Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

gunjob
Adept II

'HTC Vive' - Headset not detected - 7900XTX

Hello Fellow AMD peoples,

Has anyone had issues with the original HTC Vive and the 7900XTX, I've been unable to get it working at all (poor performance aside).

I'm running the latest version of SteamVR and drivers are 23.1.1 and its connected via HDMI from the link box to the GPU.

https://i.imgur.com/lxvkSEY.png

Last used with my RTX3080 without issue.

Might just be broken until a new driver but I'll be interested to know if anyone has a work around.

Cheers

5 Replies
EmilG
Adept III

Honestly mate, unless you want to be pulling your hair out month after month waiting for AMD to release a fix for VR, just go back to NVIDIA. I haven't been able to play VR since I got my 7900 GPU about a month and a half ago, and that's all I played. I'm just waiting for pay day so I can sell my 7900 and buy a 4080. The other side have absolutely no issues in the VR department. I should have waited for reviews of the AMD product before jumping the gun and buying one on day one. Never again, straight to NVIDIA for me in the future.

delevero
Adept III

I think that allot of people have VR problems due to a bad drivers for the 7900xtx since release day about 1½ month ago.
Personaly i cannot even turn on my vr since the amd graphic card driver crash when i activate the software required to turn on my vr ( pimax 8kx )

Try to bypass the linkbox if you can and plug the cables directly into the rear of your graphics card. Maybe move the cables around and see if that help.
Also a guy wrote he had success with his vr when he did not connect it to the computer while he was installing the graphic card driver. He also did a custom install where he only selected to install the driver and nothing els.
But in general i think you have to wait for a driver update to fix your problem, but give it a try.
I dont think the problem is hardware related.

gunjob
Adept II

I should add the work around for this was to by pass the Link box for the HDMI connection, this isn't ideal as I lose length on my tether cable.

I was having the exact same issue (10 months later).  Your workaround worked for me; much appreciated!

0 Likes
sghub
Journeyman III

I've been addressing the issue of SteamVR not detecting the Oculus Quest 2 headset and found several potential solutions:

• Headset Detection in Oculus PC App:
    • Ensure the Quest 2 is recognized in the Oculus Link PC software.
  • Restart SteamVR:
    • Try resetting SteamVR from within the application.
  • Restart Headset & PC:
    • Turn off the headset, unplug the Oculus Link cable if used, restart the PC, then restart and reconnect the headset.
  • Enable “Unknown Sources” in Oculus Software:
    • Allow running apps from outside the Oculus Store.
  • Reinstall SteamVR:
    • Uninstall and reinstall SteamVR either via Steam or Windows settings.
  • Enable SteamVR Beta Client:
    • Opt into the SteamVR Beta for potentially resolved issues and new features.
  • Try Alternative Methods:
    • Test different connection methods like Air Link or Virtual Desktop to isolate the issue.
  • Contact Oculus / SteamVR Support:
    • If all else fails, provide detailed information and logs to Oculus and SteamVR Support.

These steps helped in resolving the connectivity issue effectively. Feel free to check out my post for more details on any of these solutions!

0 Likes