cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

BrianT2081
Adept I

Rx 6500 Xt bad performance

Hello! Thanks for reading this post. A few months ago I bought an Rx 6500 Xt, and I have problems with performance. I think it's the drivers. Why do I think this way? Because when playing heavy games, be it Red Dead Redemption 2, or Detroit Become Human, the GPU performs very well. But, when playing "older" video games, the performance is affected considerably, for example GTA V, the same developer as rockstar, this game in 1080p High graphics, does not go more than 70 fps, sometimes going down to 20. I have to say I have the speeds increased. It does not have high temperatures, but the GPU does not use more than its 40% in these games, the speeds are forced to the maximum (2850) But the GPU does not ''effort'' it uses 30 to 40w. Quite the opposite of RedDead 2 that uses its 100% and its maximum speed up to 90w when the situation demands it, having a stable 60 fps at all times, except for exceptions where the GPU is demanded more than it can give, as is logical. It is worth mentioning that, for example, Fortnite is unfortunately the game that is WORST for me, it is having fps from 190 to 10, even grotesque freezes of 5 seconds, and the same thing happens, the graphics handles 40% or 50% of its capacity Does this happen to anyone else? Sorry if the wording of this post is bad, I literally used google translator to not write in Spanish

My components are: ASUS A520m A-II

Ryzen 5 3400G

8x2 3200MhZ Geil

Thermaltake smartRGB 600w 80 White

Qick 210 Rx 6500 Xt 4gb

SSD Kingston 480Gb

Drivers: Adrenalin 22.8.2

0 Likes
6 Replies
vialli100
Forerunner

For starters the Power supply you have is junk..

It gets bad reviews, I would get a good quality 80 bronze or gold @ 600w  ie: Seasonic, corsair or other good make..

Some of the older games can be quite CPU intensive and one is GTA V, so the GPU would not be so heavily used.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
0 Likes

Hello! Thank you very much for taking the time to read my post and respond. I don't think it's a power supply problem. Although it is true that it is not the best xD. It hasn't given me any problems either, how can I mention It only happens in older games. I rather think it's a software bug, the CPU rarely reaches 80% usage. I doubt that is it, since before I played it with integrated graphics and it was more stable

0 Likes

Some games even older ones are more demanding than others. Might want to invest in a 8GB card. I have a W6600, but its only two drivers i use which are the best. Enterprise 21.q3 ( which I'm using now ) or Adrenalin 21.10.2. Maybe try them. 

The newest drivers i have issues with in performance as well.  But seriously, i would invest in a 8GB card in 2022, anything less seems pointless if you're going to mid to high level of gaming. 

0 Likes

Thanks for your answer!. Unfortunately, due to the situation in my country (Argentina), it is quite difficult to get new GPUs. So I'm ruling it out for now.. I will try to try those drivers that you recommend, and if the performance is efficient I will let you know in this post! Thank you very much for your time

No problem and good luck. I have been noticing older drivers are better than new ones anyway, and i stand by my word on that after all the testing i do with my gpus', this is what i notice with me anyway. 

0 Likes
ThreeDee
Paragon

I had the 500wtt version of your power supply . .and as stated ..do yourself a favor and get a better PSU. I recommend 80+ Gold rated or better with enough wattage to more than handle what your system will demand when all it's components are under full load.

My wife had a 3700x with 2 x 16GB 3200 sticks of RAM on an ASRock B550m Phantom Gaming 4 and an ASRock RX 550 2GB GPU, Thermaltake RGB 500wtt 80 Plus (White) PSU

Having driver timeouts and odd issues that pointed to a GPU and/or GPU driver issue. I used DDU to clean out past AMD drivers and installed old and new drivers to no avail .. changed memory speeds, updated her BIOS .. just trying stuff even though not directly related to her exact issues .. 

Replaced her PSU with a Segotep (Big in China but still not a great PSU) 600wtt 80+ Gold power supply and issues went away

Now she runs a 5600x , 2 x 8GB 3466 stuff on same motherboard with same GPU and still no issues.

That being said .. things that can help performance after you upgrade your PSU:

Update your motherboards BIOS

Run the program called DDU to remove all past AMD GPU drivers (and Nvidia drivers if you ran an Nvidia card on this install of Windows) .. reboot and THEN install latest drivers from AMD.com

Be sure to install latest AM4 Chipset drivers from AMD.com

Make sure your RAM is running at it's rated 3200 speed (Task Manager>Performance>Memory)

Make sure your Windows install is up to date

..and make sure your monitor is plugged into your RX 6500 XT 4GB GPU and not to the video out ports on your motherboard 

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes