cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Gandalf25
Journeyman III

Newbie , help very appreciated!

Hello folks sorry to take up your time today.

So yesterday I got my first ever proper gaming pc, 7800x3d with a 4070ti if any help to the subject incoming.. windows 11 also! 

I done a fresh install of w11 as I opted for No Os system(cheaper), installed all the drivers for AMD and nivida, I used the auto detect on AMD website and it installed the adrenaline app which then installed what was needed, I’ve noticed the chipset driver is v5.08.02.027 which seems to be the latest chipset driver on the amd website!

I seen a post saying about updating the motherboard drivers? Mines is the ASUS prime x670-p Wi-Fi so I went onto their website to have a look, on the drivers sections there’s an AMD chipset driver v5.11.02.217 with a newer release date also being 21/11/2023? 

slight confusion on what I should do, just stick to what AMD auto installed or should I try download that driver update via asus/mobo and see if it installs? 

probably overthinking but don’t want any unnecessary harm or hassle coming to my new PC, many many thanks in advance for any help and clearing up done? 

have a awesome day!

0 Likes
1 Solution
Eliminater74
Adept I

Congratulations on getting your new gaming PC! It sounds like a powerful setup.

Regarding your question about drivers, it's generally a good idea to keep them up to date, especially for a new PC. Here are some guidelines to consider:

1. **AMD Auto-Detect Tool**: Using the tool from AMD's website is good for getting the necessary drivers initially. However, it may not always provide the latest version, especially for specific motherboard models.

2. **Motherboard Manufacturer's Website**: It's often recommended to check the motherboard manufacturer's website for the latest drivers. In your case, the ASUS Prime X670-P Wi-Fi motherboard might have more updated drivers than what the AMD tool provided. This is because motherboard manufacturers sometimes release optimized drivers for their specific models.

3. **Installation**: If you decide to download the chipset driver from ASUS, make sure to follow the installation instructions provided on the website. It's usually a straightforward process.

4. **Backup and Restore Point**: Before updating drivers, it's a good practice to create a system restore point. This way, if anything goes wrong during the update, you can roll back to the previous state.

5. **Monitor Performance**: After updating the drivers, it's important to monitor the PC’s performance. Look out for any issues like system instability, crashes, or hardware compatibility problems. If everything runs smoothly, then the update was successful.

6. **Regular Updates**: Periodically check for driver updates. Keeping drivers updated can enhance system performance, provide bug fixes, and improve overall stability.

In summary, it's usually safe and beneficial to update to the latest drivers available, especially those provided by the motherboard manufacturer. Just ensure that the update process is done carefully and that a system restore point is created beforehand.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Eliminater74
Adept I

Congratulations on getting your new gaming PC! It sounds like a powerful setup.

Regarding your question about drivers, it's generally a good idea to keep them up to date, especially for a new PC. Here are some guidelines to consider:

1. **AMD Auto-Detect Tool**: Using the tool from AMD's website is good for getting the necessary drivers initially. However, it may not always provide the latest version, especially for specific motherboard models.

2. **Motherboard Manufacturer's Website**: It's often recommended to check the motherboard manufacturer's website for the latest drivers. In your case, the ASUS Prime X670-P Wi-Fi motherboard might have more updated drivers than what the AMD tool provided. This is because motherboard manufacturers sometimes release optimized drivers for their specific models.

3. **Installation**: If you decide to download the chipset driver from ASUS, make sure to follow the installation instructions provided on the website. It's usually a straightforward process.

4. **Backup and Restore Point**: Before updating drivers, it's a good practice to create a system restore point. This way, if anything goes wrong during the update, you can roll back to the previous state.

5. **Monitor Performance**: After updating the drivers, it's important to monitor the PC’s performance. Look out for any issues like system instability, crashes, or hardware compatibility problems. If everything runs smoothly, then the update was successful.

6. **Regular Updates**: Periodically check for driver updates. Keeping drivers updated can enhance system performance, provide bug fixes, and improve overall stability.

In summary, it's usually safe and beneficial to update to the latest drivers available, especially those provided by the motherboard manufacturer. Just ensure that the update process is done carefully and that a system restore point is created beforehand.

honestly thank you so much for that detailed reply, I’ve looked everywhere and you’ve just cleared it up for me in one swoop! 

so yes as you said the asus website seems to have a newer driver for the chipset than what was installed via amd auto detect tool! Don’t think it’s much older but I will update it tonight and see how it goes!

again thank you a lot, have you have a good day/night