Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

hitbm47
Forerunner

Radeon Software file size - 22.8.1 vs 22.7.1

Dear readers,

First off, I am not complaining about AMD Radeon's file size, I am even happy if AMD wished to use 1GB-2GB for the Radeon Driver if it meant including game performance optimizations instead of removing them such as is the case for Unreal Engine 3 DirectX9 games and non-Navi cards, except for having enough Internet data to download it of course.

My question/concern is about the fact that 22.8.1 is smaller than 22.7.1, and the fact that 22.7.1 had amazing OpenGL optimizations. Furthermore, I have not tested 22.8.1 yet, although I am interested in the Enhanced Sync improvements.

Does anyone or any AMD employee know why the driver size have been cut from ~619MB to ~538MB ?, I am just interested in knowing the reasons for such variations in file size, since I have experienced drastic performance variations in AMD's drivers over the years, such as the example of the Unreal Engine 3 (DirectX9) optimizations which AMD deleted in 17.7.2 and only re-included for NAVI.

It took upgrading from a FX 8350 & Ryzen 5 1600 to a Ryzen 5 5600 to alleviate the Unreal Engine 3 (DirectX9) performance penalty on my RX 480. In addition, I even made a backup folder now for my 22.7.1 and called it "Amazing OpenGL AMD Radeon optimizations" so that I do not lose it.

Any insight on the file size?

Kind regards

0 Likes
7 Replies

Hi @Matt_AMD  , can you please check if this link from the reply is appropriate, I do not want it to harm other users and have not opened it.

0 Likes
Ray_AMD
Community Manager

Unfortunately no information is available on why the file size has changed.

Thank your for your reply @Ray_AMD , I suppose, I will try 22.8.1 later hopefully without losing the OpenGL optimizations, since it is sometimes difficult to tell if the Ryzen 5 5600 I recently was able to afford is just that strong or if it is related to driver improvements, coming from my underutilized FX 8350 & Ryzen 5 1600.

May I ask in general why the AMD driver sizes differ so much? I just find it strange, because I know from experience that source code files are sometimes even less than one MegaByte before it has been put through a compiler, even if it contains more than 5000 lines of code.

Maybe another person will also weigh in, thanks Ray.

0 Likes

It definitely didn't lose OpenGL optimisation. Easy check in Furmark. It was 213 FPS for me, after optimisation in 22.7.1 it became 257

Hi @DimkaTsv , thank you for your response.

Do you still get 257FPS in 22.8.1 like you mentioned you do in 22.7.1?

0 Likes

@hitbm47 

Ah, yeah, sure, otherwise i wouldn't said "It definitely didn't lose OpenGL optimisation"

Thank you for the information, I really appreciate it and will test 22.8.1 in this week!

0 Likes