cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

wilder782
Adept I

Its almost 2023 and ReLive still cant record HDR

Recently switched to AMD with a 6800 XT after being on Nvidia for about 6 years (980 -> 1080 -> 1080 ti). So far its been great, but I was shocked to find that ReLive does not support recording in HDR. I do not stream or anything, but I have always had Instant Reply running when gaming, as I'm sure most people do, to capture cool or funny moments.

I have the Alienware AW3423DW QD-OLED monitor, so I always play in HDR or AutoHDR if the game doesnt support HDR. With my old GTX 1080 ti (a 5+ year old GPU), I had no issues with recording when playing in AutoHDR or native HDR.

With AMD on my 6800 XT, this just doesn't work at all. It doesnt record in the correct color space and the recordings are un-usable as they are extremely dark. No combination or settings or encoder type would get this to work with ReLive. The hardware should support this as recording in HDR does work with OBS (AutoHDR also can work too). This would be supported in ReLive natively, however, and this is just another area where AMD is far behind compared to Nvidia.

To demonstrate this issue, I took a recording of me playing in HDR using both ReLive and OBS. The recording were uploaded raw directly to YouTube. I got the codec info using VLC.

Playing in HDR, Recording Using ReLive

ReLive Settings:

- Video Bit Rate (Mb/s): 80

- Video Encoding Type: HEVC

The capture: https://youtu.be/3nuRcHvjwwg

The video info of the recording: https://imgur.com/fdMOkBi

- Color transfer function: ITU-R BT.709

- Color space: ITU-R BT.709 Range

Playing in HDR, Recording using OBS

OBS Settings:

- Encoder: AMD HW H.265 (HEVC)

- Rate Control: CBR

- Bitrate: 80000 Kbps

- Color Format: P010 (10-bit, 4:2:0, 2 planes)

- Color Space: Rec. 2100 (PQ)

- Color Range: Full

- HDR Nominal Peak Level: 1000 nits

- Game capture RBG10A2 Color Space: Rec. 2100 (PQ)

The capture: https://youtu.be/ERsDzk4bJts

The info of the recording: https://imgur.com/pOPq7o4

- Color primaries: ITU-R BT.2020

- Color transfer function: SMPTE ST2084 (PQ)

- Color Space: ITU-R BT.2020 Range

- Also includes the max luminescence data

From this, its obvious that ReLive just doesnt try to record HDR properly at all. The fact that I was able to get HDR to record with OBS very easily hopefully shows that this might be an easy fix.

13 Replies
Arfath
Journeyman III

It’s a shame that this is even an issue, I recently bought a hdr mini led monitor and I’ve been using Xbox game bar to record in HDR but even that has a performance hit for my XFX 7900 XTX for MW2 benchmark from avg fps 205 down to 172 avg fps. 

Axton
Challenger

While I can't offer a solution I can say that there are features in Adrenalin drivers that have not worked for many months , data logging for example.  It will log when at the desktop but when a game starts the logging stops.

As a relatively new AMD customer I can't speak about previous GPUs before the 6xxxXT.

Ingvarrr
Journeyman III

It's 2023 and it still can't neither HEVC nor AVC, sad

wilder782
Adept I

Halfway through 2023 and this functionality is still missing…

keskin1
Journeyman III

08.08.2023 still not recording.I don't think they are working on this issue.

0 Likes
Ansh13
Journeyman III

Its so annoying AMD has not had this feature. Im not sure if nVidia Shadowplay has it but if it does thats just disappointing AMD doesnt. Probably just gonna go for a nVidia GPU next time 

0 Likes
Ansh13
Journeyman III

Now almost 2024, and still this feature does not exist. Next GPU will be an nVidia. 

0 Likes

Seeing what NVidia does, I wouldnt go that far.

Did anyone in here start a feature request?

0 Likes
Digital_Ladd
Adept I

It's now 2024 and Radeon ReLive still can not record HDR...

Guin3aP1gg
Journeyman III

I have found a workaround. Not a fix, but its something. Going into DaVinci Resolve and setting the clips gamma to 0.10 on all values seems to give a matching image.

Ok, sweet. I'm going to give this a shot today and see what happens. 

Edit* Yea... I don't want to download another app. I just want AMD to do it natively lol. I mean, the PS5 can do it! Why can't my gpu do it, that costs more than the whole PS5?

So, how is it?

0 Likes