Likes
2 Solutions

If you TV native Resolution is 4k@60hz that would be the maximum Frequency that will be supported at 60hz.

So I don't know how you are getting 120hz resolution from a TV with a maximum 60hz Resolution unless it is artificially done through Radeon Settings feature.

View solution in original post

Forget my last post, the TV has 120 Hz native

Solved the problem, can play with 120 Hz again. Now with 1440p resolution. Was able to change it in Windows in another window (somewhere in properties). I have it in German.

Thanks for the help.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Which GPU were you using before that gave you 2k@120Hz?

First: how is your TV physically connected to your GPU card?

Second: what is the native Resolution of your TV set (4k@120hz or 4K@60hz?)

Third: why don't you want to play your games at 4K which is visually better then 2K even if it is at 60Hz?

NOTE: This tech site gives a good explanation of your TV's EDID information: https://thehometheaterdiy.com/hdmi-edid/

Fourth: Info on your PC setup and Windows and AMD Versions installed.

I would check your TV settings to see if you can get 2k@120hz. The GPU card is reading your TV EDID which indicates its native resolution is 4k@ whatever its maximum frequency is and that is what is showing.

0 Likes

Hello,

the TV is connected with HDMI. The native resolution Im not sure, I guess 4k 60Hz.

I prefer playing racing games at 120 Hz, feels smoother

I´ll check the EDID topic, thanks

0 Likes

If you TV native Resolution is 4k@60hz that would be the maximum Frequency that will be supported at 60hz.

So I don't know how you are getting 120hz resolution from a TV with a maximum 60hz Resolution unless it is artificially done through Radeon Settings feature.

Forget my last post, the TV has 120 Hz native

Solved the problem, can play with 120 Hz again. Now with 1440p resolution. Was able to change it in Windows in another window (somewhere in properties). I have it in German.

Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the update. That explains how you were able to get 2k@120hz your previous GPU.

The new Windows Settings is more complicated to use than the old Windows Control Panel.

Glad you were able to find the correct Windows settings to give you again 2k@120Hz.

By the way, that must be an expensive TV that has 4k@120hz.

Do you use that as your main Monitor? If you do how does the text look like on the screen?

I read several Cons concerning using a TV instead of a Monitor as your Main Display.

But I read that some of today's TV's are made to run PC Games like on a Monitor and are close to the quality of a PC Monitor.

0 Likes

Turn off GPU Scaling and super resolution in adrenaline.  This should solve it.  Then enable game mode.

0 Likes

The solution is to disable GPU scaling in adrenaline. 

0 Likes