cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

FizzleFuze
Journeyman III

Graphics cards failure

I've been having a problem recently where my graphics card fails under load. I'm not sure the details of what is happening as there are no errors logged. The monitor simply says "no cable connected" and the fans run loudly (I'm guessing at 100%)  until I restart the PC. There's nothing in Event Viewer except a message that the previous shutdown was unexpected.

I've done all the troubleshooting I can think of, so I suspected it was a bad card. However, I replaced it with my old card which is showing the same behaviour. It is fine when idling, but under load it fails "disconnects". It seems unlikely to me that both cards would fail in the same way at the same time, perhaps short of a design flaw.

I've done all the troubleshooting I can think of, including, but not limited to, replacing the entire PC. It is clearly a problem with both AMD cards. Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed?

For reference, I have an RX 480 and an R9 240.

0 Likes
1 Solution
NemanjaKole
Adept I

Which PSU do you have and how many W?,did u changed paste on both cards?,try putting cards in other pc and see if it still crashes,if u have multiple pci slots on motherboard try other ones,and if u can try older gpu to see if maybe if your windows isnt corrupted

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
NemanjaKole
Adept I

Which PSU do you have and how many W?,did u changed paste on both cards?,try putting cards in other pc and see if it still crashes,if u have multiple pci slots on motherboard try other ones,and if u can try older gpu to see if maybe if your windows isnt corrupted

0 Likes

1300 and an 1100: enough power to run both cards simultaneously, more than enough for 1 at a time.

I pulled the older card apart and the paste was in horrible shape. Cleaned it off and put some new paste on and so far so good. 

Thanks for that suggestion.

0 Likes