cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Niloc79
Adept I

RX580 - Moving Black Blotches / Dots and White Dots on Monitor after AMD Driver Install - Windows

Hi

I'm posting in the hope that someone may help find a solution.  Despite searching, I've not solved this yet.

I get moving black blotches and dots on teh windows sign-in screen and moving white dots on windows desktop environment.  This issue affects monitor outputs from RX580 (Display Port and HDMI) and the integrated graphic soutput on the mobo (HDMI) when using one or two monitors in all combinations.

This problem does not occur until AMD drivers are installed via AMD install file or windows update.  It first occurred in Win 11, so I did win 10 clean install and it is still a problem.  It also seems to affect Ubuntu with black dots when run from, USB.

I've tried updating to the newest driiver and used a selection of older ones which previously worked fine to no avail. (DDU / Clean Install of all drivers every time.)

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Or can you offer any advice please?

Thanks

System:

ASUS Radeon RX580 8GB Dual GPU
Asrock Z77 Extreme4 Mobo
i7 2600k @ 4.5Ghz
16Gb G Skill RAM
1TB Crucial MX500 Boot Drive

1 Solution
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Have you tried clearing the CMOS and resetting the BIOS?

After trying that

I would reseat the GPU and disable any overclocks if any are being used. 

Next, I would disable Windows update from updating the GPU drivers in the Group Policy Editor.

I would then try different drivers again, once Windows update can't overwrite any drivers you have installed. 

When you boot into Ubuntu do you load up Windows or do you select Ubuntu from a boot menu and launch into only it? Is it the only OS running?

If the issue is present in Ubuntu, and you already said it is, it would seem to me you have a hardware issue.

Do you know someone with a system you can test the GPU in to see if the GPU is the issue? If you test it in another PC and you get the same result you can narrow down the issue to the GPU it's self and then you can determine if it is a hardware issue or a software conflict. Also just to check, do you have any extra RAM kits around to test if it is an issue with your RAM? 

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB

View solution in original post

4 Replies
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

If the issue is present when both old and new drivers are installed, it could be a hardware issue. Is the artifacting present in BIOS?

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes

Thanks for your reply.

The issue is present with both old and new drivers.  I use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) to completely remove drivers before updating.  When drivers are uninstalled, the artefacts disappear.

There are no artefacts in BIOS.

Thanks

cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Have you tried clearing the CMOS and resetting the BIOS?

After trying that

I would reseat the GPU and disable any overclocks if any are being used. 

Next, I would disable Windows update from updating the GPU drivers in the Group Policy Editor.

I would then try different drivers again, once Windows update can't overwrite any drivers you have installed. 

When you boot into Ubuntu do you load up Windows or do you select Ubuntu from a boot menu and launch into only it? Is it the only OS running?

If the issue is present in Ubuntu, and you already said it is, it would seem to me you have a hardware issue.

Do you know someone with a system you can test the GPU in to see if the GPU is the issue? If you test it in another PC and you get the same result you can narrow down the issue to the GPU it's self and then you can determine if it is a hardware issue or a software conflict. Also just to check, do you have any extra RAM kits around to test if it is an issue with your RAM? 

Hi,

Many thanks for your suggestions.

It was a faulty GPU.  As a result, I've upgraded my whole computer and it's now working as it should.

Cheers

Colin