Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

felipemendes
Journeyman III

Screen resolution stuck in 480p when installing amd video driver

Hello guys,

I just bought a PC with Ryzen 5 5600G processor, and I'm facing some problems, that I didn't find solution in my research over the internet.

I made a clean install of windows 10, and I just installed all the updates available to it but when I install the Ryzen 5 5600G video driver, my windows 10 bugs, and the screen resolution stucks in 480p. Note: My monitor has 1080p resolution.

I tried to install the newest version from AMD support page (

Adrenalin 22.2.1 Optional), but the problem still happening.

I also tried to install the Adrenalin 22.1.2 Optional (WHQL), Adrenalin 22.1.1 Optional, and Adrenalin 21.12.1 Optional versions, and had no success.

I also tried to uninstall de video driver from devices manager, restart pc and reinstall it, but had no success again.

Finally, the solution to set windows to work in 1080p again, is going to the devices manager, and reverting driver to basic video adapter from microsoft. 

I really don't know what do, and I becoming desperate because of it.

Can someone help me, please? If you guys want more information about anything, just ask it.

4 Replies
cemlyn
Journeyman III

Same problem here. Having to avoid the AMD drivers like the plague. I’ve got Windows 11 installed.

0 Likes

I had the same issue with a client´s machine. I simply made a fresh Windows 10 install and let Windows Update download the driver.

I was using VGA when I had the issue, but I think that as soon as I changed to HDMI it was fixed.

Hi Chester, interesting to hear.

I originally tested my new PC with a display port cable and it worked fine, it was only when I used a HDMI cable instead that Windows did something that lowered the resolution to 480p.

I used DDU to remove the drivers, and after restarting I had the correct 1080p resolution, using the Microsoft basic driver. Then I downloaded the drivers for the specific CPU from AMD, but after installation the resolution changed to 480p.

Part of the problem with it being in 480p, is that I cannot agree to the EULA for the custom resolution on Adrenalin because the buttons don’t fit on the screen!

0 Likes

I had the same issue. I think that I pressed Space in order to accept the EULA, but I´m not sure. Anyway, it seems that the output is related to this issue, since I had the 640p locked res with VGA but not HDMI, and you have it with HDMI but not DP.

I have read that either downgrading or updating your motherboard´s BIOS might help, but remember that if you downgrade it to a version that doesn´t support your CPU, you will need to find a borrowed working CPU that posts, or externally update it to a version that supports your current CPU.

0 Likes