cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

vlad_8011
Adept III

The Last of Us crashing only with SAM ON

Hi. I made some research about the issue, specially about my card, which is Rx 6800 XT. I tried to play game last week, on 24.2.1, game was crashing every few minutes (usually crash before 5 minutes runs out). Game log say "device removed". I checked event viewer and device wasn't removed. There was no u plugging sound, driver did NOT crashed, only game did. I quickly found out (from steam forums) that disabling SAM fixes the issue. And indeed it fixed it. I have reported issue via driver bug reporting tool 2 or 3 days before new drivers was released.

So I installed 24.3.1 drivers, played around the hour no crash. Did you updated SAM profile for this game, or can I expect it will crash again on next session? I have no complete chassis for my PC (I'm painting it), so I cannot check this right now, but after I will done painting I want to play TLOU, and want to know, if I will be able to.

Just for quick troubleshooting steps I tried on 24.2.1:

- tried all video settings presets (including fsr on/off)

- vsync on/off, Frame rate cap on/off (in game)

- tried all texture optimisations options for this game in adrenaline software.

- Radeon chill on/off (60fps), frame rate cap to 60 (on/off)

Now what is more strange, I played this game few months ago, in December or November 2023 and it was not crashing.

May it be related to shader cache size limit (4gb)? I played "gunner heat PC", "wreckfest", "Alan wake 2", "the last of us", "pacific drive", "gates of hell ostfront ", "robocop". 

BTW - AMD - 4gb limit for shader cache is way to small for today's games - let's not lie ourself - optimisation of today titles is on its knees. There should be adjustable limit or at least 10gb. 

0 Likes
0 Replies