cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

lord_lethris
Adept I

Is There a Way To Relocate The Cache Folders?

I noted, after a recent installation of games, that I started running low on Primary/Boot Drive space.

I checked drive usage and noted that C:\Users\******\AppData\Local\AMD\ was in excess of 20+gb.  Notably the dxcache directories were huge.

If these directories are prone to getting large due to shader building, I would rather keep them away from my boot drive and have them on one of my other storage drives (which are also M2's - and thus more efficient)

Is there a way to relocate the AMD local AppData directory?  or even just have a custom location for cache, like you can set with the logs and the installation location.?

Thanks in advance.

8 Replies
MADZyren
Paragon

Perhaps through Windows registry, but anothe option might be to reinstall driver and radeon software, but choose D:\ <something> as installation folder

You could also simply clear this cache from Radeon software Reset shader cache

I have the drivers and software installed on another drive, but it still utilises C:\Users\******\AppData\Local\AMD\ to store cache and other things.

When you clear the cache, and then load up another app or game, it just re-creates the cache.
Games like "Uncharted" for example accumulate 3-6gb of cache - that's significantly large, but unavoidable.

It would be good to have the option to relocate the cache.

"It would be good to have the option to relocate the cache."

I agree.

For now, if you need more space to C-drive, try running disk cleanup, select "clean up system files", select everything manually and execute.

There used to be a way to map a whole drive or a folder in for instance D-drive as a folder on C-drive, but I just can't remember how to do it. The other way around it is easier, but doesn't help here.

There used to be an easy way to change the location of your profile folder (instead of C:\USERS\ you could use for instance D:\USERS\ ) which might have fixed your problem, but apparently things have changed. There are still ways to do it if you google it, but sounds so complicated, it would be easier for you to simply buy a larger drive and copy content to it (or reinstall) than move that folder.

0 Likes

Some Users in the past have had issues when changing the "Default" installation pathways when installing the AMD Driver package. But that isn't the case in your situation.

Are there any Radeon settings that will automatically clear the Cache folder when you exit a game?

Normally, AMD Driver package is installed in the C: Windows Drive.

NOTE: You can write a Command Line Batch file to delete that folder at a certain time every day using Task Scheduler and have a desktop icon to manually delete it  whenever you want. Since that Folder is automatically created each time you run a game then it shouldn't be a problem deleting it or its contents each day or manually.

I created a Batch File to run Powershell to create a Restore Point at midnight every day using Task Scheduler as an example. I also created a Batch file to run to copy a certain important Folder on another internal HDD to another internal HDD also using Task Scheduler.

I don't think clearing the Cache every time I play a game is a solution.  Uncharted, for example, took 45min to build shaders (and this is on a R9 5900x/RX 6800 XT).  I'm not sitting through that every time I want to play something.

Is there a Think-Tank / Enhancement request forum I could suggest the Idea of custom Cache folder locations?

You can try AMD Developer's Forum from here: https://community.amd.com/t5/newcomers-start-here/bd-p/newcomer-forum

0 Likes
kemoni221
Journeyman III

2024 and this still hasn't been resolved.

We need a way to change the shader cache location - many people use smaller, faster drives exclusively for OS loading due to the possiblility of data corruption from an OS error.

Why can't I just use my bigger, faster M.2 drive to store shaders? The whole point of them is keeping them on your machine so that performance improves. Clearing the shaders regularly when you play the same games is just a waste of this great technology.

0 Likes