cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

HighMike
Journeyman III

r9 290x driver timeouts

Hello! I've got a r9 290x 4gb oc edition and in the last 1 year I've started experiencing driver timeouts and freeze while playing certain games. Some of these games were working perfectly. The problem occur after some minutes. I checked gpu temp but it's fine. I've tried running a stress test for over 1 hour without any problem.  I've tried to unistall and reinstall the gpu driver. I've updated my mobo, ram and cpu. The psu is 750w. It's a 2013 gpu and it started giving me some problem only 1 year ago. I've also updated to win 11. Looks like a driver issue because some games still work fine. Any advice?

I'm currently scared of buying new games because even the low graphic demand one can cause the driver to timeout...

Thanks a lot

0 Likes
3 Replies
PlzkyChobot
Adept I

I would suggest going back to Windows 10, you could try using DDU and then installing latest available driver for this GPU, or even slightly older one.

You could also play around with the TdrDelay

Pesíci dělají chro!
0 Likes

I had the same problem even with win10. I already tried your suggestions but didn't work.

Atm the only partial solution I've found is disabling the amd external events service and using a 2020 driver version. Now the problem occur way less frequently... But it's still not solved

0 Likes

I had driver timeouts but they were in no way related to the GPU.

After some intense digging and troubleshooting because I was having crashes in some DX11 games and driver timeouts, the culprit was the ram modules.

Share your entire system with us so we can start brainstorming here.

If you have already tried some software troubleshooting start messing with hardware.

Underclock your GPU or increase a bit the voltage to see if it gets stable, if you want to maintain the actual OC. You can also underclock the graphics memory a bit just to check. After you do this and still crashes.

If the system crashes and reboots, you can check if your mobo has a troubleshooting light or code reader, if it does, follow the manual. Mine was giving ram error code, that's why I found it so weird to be the GPU.

Next go after the ram, memtest 86 in a usb pen and do some hours of testing.

As I said, share more about your system and good luck

The Englishman
0 Likes