Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

nradic
Adept II

RX 7900XTX driver timeout with XMP enabled

Hello,

I already started a discussion about the driver timing out frequently here:
https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/7900-xtx-driver-timeout/m-p/570943#M166361

Now that i figured out whats causing it, I hope someone from AMD or the AMD community can help with figuring out how to fix it.

tl:dr:
I have 32GB of RAM at 6000MHz, when i enable XMP/EXPO to actually get to 6000MHz, it always leads to blackscreens because my GPU Driver is crashing every few minutes.

Now if I disable it and run the base 4800MHz, if works fine.

I have stumbled across more ppl that report the same issue with large and fast RAM speeds. My solution with turning of XMP worked for them aswell.

Does anyone know why this is happening or what u can do to fix it?
Is my card broken do i need to return it?

(already checked RAM with memtest and cpu benchmarks, everything works fine. Tried my ols 1070, system worked fine)

PLEASE, someone help, I am frustrated..

Best Regards,
Niko

16 Replies
Mashed
Adept I

Driver 23.1.1 didn't fix it unfortunately

0 Likes

nope the update did nothing for my problem aswell sadly

0 Likes
xlox
Forerunner

gpu crash doesn"t mean gpu problem or driver problem , it's consequence to other problem.. what you say seems ram setting problem

as you have new hardware, this ram compatibility problem happen often and gets solved usually by updating pc motherboard bios

memtest doesn't always help in that cases if it makes you think it's not about ram

did you update your bios to last version ?

if bios ok and still no good , try to set ram timings manually

then there could be other reason like psu maybe

Yes I agree, but the System running stable with EXPO enabled with an NVIDI card (1070) kinda gives the hint that the probability is kinda high that its somewhat about the GPU. Maybe the nvidia card is a bit old to compare it yes but still kinda weird it is that way to not be something "fixable" from AMDs side.

Bios is updated aswell, although the specific RAM kit is not on the "Support list" the Profile uses the exact manufacturer timings and voltages. Tried it out and works fine for memtest and nvidia card, as soon as I put in my AMD card it starts crashing the driver.

PSU I also swapped from 750 to 850, since I have read many comments that u kinda "need" a 850W PSU, didnt change anything. Also the crashes appear when browsing or not doing anything, Power consumption was not really an indicator for when it happens.

I wish I could read the AMD logs for the exact crashing reasons other than just it timed out and see if this tells me something ..

0 Likes

1070 vs 7900xtx , not same gpu "category" ... not same power draw , not same exigence on the rest of components, .. maybe a 6600 would work as fine as the 1070 on ,your system.. don't know if i'm clear , hard to compare things like that just saying with this it works so it's other's fault ... a crash can occure in minutes as it can occure in days if there is some little instability somewhere , depends on lot of things, and changing for bigger gpu can increase the origin of instability .. i see it like that regarding different situation i've had too .. sometimes you think it's weird until you realize the problem had it's origin elsewhere from where you were searching

what you say seem indicating ram , so if not in qvl list , difficult to be sure it has to work 100% at it's timmings .. again memtest ok doesn't mean it's stable , just eventually not faulty for what i know

if you know what you're doing you can try ram at xmp timings but with a LITTLE more voltage to see if it helps stability (for exemple if default ram voltage is 1.3V , try to increase little by little 1.31,  1.32 , and see if it improve something .. but don't go to high  .. maybe give us you ram model so somebody can help with it (i don't know about ddr5)

0 Likes
Paan
Adept II

I suggest u to manually downclock ur ram start from 6kmhz below until stable. Like mine i cant use xmp but i manually setting my ram to 3400mhz. And its stable.

Downclocked the RAM from 6000MTs to 5600MTs and it works.

It's still a mystery why it crashes when XMP is enabled tho.

0 Likes

this is about new hardware and surely a new bios will improve ram stability , ...

0 Likes
MADZyren
Paragon

Some G.Skill kits have issues with stability while EXPO enabled. I would reduce speed to 5800 or 5600.

Paan
Adept II

Hi. I use g.skill too with r7 5800x msi x570 mpg wifi. FCLK AND UCLK u need to check those at hwinfo at sensor. If u set 3600mhz it should be half from that speed. Usually those clk was set to AUTO under ram setting in bios. Then yesterday i bought a dominator c18 4 sticks 32gb 3600mhz and i run XMP and its stable. Im not sure either g.skill have a compability issue with my mobo..

McKormac
Journeyman III

Same here, i have to disable xmp profile to stop the driver crashing.

If i write the timing voltage and frequency manualy i have the probleme too.

The only way to be stable is to let all the dram parameter in "auto". So instead of 32go of 4000mhz ddr4  i have 2600mhz. Plz amd or asus do something.

0 Likes

if it's about ram you will have to update bios , or try to adjust manually , would be weird if you can't get to 3600 with 4000 ddr4 ..but 4000 won't be guaranted because it's ram controller overclocking for what i know

i had once 4400 trident z gold , was "ok" on one cpu but could eventually cause instabilities after 2 or 3 days , but didn't work @4400 on another cpu but @4200 but the same i wasn't really sure about stability after some time... then i sold the 4400 cause i got tired about searching for stability above 3600,  and got 2x32go @3600 cl16 and never had any stability issue anymore ... ram@4400 doesn't mean your cpu will handle them at 4400 even with xmp... so , sure 4400 is fast , but in game you won't feel the difference and it doesn't worth the time wasted if you're not a professional ram overclocker

0 Likes

Bios is up to date.

This setup was working perfectly with my 3070TI and iis crashing permenently with the 7900XTX.

The RAM is not the probleme, the 7900XTX with this RAM is the probleme.

I had exact same oposite drivers crushed like mad without it, which ofc doesnt metter but it was hilarious.

0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

I would maintain the speed and loosen the timings or the other way around if you wish, tighten the timings and lower the speed.

I had to loose a bit the timings on my corsair kit, dial down the voltage on the dram and increase SoC voltage a bit.

Almost perfectly stable. But each computer has its own will.

The Englishman
0 Likes

Is there a guide on how to start with custom timings, or do you just go with the default and change it a little bit each time? 

My issue with this is that my Gigabyte Gaming X AX seems to be very buggy, i cannot safe custom timings, when i try it, it deletes even the expo profile...

0 Likes