Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Turkoz
Journeyman III

RX 7900 XT Driver timeout with two monitors

Hello.

I recently upgraded to a Sapphire RX 7900 XT Gaming 20GB GDDR from an old NVIDIA GTX 970 and been having issues.

The crash behaves as following: Black screen on both monitors and then a driver timeout (amdwddmg not responding).

The crash frequency depends. Sometimes 5min of gaming, sometimes I can play for longer  (in all games):

I found out that having two monitors make me crash because  whenever I play with 1 screen,  it results in no problems. (I tried both of my monitors on their own, no problem).

PC specs:

Motherboard: ASUS TUF B550-Plus Gaming

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X

PSU: Corsair 850w

GPU: Sapphire RX 7900 XT Gaming 20GB GDDR5 (mounted with 2 separate 8pin power cables) (AMD SmartAccess Memory is on (tried off too)).

RAM: 2x Kingston Fury DDR4 16GB 3600Mhz

Monitor 1 : AOC 1080p144hz (DP cable)

Monitor 2 : Samsung 1080p 60hz (HDMI - Not Freesync-capable)

I'll list the things I've tried to diagnose this problem:

• Disabled Freesync (still crashes, only available on my main monitor)
  • DDU
  • Clean Install Windows
  • Latest BIOS
  • Latest AMD drivers
  • MPO disabled
  • Latest chipsets drivers

GPU temps are okay.

The only solution I've found so far is to only have a single monitor connected.

Thank you!

2 Replies
ThreeDee
Paragon

Have you tried with XMP/DOCP disabled for testing purposes? 

3600 speeds on a 3000 series IMC is pushing it pretty good .. maybe handling 2 displays is enough to push it over the edge

I run an ASUS 27" 60hz 1080p secondary and a Samsung 27" 1440p 144hz 4ms primary on my 7900xt without issue .. first on my AM4 setup (5900x w/4x16GB 3600, x570 Taichi) and now on my AM5 setup

Just spit ball'n here

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes

I tried with the second DOCP profile at 3000Mhz and crashed instantly, so I think having it Off wouldn't help either. Someone on Reddit mentioned having the exact same issue and said that using driver 23.1.1 helped and it did for me. I also found out (just like that guy) that matching the refresh rates at 60Hz on both monitors seems to prevent crashes too.

0 Likes