cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Dragaan
Journeyman III

O.M.G... did I make the wrong move ?? (help setting custom resolution.....)

Ok.... I built this PC in April of 2016, and it has been running the same installation (can't believe it) of Windows 10 ever since, flawlessly.  At the same time I built the PC I purchased a 4k 55" TV as my main display.  The TV I have is from late 2015 (2016 model I believe) and is called the X810C (55" version - it's a VA panel and it's 4K).  My initial gpu was a 980ti.  When I first fired up my system, I was alarmed at the fact that windows (and nvidia control panel) saw my display as native 1080p (I don't understand why this is).  I quickly figured out I could set a custom resolution in nvidia's control panel and that did the trick, and this system (and most of the time, this tv) have been running 24/7 for maybe 355days a year ever since (8yrs in april).  I've since replaced my gpu twice, going from the 980 Ti to a 1080, and then to a 1080 Ti which I used until about an hour ago...

Fast forward to today.  I purchased a 7800 XT over the holidays and decided to install it today.  I took all the precautions, ran DDU in safe mode, etc.  Even turned off Afterburner, which I've used this entire time as well.  But I figured I'm going to give the full-on Adrenaline software a shot first.  Well, first thing I notice is I'm back to 1080p.  I honestly forgot this was going to be an issue at all, since I never had to touch that nvidia control panel setting once since the initial setup on day1.  It IS a 4k display (again, Sony X810C - look it up on RTINGS, etc.), and it has ZERO issue displaying windows and playing ALL games in 4k (I game almost exclusively in 4k/60/vsync since I don't play huge AAA blockbusters and 4k wasn't much of an issue with the 1080 Ti until very recently).  To my absolute HORROR, though, the AMD software is telling me I CANNOT set this display's resolution to 3840x2160p because "it doesn't support it".  That's b******.  It is a 4k tv that for some odd reason shows up as 1080p native in windows.  It works beautifully as a 4k monitor for me and many others I've spoken with who use the same TV.  I repeat, this is a 4k display.  Therefore I believe there MUST be some way to successfully force the resolution without NEEDING to use an Nvidia card.........

I realize I typed out a whole story... but I'm freaking out here.  I have already opened and installed this near-$600 card.  I REALLY REALLY don't want to go back to my 1080 Ti because of this (which should be easily solvable - I just don't know how).  So, PLEASE, someone help.  There has to be someone from AMD or with enough knowledge/xp working with the hardware/software who knows how to solve this problem.  Right now my life is basically on hold from this moment until I can find a solution to this.  I really really need your help; it will be GREATLY appreciated!

0 Likes
1 Reply
Dragaan
Journeyman III

Oh, lord..... I just realized I am now able to set it to 4k in windows display settings and so far that seems to do the trick by itself (I wonder how long I would have been able to do it this way - i wasn't at the start so must have been one of the updates since).  So for now I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  Maybe the AMD card actually fixed it in some way?  this is odd. 

If someone knows why this particular TV shows up as native 1080p I would love to know (in windows it's the "(recommended)" resolution and in nvidia control panel I had to set a custom resolution and it also showed it as the "native" - in bold - resolution).  Or if there's something else I may encounter later that I'm not thinking of or may be unaware of, any help/info is still appreciated.

I hope I got it working for now.  About to try some games.  *Fingers crossed*

0 Likes