cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

DN500
Adept II

RX 5600 XT crashing when running low fan speed

My Sapphire Pulse RX 5600 XT BE still "surprises" me. 

I got the newest Far Cry 6 with the huge AMD logo in the splash screen gave me hope, but like Far Cry 5, I keep getting crashes while playing. I just do the typical Far Cry stuff without any big explosions or effects and the driver just crashes. Constantly! I'm glad the game has autosave!

No overclocking of the chip or memory, fresh video driver for fresh Windows 11, native BIOS from the manufacturer.

My friend bought the 2060 and I'm thinking about how to change our video cards discreetly! Just kidding. But with tears in my eyes.

0 Likes
1 Solution

It looks like I figured out the problem. Far Cry at least does not crash. In the graphics card settings, in the "performance" tab, I always enabled manual setting to set the minimum speed of the video card fans. It seems that this affected the automatic adjustment of the frequency, memory and other things, because of this the games crashed.
I've been using manual fan settings since I bought the card.
Now I continue to test the "default" mode in games.
Thank you all for your indifference and interest in the problem.

View solution in original post

23 Replies
mat777
Challenger

I have an asus rx 5600 xt it's been 1 year already with the latest driver and everything works great

0 Likes

AMD is blamed for a broken BIOS from the manufacturer (Sapphire). I'm starting to believe it. But on the Sapphire website there is NO information about the BIOS or its update.

Can you email Sapphire, also there are sites that have BIOSs, but be 100% sure it's right for your card, it's better to contact Sapphire.

So for more information, did AMD support tell you that there were problems with Sapphire's BIOS? If so, contact Sapphire by email.

I've had good luck with their cards, I hope you can fix your problem.

0 Likes

No, I did not write to the support service. I'm just looking for a similar problem and its solutions on the Internet. As far as I know, in matters of crashes, AMD suggests contacting card manufacturers. I will not dare to download BIOS from third-party resources. The video card is very expensive thing now.

0 Likes

Thanks, I'll definitely try it and report back.

0 Likes

Nope. It did not help, only decreased performance . The game still crashes.

0 Likes

After searching the internet, it seems like some people have problems with Far Cry 6 crashing:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ubisoft/comments/qgahxm/far_cry_6_crash_after_update/

https://piunikaweb.com/2021/11/27/far-cry-6-crashing-after-the-latest-update-possible-workaround-ins...

You may want to contact Ubisoft support, I hope these will help.

0 Likes

When AMD introduced the HD series the GPU I tried was a Saphire HD 4670.

RMA'd the thing 3 times due to constant driver crashes.

After the third RMA I purchased 2 MSI HD4980's and ran in crossfire. Never had a problem with the hardware drivers or at that time it was Catalyst Control Center. 

So yeah I personally avoid Saphire.

The solid brands I've used are Power Color MSI XFX HIS and Gigabyte. 

0 Likes

Things do change, some vendors get better or worse. You can look at a review of the Sapphire cards released in the last 8 or so years. In my opinion they are built well, but it is true sometimes a troublesome or not very well designed card can come from any vendor.

0 Likes

Unfortunately, Far Cry 6 is just a recent example. Since I bought the card about 2 years ago, about half of all my games behave the same, with a few exceptions.

Games that are sure to crash: GTA 5, Battlefield 4, Dark Souls 3, Resident Evil 3, Far Cry 5, Dirt Rally, Control (does not work beyond the intro video at all). And almost all the games from my VR library.
And this is one of those that I remember or have launched during this time.

Games that do surprisingly well: Outer World, Resident Evil Village, Prey, Metro Exodus, Pavlov VR, Cyberpunk 2077 (!)

All games from Steam, Epic Games and other libraries. The VR helmet is the Oculus Rift S.

0 Likes

It looks like I figured out the problem. Far Cry at least does not crash. In the graphics card settings, in the "performance" tab, I always enabled manual setting to set the minimum speed of the video card fans. It seems that this affected the automatic adjustment of the frequency, memory and other things, because of this the games crashed.
I've been using manual fan settings since I bought the card.
Now I continue to test the "default" mode in games.
Thank you all for your indifference and interest in the problem.

Good to know, one wouldn't think setting the minimum value would cause problems like you experienced. That would only seem to stop it from stopping the fan, and set a minimum value. Maybe a bug in the driver. I'm glad you got it fixed.

0 Likes

Most likely, in the "manual" control mode, Adrenaline ceases to control voltage, frequency, and so on, which could cause crashes. Unfortunately, there is no separate fan control mode.

0 Likes

Can you put in a bug report to AMD, it seems that isn't what they designed it to do. Only controlling the fan is a valid request, maybe it's fixable in the drivers.

0 Likes

Split fan control is an issue that is often voted on for new features. And my numerous reports should contain this information, I think.

For me helped to leave all default settings as they were, except: I set P3 frequency to 1720 and voltage at P3 to 1026. Thats it.  Before that CS, DOTA 2, DESTINY 2 would constantly crash and now, after 20 hrs of play so far so good 0 crashes.  1026 mV is the key parameter I think. If yours keep crashing - try changing a bit - between 1020 - 1030 in steps of 2 mV.  Its that subtle but makes big difference.  

0 Likes
ThreeDee
Paragon

What power supply make/model?

What is the rest of your PC specs?

Is the BIOS on your motherboard up to date?

How are your CPU/GPU temps?

Is this a Clean install of Windows or is carried over from a previous build?

Have you tried DDU'ing your AMD drivers ..reboot ..and THEN install latest video card drivers from AMD.com?

Are your chipset drivers up to date (Intel.com for intel chipset, AMD.com for AMD chipset)

What speed is your system RAM actually running at? (Task Manager>Performance>Memory)

What are you using to cool your CPU?

How is the air flow in your case? You have to keep your VRM's and Memory cool too ... 

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes

Okay, let's start ... Power supply - Deepcool DN650 650W
Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite; Ryzen 3600; 
Crucial Ballistix 8 GB DDR4 3600 CL16 (x4); Aorus 500 GB M.2 PCIe Gen4.

- Motherboard BIOS was updated during the build of the PC.
- CPU and GPU temp less than 35 °C  or 95 °F. During the game, the tem is around 60-65 °C or 140-150 °F.
- Windows updated to 11 from 10. At W10 GPU worked exactly the same.
- I periodically do a clean driver update using DDU.
- Also chipset updates of course.
- I tried different speeds of RAM, from stock 3600 to recommended 3200. With and without ХMP.
- Tower cooler, something in the middle price segment (can't remember the name).
- The case may be outdated, but effective. Zalman Z5 with 2 active fan and 2 supporting (usually off).

I think the cause of the problems may be due to the fact that the system is configured to use PCIe Gen 4?

0 Likes

I know it will be a little slower, try lowering your RAM to 3000 Mhz. In my setup I have 3200 Mhz RAM but it wasn't stable, so I have the processor auto overclocked, and the RAM lowered a little to 3000 Mhz. It's still very fast. There are several posts I found where lots of people did the same thing with a little less performance for now no crashes. Sometimes it's best for stability to OC the Processor, but not the RAM or even lower it a bit, or vice versa. It's something to try. I hope you fix it.

0 Likes
yoshemahino
Adept I

I had the same issue. If you get the error that the wattman crashed then the way I solved this (it sucks but had the issue going on for about a year) is to completely uninstall the AMD software (Radeon) and reinstall it fresh. But do not open the software or make any tweaks to it. There is a ongoing issue with the AMD Adrenalin software. That’s how I solved it. 

Ugh Global Wattman. 

Ever since AMD switched form Catalyst Control Center to Global Wattman and Adrenaline I've constantly encountered problems with "Global Wattman has shutdown due to an unknown reason" when my PC reboots. On all AMD GPU's. It's not as bad as when they first introduced Global Wattman but its certainly not helping AMD's GPU image. 

Even in the event records it just says GPU Adrenaline Software Issue encountered error unknown. No error code is generated and no source other than this generic information.

0 Likes
bfoster68
Adept I

the game crashes, you get any messages when it crashes? graphics driver timeouts?

i ask about the graphics driver timeouts because I just RMA'd an xfx RX5700 because of them.

They sent me a new one and all is good. was an issue with the card itself.

0 Likes

Yes, that's exactly the error I was getting. Returning a video card is a radical method. Especially if I ordered a card from abroad.

0 Likes