Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Curi0
Adept I

RX 580 clock speeds jumping to 1300mhz while idling every 60 seconds

Curi0_0-1677473521795.png

This always happens after driver 23.2.1 the GPU clock spikes to 1300mhz every 60 seconds while idling or just using web browser.

Additionally after PC is on for around 8 hours GPU clock speed won't idle and will jump around in addition to the spikes every 60 seconds, rebooting fixes this though.

Curi0_1-1677473722497.png

I'm using driver 23.2.2 and it has both of these bugs. 22.5.2 doesn't do this

76 Replies
135x
Journeyman III

Hello!
I would like to ask you did you find any solution to this problem, I have been having this problem lately, so I am trying to find the solution, hit me up you have any updates, thank you!

medaa
Adept I

Hello i wanna say that we have same problem from uodate where amd fixed 100% utilization , then this problem came up. There is no fix from amd , just be on older drivers , i rly hope that fix will come up soon , amd rly messed up with rx500series....

Medaa

I am having no issues with my RX580X and the latest drivers.

This isn’t an issue with all RX500 series cards.

I did not have this issue when i just updated drivers but after playing some games i see that this is happening . So im not sure is it happening after gaming or when i start my pc , i just see when gpu is on idling(not using) after 5minutes this start to happens so be patient and after gaming , leave your pc for about 10minutes or 20 then see parameters , just watch vram window in amd performance tab. 

As I said - no issues as described with my RX580X GPU.

I also run an RX580 on an older desktop and it also does not have this issue.

geomantis
Adept III

I have the same problem after 22.11.2 driver with the 100% gpu clock fix.

This cause problem with dropped frames in 23.976fps movies in 24hz display with mpc-hc,be and kodi with sync rendered and sync playback to display and in retroarch every ~60 seconds.

Sapphire rx570 pulse

geomantis
Adept III

gpuz clock sensors every 54 seconds.gif

johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Hi,
What troubleshooting have you done?

Did you tried the factory reset inside adrenalin?
Did you tried DDU?
Does the card has dual BIOS, if yes can you try it?
Are you sure you don't have any process using the card in the background? 

You should also check for malware, there were in the crypto mining boom, lots of malware that were using the GPU quietly without the user knowing.

If with older drivers the problem goes away, I would roll back.

Good luck

The Englishman
FcB-ZaRe
Adept II

This issue is caused by Relive, if you dont use this feature you can choose the minimal install on the driver install setup but you will lose the performance tab too. You can always use msi afterburner for overclocking/undervolting/fan curve.

If you want to keep the performance tab you have to uninstall Relive. For uninstalling it:

1- unpack with 7-Zip the driver then find cc2-install.exe file and unpack it with 7-Zip too.
2- Inside the unpacked cc2-install folder click on 'CN' folder.
3- click on 'wvr64' folder and then right click the file 'wvr64.msi' and select uninstall from the context menu.
4- go back and click on 'amddvr' folder and do the same with 'amddvr.msi' file.
5- Reboot and voila, Relive is uninstalled and the problem is fixed. The con of this is that you lose the overlay too and you wont be able to use the hotkeys anymore.

Another workaround is to disable startCN and startDVR on the task scheduler, this will prevent the control panel and Relive to load automatically when you boot your pc but once you open manually the control panel it will load Relive again so it will trigger the issue until you reboot.

Greetings!

How i can unpack .exe driver file , can you tell me exactly how to find that cc2install folder and what exactly i need to unpack to delete Relive .

hi, install 7-Zip if you dont have it installed and then right click above the driver file and in the context menu you will see 7-Zip option, then pick extract in "whql-amd...". when it finishes extracting the files you can find the cc2-install.exe file inside the folder "whql-amd-software-adrenalin-edition-23.3.2-win10-win11-mar22>Packages>Drivers>Display>WT6A_INF>B389490". extract cc2-install.exe doing the same as with the driver file and then follow the steps from 2 to 5

I thought that i should first unpack the driver before installing it. But i saw that i cant uninstall file wvr64.msi because it tells me that i havent installed that driver. So if i want to follow your steps i need to install that driver at first , then i have to go to the program files/amd and find that folder whql.... and do that there tell me am i right or not. Or if uninstall dont work can i just delete that file?  Thank you in advance!!!

Do you have the amd drivers installed? if not it wont find anything to uninstall. install the drivers with full install and then do what i told to you. you dont need to go to program files/amd, just use the folder that you extracted with 7-Zip. if you find this so difficult you can always go to the task scheduler and disable startCN and startDVR, is easier in this way.

edit: yh, the steps that i told to you are for the latest driver 23.3.2 but can be done with every driver version, just download and unpack the driver that you have installed and do the same process, notice that the unpacked folder will have a different name for every driver version and the B389490 folder will have a different name too

Problem is that with ZIP we cant delete inside .Exe file something

0 Likes
geomantis
Adept III

23.4.1 same problem.

Curi0
Adept I

Still happens on 23.4.1 for me

geomantis
Adept III

23.4.2 same problem.

geomantis
Adept III

For 5 months.

marksman06
Journeyman III

I have the same problem, the last driver that worked for me was the Adrenalin v22.10.2 and i have a gpu from rx500 series too.

geomantis
Adept III

23.4.3 same problem.

geomantis
Adept III

23.5.1 same problem.

6 months

Curi0
Adept I

23.5.2 still not fixed

korisach
Journeyman III

Happens on 23.5.2 as well

The stuck at 100% utilization after closing a game bug was present for more than a year and it looks like this is the replacement
Insane how long these bugs go without fixes on AMDs most popular GPU. Is it done on purpose?

Exactly.

geomantis
Adept III

7 months

23.7.1 same bug

Same for me on 23.7.1

DanEzzzz
Journeyman III

I have the same issue with my rx 580. I thought this was due to the video card driver that Windows installed for me. But now I found this article, and it seems that this is not a Windows video driver problem, but an AMD driver problem. I also noticed that along with the GPU frequency spike, the GPU temperature also increases. In my case, it rises by 4-5 degrees.

PokiMung
Journeyman III

same issue for me..AMD please fix this issueissue rx 580.JPG

0 Likes
geomantis
Adept III

23.7.2 same problem

Stanmore
Adept III

RX580X and an RX580.

Both on Win 11 Pro. Minimal install. Driver 23.7.2.

No such issues at all.

0 Likes

Because radeon adrenalin software is the problem.

I'm running Adrenalin on both units. No problem on either unit so there are other variables at play.

0 Likes

Amd is the only problem.

0 Likes
Curi0
Adept I

Still happens 23.8.1

geomantis
Adept III

23.8.1 same problem for 8 months

FrutyX
Adept I

ASUS Dual Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5

Oh god, I have never noticed this, mine is doing exactly the same, GPU Clock spikes to 1300 Mhz every 60 secs.

Full install, staying with 23.5.2 for now, this seriously needs to be addressed!

And even more before AMD decides to forget about older GPUs and ends the support for them, that would be a stab in the back honestly. 

0 Likes
miirn
Journeyman III

To avoid this bug just install the "driver only or minimal install" version however.. you lose all the adrenaline tools, relive, wattman, everything. Amd gives me too much headache with messy drivers, I'm already thinking about the next GPU being an nvidia..

Yeah, next driver release (if it's gonna be alright), which will probably be just before Starfield, I'm just gonna DDU uninstall all of it and just install the driver without Adrenaline, I kinda have my doubts they are gonna fix this anytime soon.

And as someone mentioned above, it keeps also raising the temps, and since my GPU fans are only running on specific temp, it constantly keeps starting them, so unnecessary.

0 Likes
userrando
Adept I

I'm glad that I stumbled upon this thread because I've been experiencing this recently and before reading this I havent been able to pinpoint the cause of the issue. I'm experiencing the exact behaviour that OP describes. I can't precisely confirm when it started but atleast can confirm drivers 23.7.1, 23.7.2 and 23.8.1 exhibiting the issue. I've also noticed that the AMD process AMDRSServ.exe pops up to the top in windows task manager every time the GPU spikes occur.

- Windows 10 pro with current updates

- Asus Dual Radeon RX580 8GB OC