Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

darynman
Journeyman III

Help to find a chipset driver

Hi all.

I would like to ask for your help in understanding whether or not I need to install some AMD driver that I just can't seem to find anywhere.

I have a somewhat dated computer with a Ryzen 7 2700 Eight-Core Processor 3.20 GHz. 32 RAM, Windows 10. The motherboard is an MSI X470 Gaming Pro, with PCIe gen3.

I want to add more storage capacity with a new (supposedly backwards-compatible) PCIe gen4 dual expansion card for two NVMe SSDs and insert it in the PCIe x16 slot on the motherboard which supports lane bifurcation by setting this mode in the BIOS. Unfortunately, I tried it several times but I can't make the card to be recognized by the system. Actually, the system won't even boot at all when the card is attached, but it has no problems whatsoever if the card is not present. So, unless the card is faulty (which I can't test, unfortunately), I think it can be a problem with the motherboard's compatibility. That's why I want to update my older BIOS version (2019) to improve the compatibility with newer PCIe devices, as stated in MSI's BIOS updates, and see if the problem can be solved that way.

Of course, I will install the newest update that can be found on their site, but when I had a look at older versions in their update history I saw this line that I've marked in red:

MSI BIOS UPDATE 1.jpg

So I'm not sure if this is really recommended only for that BIOS version or it would be best to have the AMD chipset driver 18.10xxxx or later installed when updating the BIOS to any version after that one. Actually I don't know where to find the driver in question. When I went to AMD's support page to look for the right chipset driver for my system I could only find the 5.08.02.027 (which I installed to update my older drivers), but nothing similar to the 18.10 or later that MSI recommended.

If I go to look in my Windows Apps & Features, I have three different AMD folders: one is named AMD Chipset Software (with the driver I just installed), another one is named AMD Ryzen Master, also recently installed, and then another older one just named AMD Software, which shows a number 17.7, as shown in the screenshots:

SCREENSHOT- AMD CHIPSET 1.jpg

SCREENSHOT-AMD SOFTWARE 1.jpg

The language is Spanish, but I think you get the idea. When I click on the button there I get this:

SCREENSHOT-AMD SOFTWARE 2.jpg

I wonder if this 17.40.xxxx is the version that MSI recommends updating to a 18.10 or later. But the fact is that I can't find that blessed chipset driver anywhere here. So I would very much appreciate any help in clarifying this or any suggestion related to the installation of that PCIe card. Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
3 Replies

Suggest you ask msi support, or post on their forum on how & what steps should be taken for updating.

Some motherboard makers have their own specific updating process outside of amd?

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

Thanks for the reply. The motherboard is MSI brand, not ASUS. I've asked in their forums but they just suggest to update to the latest BIOS version. Anyway, I would like to know about that AMD driver, though.

0 Likes

Oops,  fixed that (now msi).

Sorry, i have no idea where to find that driver.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes