cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

PC freezing and becoming slow and unresponsive in and out of game(game doest't crash) SCEP Error?

I am at my wits end, I have tried everything and I just don't know what to do so here's hoping someone here does!

First some context: My pc specs:

Ryzen 7 3800x, 32 gb corsair vengeance 3600hhz ram, gigabyte aorus elite x570 mobo, RM 750W corsair power supply

and a new Rx7900xt

I am on latest windows 11 update and new bios 38a for mobo and updated chipset drivers as well.

The Issue: The issue first occurred in Hogwarts legacy where after a bit of time playing the game the entire PC seizes up. Its not a complete freeze but it acts very unresponsive and controls barley work(take minuets to function). Audio is still passed through, and if I alt f4, the game will close eventually, however the problem remains, and the pc will not perform my actions. In this state of broken I have managed to open task manager once with hot keys, and it reported like 54% cpu util, but the task manager never updated, it was stuck on one frame. I know more frames are being created as the mouse cursor is somewhat functional, moving freely but then getting stuck intermittently. The only way to get out of this is for me to press the reset button on the pc, not even pressing the power button works, would have to hold it.

At first I thought it was just a Hogwarts legacy problem but it has since occurred as well in cyberpunk. Im thinking it has something to do with high intensity games either high cpu or gpu util, But Destiny 2 which I play the most has not had this issue yet. The crash occurred in Hogwarts with or without ray tracing, and in cyberpunk has occurred once with ray tracing.

I have looked into event viewer to see what is going wrong and I see two errors occurring every time it crashes. I have looked these up in many forums but nowhere tells of any solution other than get a new mobo or cpu. The events are two back to back Event ID 86 errors. In order they are

SCEP Certificate enrollment initialization for Local system via https://AMD-KeyId-907d65e9b562315997dd5ad086b2b7598957b92c.microsoftaik.azure.net/templates/Aik/scep failed:

GetCACaps

Method: GET(109ms)

Stage: GetCACaps

The server name or address could not be resolved 0x80072ee7 (WinHttp: 12007 ERROR_WINHTTP_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED)

then followed by:

SCEP Certificate enrollment initialization for WORKGROUP\SHANE_DESKTOP$ via https://AMD-KeyId-907d65e9b562315997dd5ad086b2b7598957b92c.microsoftaik.azure.net/templates/Aik/scep failed:

GetCACaps

Method: GET(0ms)

Stage: GetCACaps

The server name or address could not be resolved 0x80072ee7 (WinHttp: 12007 ERROR_WINHTTP_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED)

What I have tried: This pc has been freshly windows reset when I installed my new gpu. I have tried to update bios and chipset drivers, as well as getting more ram upgrading from 16 to 32gb(this solved other stuttering issues but not the crash). I have tired reinstalling hogwarts leg on a different drive aswell. I even thought mabey the issue could be to do with overlays. I've tried to disable all overlays and monitoring and I don't think it has happened in when I have had them turned off but I am uncertain. Riva tuner has been used when it has crashed, or the AMD overlay has been on in the background when it has crashed. Could this potentially be due to those?

Edit: happened again with all overlays off, no riva tuner etc. I think all are off steam, disc, AMD Adrenaline etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I just want to be able to play the good looking games on my pc with my new gpu without having to worry about breaking my pc.

1 Solution

UPDATE:

Posting an update here so that anyone who runs into the same problem can hopefully fix it! For me the ''fix" was one of two things. I reinstalled AMD drivers again after using the AMD cleanup tool, and then I disabled the instant replay thingy in AMD adrenaline software. Based on what Eggynoggu,  said it probably is to do with the replay. It is a verry bad and problematic bug for that, but only effects certain titles so idk. But After doing those 2 things, pc has been fine now for a few weeks.

Also while my expertise is limited, for me after trying many different possible solutions, while it didn't fix the crashing, I had a noticeable decrease in frame stuttering after I disabled TSME in bios.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

The first thing I would do is verify that the GPU is plugged in using two separate cables from the PSU not a single cable with multiple connectors.

Second, I would verify my temps are not too high and causing throttling.

Then I would try to launch Task Manager and see if my storage is functioning properly and not maxed out for some reason. If this is the case I would replace it. 

Next I would try, if the storage is not the issue, is using Command Prompt as administrator and running "SFC /scannow" 

This may be an issue with corrupt Windows installation, and while I am aware this is a fresh installation all this does is scan and repair the file system. 

If this doesn't yield any results I would try running PowerShell as administrator and using "DISM /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth" if this finds issues then I would run "DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth"

Provided this doesn't work I would ensure I have MPO turned off. Then I would disable Windows Update's ability to update drivers. Windows has broken my GPU drivers quite a few times. https://community.amd.com/t5/general-discussions/how-to-stop-updates-for-drivers-with-windows-update...

After doing all of this I would run DDU or AMD Cleanup Utility, let it finish and restart. After the restart I would try using the last drivers I had that were stable. 

If none of this helps I am also at a loss. 

@BigAl01 Could this be TPM issue?

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB

Thanks for all the tips! Ive tried to do the SFC scan and that didnt seem to work. Temps are not an issue I tested putting fans on full and the issue still occurred, with gpu and CPU not above 60C. I guess I will try a windows system repair, I have done scans and nothing has come up. Ill give AMD cleanup util a try 

I'm unsure if any driver is stable, could just be a specific game issue? Hogwarts leg did it and I thought it might just be that until it happened in cyberpunk. I don't have many other games as intensive so it could be just the scale of those games idk. Tinas wonderlands and Destiny 2 have yet to have a crash like that.

Additionally I tried fiddling  with TSME and AMD CPU FTMP in the bio, by turning them both off and then just FTMP off, as I saw these pop up in other forums of similar issues. The FTMP helped with stuttering issues but didn't fix the freeze crash problem. IDK if these could also possibly be to do with anything?

0 Likes

If reinstalling drivers doesn't fix it. @ThreeDee brought up some possibilities in his reply.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
ThreeDee
Paragon

Have you tried with XMP/DOCP disabled on RAM?

SMART enabled or disabled?

How is the air flow in your case? You have to keep your VRM's and RAM cool too

ThreeDee PC specs

Case thermals shoudn't be out of the ordinary, I have a corasir windflow case and had case fans at full blast. Gpu not over 60C and cpu under 50. General airflow also shouldn't be a problem with a top mounted rad and front fans and one rear exaust. 

Ill try SAM off, haven't given that a go, but would hate to have to disable that perm if it is the case. The same goes with xmp. Plus its a new ram kit, and the crash happened on both my old and new sets of ram(I just upgraded because of size).

0 Likes

Ignore the scep errors, they are not the cause. If you check timelines of those errors you will find they show every time you start your pc.

MS is supposedly releasing a patch to change 'failed' to 'pending'.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
Eggynoggu
Journeyman III

Recently upgraded from an RTX 3070. I was having this issue too while playing Hogwarts Legacy and Cyberpunk 2077. Turning off Instant Replay seemed to fix my problem.

0 Likes

UPDATE:

Posting an update here so that anyone who runs into the same problem can hopefully fix it! For me the ''fix" was one of two things. I reinstalled AMD drivers again after using the AMD cleanup tool, and then I disabled the instant replay thingy in AMD adrenaline software. Based on what Eggynoggu,  said it probably is to do with the replay. It is a verry bad and problematic bug for that, but only effects certain titles so idk. But After doing those 2 things, pc has been fine now for a few weeks.

Also while my expertise is limited, for me after trying many different possible solutions, while it didn't fix the crashing, I had a noticeable decrease in frame stuttering after I disabled TSME in bios.

I have this similar issue,  game will work fine maybe 5 min or 10 min in my fps go from 100+ down to like 10 or 15..

If I alt tab or alt enter in game, fixeds it but we happen again few minutes. Games hell let loose and rdr2  , I've tried everything , different ram, different settings, format, reinstall etc. Then I remember few years ago on my 5600xt with instant replay on in Hunt showdown game with micro stutter every few seconds. So disabled instant replay, tested few tonight , no issue but we report back. Usually this was hit n miss with previous driver versions, so it's back.

0 Likes