cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

strint
Adept I

Random crashes at idle after updating chipset (except if you leave a youtube video running)

Hello everyone,

The system was performing fine for a while, but seemingly after i updated the chipset driver to the latest b450 (here)  i've started getting random crashes whenever i'd leave the computer for 5-10 minutes, often times i'd come back to it just waiting on desktop, freshly restarted. Strangely it doesnt seem to happen when im doing anything on the computer, i could be working for 10+ hours, but the moment i go up to shower or something, i'll come back to it restarted. This smelled to me like maybe that it was trying to go to some low power state but crashed along the way, so maybe the new Ryzen power plans that got installed along with the chipset could be to blame, but setting it back to the normal windows balanced plan makes no difference. It's a pretty big issue since i lose work every time i forget to panically save everything before leaving my pc.

But here's the kicker, i've learned that if i leave a youtube video on, it wont crash. So i usually just find a 10 hour long youtube video and leave it running, in this case it has never crashed, the display goes to sleep, everything behaves normally etc.

I've reinstalled the chipset driver sometime later, just in case, but to no avail. Some weeks before that i've also updated the bios to the latest F63 (here), although i see now F64 is latest, i will update once again but i doubt it will resolve anything. Now, i've also updated the GPU drivers around the same time, so this was suspect as the cause as well, but since then i've done at least 3-4 full driver clean reinstalls (with DDU), basically almost every version since 23.2.X. Now having 23.4.1.

I've also ran a virus scan, just in case, but nothing popped up. I've installed no other software in the meantime, maybe a game or two. Nothing is overclocked, everything is running default. I will be running a memtest later tonight, but i dont expect anything.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600X

GPU: AMD RX 6600 XT

Mobo: B450 Aorus M

Windows even log just says the generic Event 41 (The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first.")

I've had this problem for the past month i've tried to solve but there's no indication of improvement, and im out of ideas so i decided to ask here.

Please let me know about any information you'd like me to provide or steps i could follow, or your thoughts on what could be happening, thank you!

21 Replies
Mikko91
Adept III

Hey. same problem here but not as frequent, happens 1-2 times a month when the computer is idle it just randomly reboots itself, games and stress tests and temperatures are stable and the pc never crashes while doing them.

3800x 4,5Ghz

B550 Strix E (3002 bios)

Chipset 5.02.19.2221

16Gb ddr4 Trident Z Neo 3600mhz (16-19-19-39)

RX 6600 XT Strix (23.4.1)

Samsung 1TB 980

Corsair RMX 850W

Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360mm RGB

Phanteks P500A D-RGB White

Windows 10 Pro 22H2

Gaz936
Adept II

Hi...

Had something similar with Windows crashing at any given time. Solved it by doing the following...

Updated Chipset Drivers (again)

Updated Graphics Drivers (twice)

Re-installed DirectX and Runtime C++ (these are more game related, but it was part of the process)

Ran sfc/scan now in Cmd Prompt

One of the above solved the issue, hopefully this is of help!

strint
Adept I

Hello, thank you for your replies.

I've done the steps you suggested Gaz.

But i did most of it before as well and didnt work, except sfc/scannow, so maybe that does something?

We'll see..

0 Likes
strint
Adept I

Issue still persists, and memtest shows 0 errors with RAM

0 Likes

Have you tried CMOS clear?

0 Likes

Tried it now but no difference, i had all stock settings except XMP1 anyway. Did it help you since you seem to have same issue?

0 Likes

Sorry bud, outta ideas. I'm still getting DirectX crashes in game, nowhere near as much as it used to. Have no idea what to do now...

0 Likes

What is it that people simply do not understand, that when they use a Factory Overclocked card, that the card can handle the overclock, 24/7. Well i got news for you, it doesnt, and they crash. All of you, are using Overclocked GPU`s. If you want Stability, Downclock your memory and GPU clocks.

0 Likes

those cards wont runing max clocks on  idle btw... so im not kinda believe overclocks causing that..

0 Likes

Yes, as mikko said card is barely running 400-500mhz at normal use, even with hardware accelerated tasks like browsing it does not rise significantly. Plus, it never crashes when gaming, when it is actually running fulll clocks. Only on dead idle..

0 Likes
strint
Adept I

Doesnt seem solvable and nobody has anymore ideas, i'll just have to either reinstall windows and cross my fingers or sell hardware ( i guess my brother did warn me about AMD)

0 Likes

Alsof Intel geen problemen heeft

0 Likes

As if Intel has no problems

0 Likes
ioannistrs
Adept I

Did you find any solution at this??I have the same issue with 6700xt.i have done all the possible solution nothing helps.i still have random crashes at idle only and after  a lot of hours testing searching I find that the only possible setting that doesn't end with crash is to disable freesync.but when I do that (think about I paid to have it as pair with g5 odyssey 2k 144hz) at desktop idle draw near 36watt at idle an vram run at full 2ghz.so I can't call it a solution. Every help it will be kind

Did not find a solution yet...

I also tried your fix of disabling freesync, didn't do it for me sadly, if it did i'd accept that tradeoff for a more stable system.

0 Likes
slash00x
Adept II

You can try rolling back the drivers you first installed which may be a solution.

In Windows device manager you can check every driver and under the "Power Management" tab, remove all ticks that allow windows to put a device to sleep. Remove all ticks you find under the "Power Management" tabs and on all drivers you find that has the "Power Management" tab. Solved my issue... I did turn off some other things in Win 11, let me know if this helps.

Windows may be waiting for an idle moment or even a scheduled operation for a driver update or software update that is waiting for an idle moment to install the update. Check scheduler carefully to identify those types of behaviors which may be waiting for idle time to perform an update task.

Another thing you can check is windows update settings and even turn off windows update to see if that resolves the rebooting issue which may be required after an update has been performed.

M.2Gaming
AsRock Taichi Carrara, AMD Ryzen 9 7900X, M.2 MP600 Pro LPX, G.Skill 64GB, Creative SB ZXR, Windows 11

Hello, thanks for comment

I checked Power management tab, but only few of the devices listed had that tab (only keyboard an mouse), and on them it wasn't enabled.

I checked windows scheduler as well (good idea), and none of the tasks had set up any idle conditions.

I am sure the updating is not after windows updates

0 Likes

The only thing you may not have tried was rolling back the chipset driver that you updated. 

Seems something is attempting to go to sleep causing a crash. You could turn off all of the sleep options.

Try ctrl-L which locks the screen and see if that changes anything and walk away. See if you can wake it after 15 minutes or more.

Try these steps to change sleep mode. 

1. Press Win + I to open the Settings app.
  2. Go to “System -> Power and Sleep” page in Settings.
  3. On the right panel, select “Never” from the drop-down menu under the “Sleep

M.2Gaming
AsRock Taichi Carrara, AMD Ryzen 9 7900X, M.2 MP600 Pro LPX, G.Skill 64GB, Creative SB ZXR, Windows 11
0 Likes

Hello, thank you for the reply. All sleep was already disabled, and it crashed even when i locked the screen. I noticed it was a bit inconsistent, yes it would always only crash when idle, but sometimes it would be after 10 minutes, sometimes after 30 seconds, so i downloaded Afterburner and disabled ULPS (ultra low power state), and it seems fixed now.

0 Likes
strint
Adept I

[SOLUTION]

Downloaded Afterburner and set "Disable ULPS" (ultra low power state), seems to have fixed it now, not one crash for days now (whereas before it would be a 100% chance of crash every time i leave it idle).

rhsd
Adept II

I have recently encountered a similar issue. I disabled “AMD Cool & Quiet” and “Global C-States” in my BIOS and the idle crashes haven't returned.

Config: Gigabyte Aorus Ultra X570, AMD Ryzen 5950X, NVIDIA RTX 4090, (tried different sets of RAM -- with and without XMP), Win11, latest AMD chipset drivers. I tried rolling back the chipset drivers, but that did not help. I have not been able to identify root cause.