cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Please Read - Driver Issues - Post Here

Hi everyone, I am starting this new discussion to try and consolidate into one tread all the issues many of us have with the latest drivers from AMD for our Radeon Cards.

I don't see in any of the latest release notes, the problems we are experiencing:-

1) Adrenalin software not opening
2) Browser freeze causes PC to hang
3) Random BSOD
4) Black Screen
5) Erratic VRAM issues
6) Erratic Fan Behaviour

I will go through all the steps I've tried to remedy the problems I faced with Driver Vers. 23.9.2 / 23.9.3 / 23.10.1
Issue 1) Adrenalin software not opening
Issue 2) Random Browser freeze & PC Lockup
Issue 3) Black Screen

Steps:-

1) Cleaned old drivers out with both AMD Driver Cleaner & DDU / Clean install 23.9.2/3 - Result - Adrenalin Software does not open / Browser freezes & pc lockup
2) MSCONFIG Clean boot minimal with new install of AMD Driver Ver. 23.9.2/3 - Result - Adrenalin Software does not open / Browser freezes & PC lockup
3) Reset PC to factory fresh, clean install no apps or software, new driver install 23.9.2/3 - Result - Adrenalin Software does not open / Browser freezes & pc lockup
4) Wipe OS Drive, Total Re-Install of Win11, only install minimum drivers (Chipset) no Apps or Software, Install 23.9.2/3 - Result - No Problems - (Lasted a week before issue returned on driver update)
5) Cleaned old drivers out with AMD Driver Cleaner and installed AMD Preview Driver 23.30.1.2 - Result - Adrenalin software now opens but random browser freeze and pc lockup
6) Follow on from step 5 - disable HW acceleration in browser and switch off AMD Freesync Premium on display - Result - Fixes browser freeze & pc lockup but causes problems when gaming as now locked to 60hz refresh on a 165hz monitor (laggy, micro stutter, screen tearing)

Also like to state this wasn't as strait forward as it reads as I had multiple black screen issues after driver install and forced to boot safe mode via usb win11 installer to recover back to desktop.

My Hardware Setup:- MSI X570S Carbon Max WiFi with Ryzen 5900x, 32GB Corsair 4Ghz RT Ram, WD Black SN850x 1TB NVME, Radeon RX6950XT, Corsair HX1200i Platinum PSU

I'm now running on driver ver. 23.9.1 and no issues other than missing out on some of the new features in the latest drivers.

Please post your experience here and steps you have taken - results you gained
Just hope AMD come here and read this - maybe acknowledge these issues with their new drivers - and fix the problems.
All the best - Team Red

0 Likes
12 Replies
AMD_cire
Challenger

I already give up.

Just use 22.11.2 and everything back to fine, can play all day instead all that bug with newer version and not too much different performance for me.

MSI B550 Pro-VDH - MSI 6600XT - Ryzen 5600G
0 Likes

Only issue i have had is with H A (which i rarely use), and some youtube sites lag when scrolling (without H A). 

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes
Matt374
Adept II

Feel like we are not getting the support we deserve on these issues would like it fixing but not looking likely  

0 Likes

Hi all, I have solved the problem on my system and can now install the latest adrenalin software now with no problems.

Steps I took to get this to work:-
1) Use a dedicated uninstaller to remove everything AMD (Revo Uninstaller / Total Uninstall) just use the trial version, I used Revo Uninstaller to get rid of (AMD Drivers / Software inc. Chipset / Ryzen Master / Adrenalin)
2) Run AMD cleaner utility (will restart in safemode and reboot)
3) Use Revo or Total Uninstall to install AMD Drivers/Software back in this order Chipset / Ryzen Master / Adrenalin
4) Before rebooting try opening the Adrenalin software and if all went well it should now open normally and no more freezing browser pc hangs.

Still don't know why this happend in the first place but I have had no problems yet.
Will update if this issue returns.
Hope this helps
All the best and happy gaming

0 Likes
Awol
Challenger

I have found 23.9.1 to be stable, no issues what so ever. I used the info passed from various posts, DDU in safe mode, then used AMD clean up utility just to be sure. Driver only install as never use adrenaline to tweak anything, ive always used Afterburner for GPU tweaks and Bios for anything CPU related. Bios for the mobo F38f and latest chipset drivers. So far its been nearly 1 month and ive had no hangs or crashes.

X570 Aorus Elite / Ryzen 9 5900X / Sapphire Nitro+ RX6900 XT SE / 64GB Quad Kit Kingston Fury Black 3600MHZ CL16 / RM1000 X PSU

0 Likes

Yes I did the same and used the 23.9.1 drivers but that doesn't help as the latest drivers have more features and fixes plus game stability improvements.

At least now anyone who follows my instructions above will be able to install the latest drivers again.

0 Likes
ArdnSTiFF
Journeyman III

WOW! I thought my rig was the only one doing this. My problems have been ongoing since 23.8.1 to the present driver 23.10.2. My main problem is Issue 1) Adrenalin software not opening and Issue 3) Black Screen or random crashes leading my PC to reboot.

I am finding the Radeon Software eventually breaks when I click on the Performance tab or after I install other apps - no matter what the apps are. The only step I refuse to do is reset my PC to factory settings or a clean install AGAIN because that would mean having to re-download 66+ game pass games (some as big as 170 GB - 240 GB) all over again not to mention all my other apps. I am simply not prepared to do that all over again! I have been working with broken drivers since May and already tried a test reinstall on a spare HD and still got the same problems. I have even re flashed my VBIOS twice.

Luckily I have made a system image backup of the one attempt of reinstalling the AMD software which worked properly (until that installation eventually broke), but as I stated earlier the Radeon software eventually breaks down at some when I click the performance tab after I install other software.

I am typing this currently in safe mode because I am about to again remove 23.10.2 with DDU to reinstall it again. I am now having to do this several times a day and when I get fed up of trying to get the reinstalls to work I  am having to resort to restoring the system using the image backup I created of my Windows drive.  I am having to DDU or use the Radeon cleanup tool two to three times to fully clear the broken installs before I am able to get the Radeon Software to install and be able to click the performance tab without that breaking the Radeon software installation.

My system specs are as follows:

Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max.
CPU: Ryzen 3700X with Phantek AIO for CPU
Ram: 32GB Kingston HyperX Predator 3600hz (underclocked to 3333).
PSU: ARESGAME Black Cube AGT1000 1000W (80+ Gold)
GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 5700 XT
OS system drive: Fanxiang S500 Pro 1TB nvme

AMD THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED LIKE YESTERDAY. These driver problems has taken too long for AMD to resolve!

The last two updates adrenaline doesn’t show my cpu temps. 

MSI X470 GAMING M7 AC, CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 64 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600, Gigabyte RX 7600 OC, 980 PRO with Heatsink 2TB
0 Likes

Did you check in the Metrics settings that those individual settings are enabled?

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

Not sure I am following what you mean. 

MSI X470 GAMING M7 AC, CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 64 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600, Gigabyte RX 7600 OC, 980 PRO with Heatsink 2TB
0 Likes

Some of the sub-settings in metrics tracking are not always auto enabled, expand the CPU section to check/activate them.

0 Likes

Yes that has been done. I thought you were referring to something else.  

0 Likes