Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

egor147
Adept I

Stutter on Youtube 1080p60, Ryzen 3200U - GPU VCN Clock stuck at 29MHz

Hello,

there is presumably bug in AMD graphics drivers, which leads to massive stuttering while watching Youtube 1080p60 videos (vp9 codec).

During stutters I can see in HWINFO64 that the "GPU VCN Clock" goes from variable numbers to fixed 29MHz and sits there for long time. Also, Windows Task Manager shows "Video Codec 0" shows 100% usage. There is no other CPU or GPU load, no thermal throttling occuring. Windows 10 21H2, I've tried driver version Adrenalin 22.1.2 and Adrenalin 21.10.2 - there were no difference with the problem.

Also, I've sent reports about the problem using AMD bug report tool.

Any suggestions to resolve the issue? Thanks

2022-02-03 235734.png

11 Replies
txlon5
Journeyman III

I can't offer any good ideas but I have this happen so much too. Happens on any website with video even the Steam application and I have a 6800XT so you're not the only experiencing this bug. Very annoying though I cannot recreate it all the time, just pops up.

Acutally,Nope.

AMD has strange bug with vp9 decode. I doubt that it would not be fixed.

In my case, what I found 

1.mutiple moniters are easier happen stutters than the single moniter.

2. mutiple heavy gpu requirements are also easier happen stutters than the one requirement.

e.g. playing a web game with watching youtube in the same time vs just whatching youtube.

3. VCN burden over 40% is easier happen stutters.

4.In youtube, the stutter' rate : 1080P60 above> 1080p>720P below (After the stutter hapen once, the problem might also happen at 480p in the same process. You might need to close the media player or web browser page to fix it.)

5. Edge seems to be more stable than Chrome

I hope these tips can help you.  The AMD apu is a good choice in these days to play  light games. However, if you want to watch Youtube without problems and support av1 decode in the lowest cost , intel cpu with uhd 7xx which is better choice.

tenzo23
Elite

It looks like the dips in your GPU activity coincide with the dips in your WiFi graph shown in Task Manager, so it's likely a network issue or limited bandwidth causing buffering problems with video streaming.

When you look at Buffer Health in the YouTube "Stats for nerds" window, white indicates poor or low health.

So I would look at your internet connection/plan and see if it has enough bandwidth for all the internet devices in your home.

System requirements - YouTube 

Update your network card drivers. If it's a USB WiFi adapter, make sure it's connected to a USB2.0/3.0+ port. If you have your own WiFi router, change the channel(s) to ones which are less congested to avoid interference from neighbors. I like to use a free app from the Google Play store on my phone called WiFi Analyzer (open-source) from VREM Software Dev. It'll show  you all the WiFi access points around you, what band and channels they're on, and channel ratings so you can choose the best ones for your router.

/sig Fun guy.
0 Likes

I am sure that it is not just a network problem.

You can download and play a video from youtbue with vp9 decode. It still has the problem once in a while.

Besides, the bug only happen in a video with vp9 decode, others' deocede(ex:HEVC)  is fine.

Futhermore, the situation would not happen in the web browser which use openGL or disable HW acceration.

Your comment is not relevant to the attached screenshot in my first message.

My screenshot includes info "stats for nerds", it includes "buffer health info", also I mentioned that it is NOT a network problem, as video stream is cached in advance. 

@egor147 

Yes, again, if you look at your stats you can see very little Network Activity (showing only 2 packets) meaning a poor internet connection or low bandwidth.

Your Buffer Health goes white, meaning it's lost streaming information.

Your GPU clock drops because there's nothing to encode.

I tried vp9 playback at 4k60, 1080p60, browser hardware acceleration on and off, and could not replicate the stuttering issues. 

Screenshot 2022-02-11 153452.jpgScreenshot 2022-02-11 160113.jpg

/sig Fun guy.

You can see that GPU is busy decoding at 29 MHz (see task manager Video Codec 0 in my screenshot), it is obvious that 29 mhz is not sufficent for the stream decoding, so no new data is requested via wifi connection - because it is not done with already received data, no need to request new data.

SigureJuko
Adept I

I found how to fix this, I have created a ryzenadj script to set a minimum clock speed of the VCN

https://www.mediafire.com/file/ols2w9j4pryamcp/fix_vcn_clocks.rar/file

you can make it run when you start with the task scheduler, i recomend reapply this setting every 15min

How to create an automated task using Task Scheduler on Windows 10 | Windows Central

my english is bad sorry

And where is link to Github documentation.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

simply download ryzenadj from github https://github.com/FlyGoat/RyzenAdj and run the program with the following arguments ''ryzenadj.exe --min-vcn 600'' (or the minimum value you want) the driver could reset this setting ai that for more convenience create a scheduler task with admin privileges (I recommend every 15min), is the only solution that I find to this bug that amd has not corrected in a year

I apologize for not knowing that I could not send mediafire files just trying to help

0 Likes
fway
Adept I

Same with me. Created one more topic here with detailed description

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/youtube-video-stutter-with-gpu-amp-cpu-util-going-down...