JMR1988
Journeyman III

Helldivers 2 Game Crashing

My system:

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 6-Core Processor, RAM 32,0 GB, GPU
AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT.

Windows 11

Game: Helldivers 2 .

I can play the game for 10 minutes or 2 hours then the game crashes.

I then get a black screen and the game and the AMD software restart.

I tried it with many different graphics settings. Whether high or low, it crashes all the time

51 Replies
axegoode
Journeyman III

game setting. turn off the global illumination. 

0 Likes

I've tried that and I still crash almost every single game and that's not an exaggeration.  It's so frustrating that I'm about to request a refund.  

0 Likes
Cliffford
Adept I

I have a 7900XTX and 7800X3D , it run but you must turn off Anti.aliasing and global ill. then no problems .And amd is the last how change driver ,everytime the same!

I can in-fact say that this works, it's a fix until they come out with the driver update for this game so all we can do is give them time and be patience, I'd rather them take their time than for the update to be rushed with problems so let's all respect the people who are trying to figure out the problem!

MJ1337
Journeyman III

7800X3D, 7800 XT, 32 GB, Windows 10

I've played ~79 hours of Helldivers 2 on driver version 24.1.1 with no driver timeouts after changing all of my graphics settings to off/lowest/low with the exception of ultra textures and anti-aliasing on. I also limited my GPU frequency from 2565 MHz to 2254 MHz and capped my Max FPS at 90. Radeon Chill Min FPS 90 and Max FPS 90 too. Render scale: native. Display mode: borderless window.

All these settings caused my GPU to sit around 80% utilization and my game still crashed plenty, but no more driver timeouts and no more crashing than my friends using non-AMD systems.

0 Likes

You gonna fix it fopr peopel with issues on cyberpunk? Phantom brigade? EtC?

0 Likes

so dont use your product as intended is the general advice. so ridiculous.

0 Likes
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Thanks for the post. We are aware of an issue with Helldivers and are invesstigating. When I have any further updates to share, I'll be back to update the discussion. Until that time, I appreciate your patience. 

By any chance is Kingdom Hearts 1.5+2.5 going to be investigated?

It times out the Display Driver randomly and Refresh rate seems to cause crashes more frequently, some of them worse than others.

I get the feeling this issue will never be fixed since its been around for months now and not even acknowledged as an "issue".

0 Likes

Any estimate on when we'll get working drivers? The problems became even worse with the latest drivers, at least for the 7900xtx, and I haven't been able to play in weeks.

0 Likes
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Hi Folks.

The game recently received an update to improve stability. In addition to this, we just released Adrrenalin 24.3.1, which contains an additional fix for Helldivers 2. Please refer to the release notes.

Fixed Issues
Improvement to intermittent driver timeout or application crash experienced while playing HELLDIVERS™ 2 on AMD Radeon™ RX 7900 series GPUs.

Please can users check their game is up to date and they are using the 24.3.1 driver. 

If the issue continues, please can you let me know the exact make and model of the GPU you are using. For example, 7900 XTX Asus TUF OC. And in what area of the game does the issue occur? Is it random or in a particular area?

I apprecite it. 

Hello Matt! Tried the HD2 with new drivers, still the same issue. Using DX12, with ultra preset ingame, 1440p native, no FPS lock, game crashes within 5 to 10 minutes while you enter the match or tutorial. Game behaves fine if you stay on the ship though, no matter what you do there or how much time you spend there. It crashes with driver timeout only in "mission".

My GPU is: RX 7900xtx ASROCK Phantom Gaming series.

Definitely seems to be related to Direct X 12

0 Likes

It sure is. Switching to -use-d3d11 fixes the problem, as long as I turn off global illumination.

Thank you for the response!

My experience with the crashing I about the same as with Nakedjustice. I'm also using the latest driver. I do have a dual-monitor setup however, which was mentioned in the known issues for causing driver timeouts. My GPU is rx 7900xtx sapphire pulse.

0 Likes

Gigabyte rx 5700 xt Gaming OC

Game crashes randomly while starting with green or black screen or durring mission. I run 24.3.1 driver on both my systems and one with rx 6950 xt Nitro+ runs just fine

0 Likes

Just to let you know.

Rysen 5700x, 32g, Asus TUF x570, m.2, PSU Corsair TM850 and Asus dual OC RX580x 8g(not old)
24.3.1 windows 10

Game crash HARD giving no signal, audio still works, other software still running like Discord.... pressing reset button in the chassi do not give signal back, PC restart with no signal. So i do need to press the power to shutdown and it them boot fine BUT driver is broken and catalyst wont open. So i had to reinstall driver.
The driver do not come back from the crash!
It happened several times(5 plus). You can start the game fine but it will eventually black screen.

So i rollback to 24.1.1!!! 24.3.1 performance was better but it crashes every time.

Polaris users do not have 24.4.1 driver available. Just to let AMD know.

0 Likes

still crashes, Matt.

latest rev everything, 7900XT, 5800X, 64GB. Took about 90 minutes but full Application Crash.

No bueno.

0 Likes

Hi Matt, 

CPU: 5800x 

GPU: 7900XTX

Playing this game solo is just impossible. We are crashing almost 100% of the time when we try to play the game. 
Disabling AA or Global illumination, capping FPS, reducing Mhz, returning to dx11 ... none of these things seem to be a solution to the problem. 

I just crasht again because I tried to move around the map by pressing my right mouse button. 
After 30 years, I've moved from Intel to AMD. I was/am still very happy with the performance overall. But please fix this issue as it's really starting to put a dent into my trust. 

Kind regards

0 Likes

my system:

-7800 XT Asrock Phantom Gaming

-7700x w/ -30 all core offset and 95 watt limit

-B650m gigabyte DS3H

-2x16gb DDR5 6000mhz CL36

-Corsair RM850w PSU

I still get crashes in Helldivers 2 and pretty much any game that makes the card run at 90-100% usage. What is going on??? Yes, I use DDU exclusively. YES, I keep my bios up to date. None of it helps.

I did find the reddit guide and capped but boost clock to 2200mhz and frame capped to 80fps with RTSS. But this is RIDICULOUS! My brother is playing HD2 with a 3600 and a gtx 1080 and is nearly getting the same performance!! Why did I pay $550 for a card that can't deliver the performance it promised. I'm so tired of this bullcrap

0 Likes
Slizerdk
Adept I

The problem seems to be persistent to all games using the Adobe Stingray including Warhammer4000: Vermintide and now Helldivers 2.

Right before crash my fps seems to go wild despite being on Radeon chill at 60 fps. and game set to max 60 fps. for some reason Adrenalin seems to override these settings and go amok causing a power spike and stopping the driver from answering causing a crash.

Same behavior in Warhammer 4000 so an OLD problem still needing fixing.

Why would we buy a amd 7xxx series gpu just to cripple it,  if we wanted lower performance for our money we would have bought a Nvidia or Intel Gpu series!

0 Likes

Yeah focing/injecting DX11 in Deus Ex Mankind Divided took my 7900 XTX from 144fps capped, to 28... I have no idea why that happens?

0 Likes
chaserino
Adept I

7900xtx GPU + 7950x CPU + 32gb RAM, Windows 11, drivers : 24.1.1 

Exactly same problem as OP describes in Helldivers 2.

I play a lot of games including demanding ones (like cyberpunk with RT for example) and I don't have crashes in those games.

Still waiting for an update on this.

andros9000
Journeyman III

Same problem with 7900XT and Helldivers 2. AMD Ryzen 9 7900X, 32 GB, Windows 11. Will there be a drive update or fix soon?

0 Likes
BabyPlut0
Journeyman III

If any of yall still having issue, i suggest you to follow the steps. It helped me alot and im able to run the game smoothly no crashes.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Helldivers/comments/1ana9wc/amd_7000_series_crash_solution/

ThreeDee
Paragon

I run a 7800X3D and 7900XT, HX1200 PSU.. 2 x 27" 1440p monitors (1 is 144hz, primary is 165hz). 

I was having crashes from 1 minutes to as long as 30minutes with all eye candy enabled/settings maxed

Turning off SS Global Illumination fixed the crashes for me

Now after game update and running some beta drivers (not sure which one fixed it) , I can run with SS Global Illumination enabled and I still not crashing

Make sure your motherboards BIOS is up to date

Make sure you have the latest AM4/AM5 chipset drivers installed from AMD.com (or Intel.com IF you are running an Intel setup)

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes
bimbom
Adept II

its a structured data issue with the game. we're just going to have to wait for updated drivers and game client patches.

you can try closing programs you dont use while gaming and remove any overclocking on your hardware.

0 Likes
Havingfun2night
Journeyman III

Crashing non stop, sometimes 3 times in a single match. I can rejoin my friends but its unplayable for me. 24.1.1 7900 xtx/12700k. Winfows 11.

0 Likes

Hello everyone, is anyone still having problems with crashes? Since the latest Helldrivers update I have been able to play for a while without any problems. The game has been crashing again since yesterday and it's very annoying. Windows 11 64bit, 32Gb 7300 MHz RAM, AMD 7900xtx, Ryzen 9 CPU.

0 Likes

Yep, still crashing since the new patch with all the "tricks" applied from the last time, fps, certain settings off etc...

0 Likes
Hellstrum
Journeyman III

I have the same build and same issue..

0 Likes
Retrobro
Journeyman III

Hell divers 2 is still crashing after 

turning off global illumination, turning off anti-analyzing , turning settings to low, changing to native resolution, changing to borderless window, and underclocking the gpu.

currently running 7800xt and 7900xtx. 
Using  24.2.1 Drivers 

0 Likes

I can't understand why AMD and game developers can't fix the problem. The game would be primarily developed for the PS5, the PS5 runs on AMD. All of the proposed solutions are not a solution for me. What did I buy a 7900xtx for if I'm supposed to turn everything off? Low resolution, global illumination blah blah blah...

try these two changes, which fixexd all my issues:

1. Forcing DX11 fixes the game crashes
2. Limiting framerate in-game to 90 seems to have fixed the issue where the PC shuts off (although you may need to play with this number a bit to see what works for you).

with both of these changes, I can still run the game with higher graphics so you dont take a hit with reduced quality.

0 Likes
absolutefiend
Journeyman III

Currently forcing DX11 to resolve the issue.

For Steam:

Go to Helldivers 2, right-click, select Properties, and input "--use-d3d11" into the launch options.

Yes, this is what fixed it for me as well.  Well, both of these changes:

1. Forcing DX11 fixes the game crashes

2. Limiting framerate in-game to 90 seems to have fixed the issue where the PC shuts off.

0 Likes
Cliffford
Adept I

Ok ,my Problem was the powersup..The 7900xtx destroi my 850 watt powersu. .I buy now a 1200 watt atx 3.0 and no broblems !

0 Likes
mda777
Adept I

Ryzen 7 5800X3D + RX 7900 XT running stable on 24.2.1

If memory serves, I might have had a couple of driver crashed firsthand, when running @144fps, but with a 60fps cap, everything has been fine so far. I'm running the game on a 1440p monitor, native resolution. Graphics settings are on Ultra, with the exception of volumetric fog & sky turned to low, and I think I have motion blur off.

Global illumination is ON.

Apart from a few non-driver related crashes and an occasional network error here and there, it runs fine.

My GPU is undervolted, btw.

0 Likes