cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

PC does not get past bios with new GPU

Hi all,

So after being impressed for 5 seconds when unpacking my new 7900 GRE the delight was soon over.

Basically I think my card is just broken.

I had an Nvidia card and wanted to replace it with a new AMD card with much better performance.

I used DDU to uninstall the nvidia card. I shut down the pc, place the new AMD card, hook it up. All works so far.

I get into windows and than of course the wellknown AMD driver magic happens. 

After the installation of the latest driver suit, it asks to reboot. So I say yes, wow I thought this goes well, sadly that was the only

positive thing that happened, after rebooting I only got BSOD at the windows login screen. Safe mode did not work either, just get an BSOD.

Sadly at this time I remembered why I switched to Nvidia with the previous new AMD card I had.

I do not give up easely however, I turned off the pc and disconnected the power.

As if by magic the pc works and starts, no problems, so I though oh this is good, I let windows restart to see if it is really fixed.

Logically after this the computer just becomes dead, it does not even get passed the bios. Not even the on/off switch works.

I do a bios reset, nothing changes. Lights go on and that's about it.

I tell myself **bleep** AMD, I put in the old Nvidia GPU and for some reason all works normal. No bios issue, no bsod, windows starts.

So I go into safe mode, use DDU again, shutdown the pc, replace the GPU yet again and now the AMD works again.

I get inside of windows again, I do a driver installation, no question to reboot, fine I think.

I start playing counter strike go 2, set it to 240 FPS. It's on 1080p with max. grafics. Sadly I see framedrops, just minor ones, yeah, 

only about 120FPS frame drops,...

So I think I should check the temperatures perhaps, sadly it says my CPU is supposed to be -55 degrees, lol

I want to go check in the bios, so I let windows restart, that went jolly well, yes indeed, gues what, the computer does not get past the bios again.

So again take out the AMD, put in the old nvidia and all works again.

I will send my card back to the reseller,...

Since the CPU temps where not working I did another bios reset, (battery out). Now the bios works normal and windows also as if nothing happened.

Yes I have all the latest updates and also did a windows integrety check.

I can not believe that after 5 years still the same **bleep** is going on with the drivers. 

Nvidia is basically plug and play, have fun. While AMD is a nuclear meltdown or so, if our lucky your pc can still boot if you pop in an AMD driver.

I will see what the peops at the RMA dept. say of my reseller, to be honest I can not determine if AMD has working hardware or not.

Greeting

Sebastian

0 Likes
0 Replies