cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

dalsim007
Journeyman III

NOT SOLVED Heroes of Newerth black screen...Rx580 and now 5700XT

Had this issue with this game with the previous 580 8gn (Red Devil Golden Sample). Had tried formatting system, DDU cleanup, safe mode you name it. It was partially resolved by underclocking and undervolting the card (less frequent to not at all). Was especially good with the Adrenalin 2020 drivers set. I had a R9 280X prior to that, which never had any kind of black screen issues...

Just upgraded to a 5700XT hoping that this issue would finally be over. Now those black screens litterally crash my system, and I have to do a hard reset to get going (after which, I can usually play for a while with minor black screens that flicker to desktop for 5 sec or so). I have underclocked again and it seems to be better. Just like the 580, symptoms seem worse when using the DP than HDMI. 

All special driver functions are disabled in drivers setting (Chill, Radon Sync, Sharpening, etc.)

Heroes of Newerth is a pretty old game now, and not that played anymore, but would appreciate to know if other people experience the same issues. 

Considering returning the card and going green and hope for something more reliable... Would be a shame as I have been with team red since my 9700Pro, 2900XT, 4870, 5870, R9 280X, RX580 and now 5700XT...

As I typed this, comp went BSOD over VIDEO TDR_FAILURE (first time I get that one now...)

0 Likes
4 Replies
mickeekung
Challenger

What is your PSU?

0 Likes

An EVGA 650w PSU.

Strangely enough, I changed the card from the x8 to the x16 PCIe slot yesterday and HoN did not crash for 2 games straight (1h-ish).

Not optimal as my board is an Asus Strix z270g (m-atx size) with a Noctua DH-15 that ends right over the pci-e port. So for testing it, the GPU is actually pushing downward/ bent on the physical port. Don't think there is risk of a short as my Red Devil 5700xt has a full length backplate, but that seems to be a disaster waiting to happen...

0 Likes

So after a week of testing (with a new cooler that doesnt touch the GPU), issue is still there where screen goes black and drivers crashes. Strangely enough, once it hangs on black screen of death and I reset the computer, the drivers will only "crash and reset" for a few sec and gameplay will be fine again...

Anyone else has similar issues?

0 Likes
dalsim007
Journeyman III

SOLVED-----I think! - NOT SOLVED....

Here is what solved it:

1 - Disabling the Win10 Game mode made the whole system not crash anymore when the vid drivers did reset. The game would minimize and pop back after 5-7 sec. So that was an improvement

2 - Disabled all AMD In-Game overlay and killed AMD External Event Utility process in task manager.

3 - Disabled Fast-Boot in Power management settings of Win10

Worked for a few sessions. Installed the Win10 May update (1909) and cannot play more than 5 minutes before it crashes/black screen... Happens in both OpenGL mode and DX9 too...

0 Likes