Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

ThunderBeaver
Challenger

Re: RX 5600 XT still crashes.

Jump to solution

When AMD introduced the HD series the GPU I tried was a Saphire HD 4670.

RMA'd the thing 3 times due to constant driver crashes.

After the third RMA I purchased 2 MSI HD4980's and ran in crossfire. Never had a problem with the hardware drivers or at that time it was Catalyst Control Center. 

So yeah I personally avoid Saphire.

The solid brands I've used are Power Color MSI XFX HIS and Gigabyte. 

0 Likes
amdman
Challenger

Jump to solution

Things do change, some vendors get better or worse. You can look at a review of the Sapphire cards released in the last 8 or so years. In my opinion they are built well, but it is true sometimes a troublesome or not very well designed card can come from any vendor.

0 Likes
yoshemahino
Adept I

Jump to solution

I had the same issue. If you get the error that the wattman crashed then the way I solved this (it sucks but had the issue going on for about a year) is to completely uninstall the AMD software (Radeon) and reinstall it fresh. But do not open the software or make any tweaks to it. There is a ongoing issue with the AMD Adrenalin software. That’s how I solved it. 

ThunderBeaver
Challenger

Jump to solution

Ugh Global Wattman. 

Ever since AMD switched form Catalyst Control Center to Global Wattman and Adrenaline I've constantly encountered problems with "Global Wattman has shutdown due to an unknown reason" when my PC reboots. On all AMD GPU's. It's not as bad as when they first introduced Global Wattman but its certainly not helping AMD's GPU image. 

Even in the event records it just says GPU Adrenaline Software Issue encountered error unknown. No error code is generated and no source other than this generic information.

0 Likes
DN500
Adept II

Jump to solution

Unfortunately, Far Cry 6 is just a recent example. Since I bought the card about 2 years ago, about half of all my games behave the same, with a few exceptions.

Games that are sure to crash: GTA 5, Battlefield 4, Dark Souls 3, Resident Evil 3, Far Cry 5, Dirt Rally, Control (does not work beyond the intro video at all). And almost all the games from my VR library.
And this is one of those that I remember or have launched during this time.

Games that do surprisingly well: Outer World, Resident Evil Village, Prey, Metro Exodus, Pavlov VR, Cyberpunk 2077 (!)

All games from Steam, Epic Games and other libraries. The VR helmet is the Oculus Rift S.

0 Likes
amdman
Challenger

Jump to solution

I know it will be a little slower, try lowering your RAM to 3000 Mhz. In my setup I have 3200 Mhz RAM but it wasn't stable, so I have the processor auto overclocked, and the RAM lowered a little to 3000 Mhz. It's still very fast. There are several posts I found where lots of people did the same thing with a little less performance for now no crashes. Sometimes it's best for stability to OC the Processor, but not the RAM or even lower it a bit, or vice versa. It's something to try. I hope you fix it.

0 Likes
DN500
Adept II

Jump to solution

It looks like I figured out the problem. Far Cry at least does not crash. In the graphics card settings, in the "performance" tab, I always enabled manual setting to set the minimum speed of the video card fans. It seems that this affected the automatic adjustment of the frequency, memory and other things, because of this the games crashed.
I've been using manual fan settings since I bought the card.
Now I continue to test the "default" mode in games.
Thank you all for your indifference and interest in the problem.

bfoster68
Adept I

Jump to solution

the game crashes, you get any messages when it crashes? graphics driver timeouts?

i ask about the graphics driver timeouts because I just RMA'd an xfx RX5700 because of them.

They sent me a new one and all is good. was an issue with the card itself.

0 Likes
amdman
Challenger

Jump to solution

Good to know, one wouldn't think setting the minimum value would cause problems like you experienced. That would only seem to stop it from stopping the fan, and set a minimum value. Maybe a bug in the driver. I'm glad you got it fixed.

0 Likes
DN500
Adept II

Jump to solution

Most likely, in the "manual" control mode, Adrenaline ceases to control voltage, frequency, and so on, which could cause crashes. Unfortunately, there is no separate fan control mode.

Tags (1)
0 Likes