cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

How can AMD justify killing support for machines less than 3 years old?

Simple question.

How can AMD justify killing support for a laptop device that's less than 3 years old?

I have a Lenovo 330, A9 chipset machine, and with the release of the new Radeon software 21.6.1, effectively, my machine is unsupported, so if Microsoft updates Win 10, and breaks something, I've nowhere to go, and that means replacing a machine that does what I need, in a reasonable time frame, and it still has plenty of storage etc. It wasn't an end of life machine purchased from a back street clearance house, the retailer was still selling a similar model to mine 12 months ago, it had the same CPU/GPU content, just a different drive and memory.

Looks to me like AMD has just well and truly lost any loyalty I might have had to them, and I am going to be very reluctant to buy anything with an AMD sticker on it going foward.

Am I the only person who thinks that AMD is no longer a good place to be looking when considering hardware in future?

77 Replies
LivingTheDream
Adept I

Re: How can AMD justify killing support for machines less than 3 years old?

I too am deeply disappointed by the total and utter lack of notice or advance warning of deprecation of support. I purchased an R9 Fury brand new in box back in 2016 with the expectation of roughly 8 years of support, not FIVE, and I certainly expected some advance notice as someone who purchased a flagship GPU. In the meantime Maxwell equivalents (gtx 980/980ti) are still fully supported by Nvidia and to be completely frank I find it downright astonishing that the company that purported itself to be the "value" proposition dumpsters its customers whenever they want while Nvidia will give easily a year's notice of impending driver deprecation.

Considering this isn't the first time this has happened (My AMD Richland APU laptop was deprecated from support TWO years after purchase) I'm done recommending AMD GPUs or APUs to anyone and my next purchase will be Nvidia for sure.

I was looking for a feedback email where I could submit my feedback but I guess this will have to do.

Just wanted to add that this was pulled during an unprecedented chip shortage and price hike that has made GPU upgrades inaccessible to many, the loss of my job in 2020 was a big part of why I couldn't afford an upgrade.

cimamura
Adept II

THANK YOU! I was looking for a post about what I am seeing today. I was about to download and update my driver when I see that my R9 Fury X is now a legacy card and this will be its last driver. I got it with my Alienware and its been running even the newest of games. I know its old, but sheesh, this was not a good surprise. Gonna have to think about which GPU now. Seems a lot of games are going green. My very first upgrade card in my old Dell was a 128MB card lol, Nvidia I got at now closed Frys Electronics. Maybe time to make a full circle?

kingfish
MVP

The chip was introduced in 2017...the requirement changes in Windows 10 outstripped the capabilities of this APU.

replied with a post that gave specific detail, but it's been marked as spam, (now reported to moderation) hopefully it will get unmarked, as it has all the details that are online on AMD site. The chip is an A9-9425, less than 3 years old, and only released Mid 2018. When I try to post a cut down version, it accuses me of post flooding. Why am I bothering? Quicker to just forget that AMD exists!

0 Likes
hitbm47
Miniboss

@kingfish, here is the answer to your original question:

https://community.amd.com/t5/blogs/product-and-os-support-update-for-radeon-software-adrenalin-21-6/...

It shows a whole table of cards which is going to fall under legacy status. Yes the cards are old, and like I said in this or some other post this means my RX 480/RX 580 will fall under the same roof just around the corner; this is a major concern because the driver performance CPU side has worsened just after 16.6.2 in some games (UT3, HOMM7, Crysis 3, etc.) and has never improved since then, and if AMD is willing to drop support with never attending that issue it tells they will do the same to all the rest of the cards.

In addition, compatibility is an absolute necessity in PC gaming, one can't keep a different PC around for each generation of gaming.

Basically, AMD is pulling an Apple in terms of performance (think it was the iPhone 4 to 5 OS Upgrade, not that I ever used iPhone) where they expect/force you to buy the latest hardware to get acceptable performance in their latest drivers for your GPU.

Radeon Chill has not worked properly from the start, in certain games if you are in areas with too little polygons or such the Chill algorithm disables causing the FPS to sky rocket, thus disrupting the emersion and causing Coil Wine. To think that this will be a permanent case on pre- RX 400 cards. Still no VSync override other than for OpenGL, except if you are lucky to have Enhanced Sync support.

Furthermore, one cannot specifically use an older driver such as 16.6.2 on Windows 10 deletes it and replaces it with a new-ish driver, and of course one wants some of the new available features such as RIS.

In addition, it is easy to say get a new CPU when the FX 8350 was sold as the top of the line AMD CPU in one's country in the year 2016; at that stage jumping from Intel, clockspeed was still a relevant factor and seeing 4.0Ghz on FX 8350 was very delusional.

Kind regards

kingfish
MVP

It will be interesting to see the fallout when Microsoft releases Windows 11....which is scheduled for release shortly. Compatibility is one of its main themes.

There are many people who have, as a example, laptops with Intel/AMD switchable graphics who cannot update their drivers because the Intel graphics (HD3000 and earlier) is not supported under Windows 10. The AMD graphics do...but that doesn't matter. Some people disable the integrated graphics and operate with the discrete graphics only. These are not choices made by AMD. But I feel your pain.

Also....why haven't you set your update preference to stop/delay Microsoft from automatically installing graphics driver updates??

Screenshot_2.png

kingfish
MVP

timaobimundial
Adept I

So let me see. I use a fullHD monitor with my (at the time) very expensive, R9 390x.
It's a 8gb card, more powerfull than a lot of newest models. Pretty enough to my need and capable of running any game at high/ultra quality settings in fullHD.
But I'm being forced to buy even a weaker GPU just because AMD is making it forced obsolete via software?
I'm pretty sure there's jurisprudence in cases like that and don't use to go very well for companies that abuses this practice.
I'm starting to miss the AMD that was the nice under dog...
Still time to make better choices.  

Vantharas
Adept II

Honestly, I'm glad they are. All of that old architecture is just that old. It doesn't perform well and mostly all of that old architecture has been moved as far as it's going to.  There is a reason that AMD didn't have anything competitive for the longest time. Focusing on hardware that is underperforming and not competitive would do them harm in the long run now that they have real graphics card architecture again that can go toe to toe with Nvidia. I get the whole 3 years thing. However, it's not like the product is just going to quit being useful. It'll be fine for years to come for esports titles and the like. 

That being said Microsoft is making Windows 11 Direct X12 as a minimum requirement. So you can also thank Microsoft as well. 

Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL , 5TB SSD , 13TB Mechanical. Crosshair VII , 5800X , Nvidia 3090, 32gb 14 14 14 32 @ 3600mhz Corsair ram. Corsair 860 AX PSU , RGB like crazy.