cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Arandora
Adept I

Problem with loading AMD UMDF Sensor

The AMD UMDF Sensor is failing to load showing the message in Properties "This device cannot start. (Code 10) The process hosting the driver for this device has terminated." Installing each of the available drivers doesn't work.  Event Viewer Properties Event 10111 shows this at Critical level "The device AMD UMDF Sensor (location (unknown)) is offline due to a user-mode driver crash. Windows will attempt to restart the device 5 more times. Please contact the device manufacturer for more information about this problem."

I have loaded the latest drivers from the Lenovo website; tried its troubleshooter and that of Vantage. The machine purchased end of September 2023 has recently been returned to Lenovo and a new motherboard fitted and shortly after its return I had to reload Windows 11.

How do I resolve this please?

Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 5 14ALC7

0 Likes
2 Solutions
Arandora
Adept I

Not accepted as Solution yet as stated in my last post.

View solution in original post

When I returned from my holiday I put off going back to Lenovo as I did not want them to do another Factory Reset. However, I was notified by Avast Driver Updater that the driver 1.1.0.12 needed updating and advised reverting to a previous version and 1.0.0.338 dated 10/01/2024 was installed and the driver has worked ever since. I hope this works for others.

View solution in original post

14 Replies
breaknomore
Journeyman III

I also have a Lenovo Ideapad Flex 5 (14ARE05), and I've been facing this exact same issue for some time. Surely it's a fault within Windows 11?

0 Likes
3than2021
Journeyman III

I've got an HP envy x360 and am having the same issue

0 Likes

From Lenovo Support concerning your Laptop Model verify it is the correct model): https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/flex-series/flex-5-14alc7/downloads...

I would update all the drivers in your laptop including the critical BIOS UPDATE from 01.2024. Do so will probably fix your issue especially updating the critical update BIOS.

Screenshot 2024-01-19 130014.pngScreenshot 2024-01-19 130209.pngScreenshot 2024-01-19 130324.png

Found this Lenovo Support driver for Windows 10/11 for AMD UMDF SENSOR: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds555951-amd-umdf-sensor-properties-driver-for-windows-11...

Screenshot 2024-01-19 124744.pngScreenshot 2024-01-19 124814.png

It is an old Lenovo driver (2022) and not sure if it will work in your specific Lenovo laptop. But you can try installing this driver if all of the above drivers and BIOS update from above Lenovo Support download page for your laptop doesn't work.

I had previously run an automatic driver check on both the Support website and Vantage and both concluded my laptops drivers were upto date. So i ran them again with the same result. However the recent BIOS update showed a later version so updated that. Finally I installed the Lenovo Support driver for Windows 11.

After restarting a couple of times, the result was unfortunately and frustratingly the error is still there.

Arandora
Adept I

I forgot to mention, following a post on Google I unistalled all the USB Controllers, six of them, then rebooted the machine after which they were all installed again but that made no difference.

Just for troubleshooting purposes only. See if you have in Windows Settings - "Core Isolation" enabled.

If it is, temporary disable "Core Isolation" and see if it fixes your issue.

I had a similar issue with a app that wouldn't install. Turned out that Core Isolation prevented one of the files or driver to be installed not to run due to security reasons. I also learned that a User needed to turn off Core Isolation to be able to install Ryzen Master.

If it does fix your issue, enable Core Isolation again if you are able to after fixing your issue.

0 Likes
Arandora
Adept I

Core Isolation was enabled. Disabled it with consequent restart. Problem remains unfortunately

I am out of ideas for the moment.

I suggest you open a Lenovo Support or Warranty Ticket for your laptop to have them check it out or give you some suggestions.

Arandora
Adept I

I'm going away shortly for a month so I'll do what you suggest when I return. Thanks for the help so far.

Arandora
Adept I

I thought I would let you know where I'm upto with this ongoing problem when after my last post I submitted a support ticket to Lenovo, Yesterday I phoned Lenovo Support to find out what progress, if any, had been made on my ticket. Basically none but the Technician I spoke to went over the problem with me and I agreed to him taking over my laptop. However, he only did what I had done previously i.e remove and reinstall the AMD driver and remove and reinstall the USB Controllers. He asked what function was not operating because of of the AMD sensor not operating. I said that the only problem I had noticed was the screen orientation in Tablet PC Mode. He concluded this was the source of the problem but to prove it conclusively he reminded a Factory Reset. Having done this a few weeks ago resulting in the motherboard being replaced then a couple of weeks later a reinstall of Windows due to an Outlook issue, I wasn't happy doing this until I had returned from my holiday at the end of February. He gave me a reference number to quote when I am ready to resume from where he left off.

Arandora
Adept I

Not accepted as Solution yet as stated in my last post.

__rom
Journeyman III

Same problem here, also with a Lenovo YOGA ryzen 7. 

When I reinstall win11 from scratch, the "amd udmf sensor" is working for a while, and the "auto orientation feature" is working fine. 

However, as soon as there is a windows update, the sensor can not start anymore and I loose this auto orientation 

All my drivers are up-to-date, and Lenovo's answer is "the sensor is working fine when you reinstall the system, so it is not a Lenovo issue. Please contact microsoft".

0 Likes

When I returned from my holiday I put off going back to Lenovo as I did not want them to do another Factory Reset. However, I was notified by Avast Driver Updater that the driver 1.1.0.12 needed updating and advised reverting to a previous version and 1.0.0.338 dated 10/01/2024 was installed and the driver has worked ever since. I hope this works for others.

Thank you so much, it also works here

0 Likes