Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Curi0
Adept I

RX 580 clock speeds jumping to 1300mhz while idling every 60 seconds

Curi0_0-1677473521795.png

This always happens after driver 23.2.1 the GPU clock spikes to 1300mhz every 60 seconds while idling or just using web browser.

Additionally after PC is on for around 8 hours GPU clock speed won't idle and will jump around in addition to the spikes every 60 seconds, rebooting fixes this though.

Curi0_1-1677473722497.png

I'm using driver 23.2.2 and it has both of these bugs. 22.5.2 doesn't do this

76 Replies

Having a RX480 8GB OC from Sapphire and the problem is still there.

0 Likes
美優梨
Adept II

umm...

RX580_clock_spike.png

Yeah, it's pretty insane.

gpuz.PNG

0 Likes
emilioarg
Adept III

Same here, I just reported it from the app, maybe if they see several reports they will see it and fix it.

0 Likes
geomantis
Adept III

23.8.2 (WHQL Recommended) same problem.

omarzayn69
Journeyman III

Guys what about 23.8.2?

0 Likes

same bug.

And also 23.9.1.

Now plus with broken gpu tuning that freeze pc with black screen.

I have sapphire rx570 pulse 4gb

0 Likes
userrando
Adept I

Still experiencing the issue!

- Driver version 23.9.1

0 Likes
Stanmore
Adept III

RX580X and plain RX580.

Yet to see this issue. With minimal or full install.

Win 11 Pro 22H2.

0 Likes

If you have full-install and RadeonSoftware.exe running, this bug will occur.

And 23.9.1 should never be full-installed.
It hangs even though it does nothing.

0 Likes

I'm specifically telling you for my two cards in my two rigs. it is not happening.  

I am not saying it does not occur for others.

Edit - oh and both rigs are on 24/7. One is a Plex server, the other a low end gaming machine. Both currently run 23.9.1 and full install. Both were on minimal install but after seeing this thread I did a full install on both to check. Win 11 Pro 22H2.

Also, I only do update/installs by downloading the update. I never use the update process within Radeon. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Okay, but the fact that you don't have this problem won't help us, because obviously most people have it, and there are many people that will never even notice this, unless they start looking for it, I never noticed it, until I saw it on reddit.

It's individual, my clock speed jumping like crazy meanwhile.

I was making the point to the person I replied to that this isn't an issue for all RX580s.

You say

@FrutyX wrote:

obviously most people have it

Are you referring to people in this thread, in which case your comment is true. If you are referring to all owners of RX580 cards, I would challenge the validity of that assessment.

The fact that I have two RX580 cards that do not have this issue suggests that something else is at play besides just the driver/software.

0 Likes
FrutyX
Adept I

Anyone willing to test, let us know how 23.9.2 runs.

Thank you.

0 Likes

Same problem plus computer freeze in performance->gpu tuning.

No improvement the same issue continues.

- 23.9.2 polaris/vega driver.

0 Likes

It's time for geomantis to reappear and say that it's still not fixed in 23.9.3, haha :D.

I think it's not gonna be fixed, until it is actually in the "Known" issues, or the "Fixed" ones...

But just be careful, when you are testing new drivers, I've had my share of troubleshooting with the drivers... So far, I am staying with 23.5.2 (RX580), because they seems to me the most stable.

FrutyX
Adept I

23.10.1 is out, volunteers can hop in to test this version.

(https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-23-10-1 , the combined version is a little bit further on the site)

Probably the same as 23.9.2

0 Likes
relampago
Adept I

Does anyone know if after 22.11.1 any version doesn't have this problem?
I also have this problem here, I use radeon software and load an underclock profile locked at 300 mhz but is a pain...

0 Likes
geomantis
Adept III

23.11.1 same problems.

I've lost count of how months.

0 Likes

Sad, I've had hopes for 23.11.1, I guess they are not gonna fix it...

But thanks for the info, and other than that, 11.1 running fine on Polaris?

0 Likes
angelo15
Journeyman III

I'm also having this problem, with my clock speed rising to 1300MHz every minute, and GPU temp rising as seen in the spikes on the graph. I'm running Adrenalin 23.11.1 with an RX 580. I need a fix its driving me crazy

angelo15_0-1699219611775.png

the only option is to install just the drivers without the rest of the adrenaline package, or create a profile on wattman locked at 300 MHZ.

Don't forget to report the error with the driver tool and pray for AMD to do something

Minimal adrenalin install is fine(no driver only option needed) and msi afterburner for gpu/fan tuning.

relampago
Adept I

Has anyone tested the pro drivers?

0 Likes
moxia51
Journeyman III

moxia51_0-1702124431393.png

Still happen here at the pro 23Q3.1 version

0 Likes
Stanmore
Adept III

ChatGPT ?

relampago
Adept I

Polaris is dead so this problem may not be solved.
It's ridiculous because it's a problem that reduces the lifespan of the GPU, unnecessarily...

emilioarg
Adept III

And the worst thing is that configuring the frequencies manually crashes the driver and the system.

I don't pretend that they keep releasing drivers for polaris, it's dead, but this really needs a solution...

Yeah I have the same issue on 23.11.1 (latest) driver too, I get a green screen. OC works fine on 23.8.2

relampago
Adept I

24.1.1 came out, I'm not even going to bother testing because I don't believe they solved the problem, however in the notes it says that they solved the o.c management problem! at least that's it...

if someone tests it, please give feedback

0 Likes

I don't know about the idle clock issue, it looks fine here, but I don't think I had that problem before.
Now, the 24.1.1 did fix the problem I had with my 480 where the drivers/system would crash by simply enabling some tuning settings -even when left at default values-

The idle clocks problem remain.

The performance tuning seems ok.

Sapphire pulse rx570 4gb, full install adrenalin.

Tchorg
Adept I

I've had this problem for a year and a half, I even wrote about it once
https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/rx580-strange-behaviour-installing-the-latest-driver-2...UsageUsage

0 Likes
emilioarg
Adept III

By installing the minimum version, the problem of the inactive clock disappears.

0 Likes
relampago
Adept I

yes but we lost a lot of features
personally I prefer to use an old driver

0 Likes