cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

nikoskalapan
Adept I

New AMD gpu drivers crash entire pc

So I just bought an rx6700xt and when I try to install the new AMD drivers (22.5.1 or any 22.x.x versions) mid installation my pc crashes it tries to reboot but it goes into repair mode and it won't boot normally unless I go to safe mode and use ddu to clean the drivers.Only way to get the card running properly is to use older drivers (currently using 21.5.1) and it's running perfectly.

I tried updating windows,updating bios,motheboard drivers etc.

Sys specs:

i7 11700k,Asus z590-p,sapphire pulse 6700xt,16gb ddr4 2133mhz,windows 10 21H2

0 Likes
1 Solution

For anyone with this problem I found the solution . Apparently these drivers do not like dvi to hdmi and my monitor was using dvi. I got another monitor with hdmi to hdmi and everything is working properly and new drivers have no issues anymore.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
vialli100
Forerunner

I just upgraded to Asus RX 6700 XT and my driver is 22.3.1 with zero problems..

What is your PSU and are you using 2 separate pcie 8 pins?

I am on Win 11 though, I see your still on 10.. Don't know if that would make a difference?

Did you have AMD before the upgrade? I had an RX 580 Nitro+ and just swapped them over, without changing drivers..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
0 Likes

I have a 700w psu using 1 8pin and 1 6pin ,yeah I had an msi rx580 (which I never tried updating to the latest drivers)but I used ddu before swapping the cards

0 Likes

AMD drivers for the 580 is the same package for 6700, you only need to swap cards..

Look to see if the AMD folder is still on your boot drive, because that will have all your previous install packages in it..

Also see if you can download 22.3.1, which is the driver I am using..

I use CCleaner to clean my registry, you could try that and see if you can then install and use properly, make a a backup of the registry when it gives the option..

Otherwise a clean install of Windows may help..

As an extra, have you enabled pcie 4 in your bios, when I swapped mine I went into bios and changed it before the first boot.. Although it should work at pcie 3 anyway..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
0 Likes

Yeah card is running on gen 4 and I used a second SSD to do I fresh windows install with the same results ,any 22.x.x version does the exact same thing 

0 Likes

Is there a reason your running DDR4 2133 RAM?

Specs on the i7 11700k are DDR4 3200.  

I had a few issues with the DDR3 2133 RAM  with an AMD 9590 on an MSI 990FXA board.  If my memory serves me correctly, I had to run the RAM at 1800 to get any stability.  At 2133 it would crash that system just like you explained yours.  

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"
0 Likes

Go into bios and change the pcie to gen 3..
Then install drivers, see if that works and then change it back to gen 4..
0 Likes

For anyone with this problem I found the solution . Apparently these drivers do not like dvi to hdmi and my monitor was using dvi. I got another monitor with hdmi to hdmi and everything is working properly and new drivers have no issues anymore.

darthbaggins
Adept II

Now are you updating to the new stable recommended driver or the optional?  Stick with the Stable channel of drivers - had this issue with my son's RX 580 drivers a few months ago - I deselected the "beta" channel and alot of my stability issues went away.

0 Likes

I am always installing WHQL recommended drivers

0 Likes
mpryandds
Adept I

Have you tried re-seating the card in the expansion slot?  It could be that something is causing a bad connection. It doesn't cost anything.   Best of attention!

0 Likes