Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

2ramiro
Adept I

HDR only working in games with FreeSync Premium Pro

Hello,

I got a Axer Predator X32FP with a 7900xtx running on win 11 and when i enable FreeSync in the screen OSD hdr stops working in videos like youtube in microsoft edge or Netflix or VLC.

Sometimes it works ,all screens freeze for severeal seconds and then it switches to hdr when you put a HDR video on fullscreen.

I read somewhere that with freesync 2 enabled the desktop is rendering in SDR because the GPU is taking over the control of hdr , so i think that the driver is not reliably detecting HDR content and keeps running in SDR , when i disable freesync the desktop also gets a litte bit clearer with hdr enabled.

If that is the issue is there a way to force HDR everywhere with freesync enabled ?

0 Likes
7 Replies
2ramiro
Adept I

Has nobody else the same issue with a hdr monitor and freesync premium pro?

0 Likes

I have the same issue with a Hisense U7K and 7900xt and I have been looking for a solution for several months with no luck. Hisense has offered to replace a board in the tv, but I doubt that is the problem.

0 Likes
Diego6k9
Adept I

I'm having the issue that my G8 OLED monitor is capped to 400 nits and cannot reach its peak brightness of 1000 nits using FreeSync Premium Pro.

AMD please fix your FreeSync HDR pipeline to allow more than 400 nits.

0 Likes
2ramiro
Adept I

I opened a ticket at acer , and they confirmed that the amd driver turns adaptive lighting off everywhere except in games  when using freesync premium pro, i have no idea what sense that makes , so please amd make it a option in the driver that i can decide if i want adaptive lighting on the desktop and movies or not.

0 Likes

I see that amd has a list of games that support freesync premium pro. Maybe it just doesn't work unless the game supports it. That seems bad to me if that is the case.

0 Likes

See if this long AMD Thread about FreeSync Premium Pro and certain Monitors is similar to your situation or not: https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics/problem-with-enabling-hdr-on-7900-xt-with-qn90a-tv/m-p/575236#...

0 Likes
2ramiro
Adept I

Seems to be a different issue , but the trick to turn freesync premium pro to freesync premium is interesting , i will try that next week.

As far as i observed the main problem with my screen is that amd decided to turn of adaptive lighting (local dimming) when you are not playing games by driver , so that blacks outside games just look horrible because the local dimming is at 100% , and it seems nobody at amd expected that you would also watch hdr movies on a PC.

I did not test if i got full brightness in games yet , but it seemed fine.