Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

VSVincent
Adept I

Problems with AMD drivers for months

Hello!

This is my first post in this forum and my long-standing problems with the AMD driver prompted me to post it.
I hope to be able to find help or tips for my problem here.

About the problem:
1. When I start any CAD program such as UltiMaker Cura, Catia, SolidWorks, the following error message appears:
"Failed to initialize graphics backend for OpenGL".
2. If the computer runs for a while, at some point a faulty window icon appears in front of the desktop background. It is obvious that the driver software has crashed because it is not responding. If I then click on this symbol or icon several times, a typical Windows message appears that the program is not responding and can be restarted.

I have reported all of these problems to AMD a dozen times since January using the bug reporting tool with screenshots of the AMD software. So far nothing has improved.

All problems appear AFTER software version 23-10-2. Version 23-10-2 works perfectly.
I use that Software in connection to a Radeon RX 6800 XT.
No Tuning of the hardware. I use the latest version of Windows 10. A complete reinstallation of Windows, as well as a driver update of all connected components and BIOS updates did not help. Does anyone else have this problem or could help me with it?
7 Replies
JaY_III
Adept I

6900XT here on Win10, and i can speak for Cura and F360 working fine.
The 24.1.x drivers and newer are working fine for me.     i was having black screen on wake issues with drivers released in the second half of 2023 but everything is working now.

0 Likes
WR
Journeyman III

Hey, I am having issues with the drivers, are you able to help me? It won't work no matter anything I do.

0 Likes

Interestingly, I encounter a "black screen" issue upon waking the computer only when two monitors are installed. This occurs if I allow the computer to enter an idle state on the second monitor while the first monitor is turned off. Subsequently, I face difficulty when trying to wake up the computer using the first monitor.

I have to turn off and on the first monitor in that "black screen state".

0 Likes
VSVincent
Adept I

Hello charlesmertin72,
many thanks for the answer.

So far I have only used the error reporting tool several times.
Could you tell me how to reach AMD's customer support?

I'm not yet aware of how a Discord Fonts Generator can help me. I would be happy if you could give me further tips or help.
VSVincent
Adept I

Overall, I am somewhat disappointed. I can't reach anyone through support, and it seems that no one here in the forum can help either.

Since this problem has unfortunately persisted since the end of 2023, I feel compelled to sell this graphics card and, after 30 years of favoring AMD or ATI, switch to their competitor, NVIDIA. The drivers and features there are more up-to-date, there are no issues with OpenGL, and using AI models is also somewhat easier. I am willing to accept that these cards are somewhat more expensive and not necessarily economical in terms of power consumption.

Nevertheless, thank you for the responses.

0 Likes
Buutti
Adept II

Unfortunately especially the 24-series drivers are very bad. People have been reporting all kinds of problems with those.

I would recommend rolling back to the working 23-series driver for the time being, until they can solve the issues with the latest driver series.

Thanks for the reply.
I didn't know that others also had a lot of problems with the 24-series drivers.

That motivates me to wait a little longer.

0 Likes