cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

chuil
Adept II

Gpu usage remaining 100%, after quitting game.

After closing cyberpunk 2077 (this is an example), I could see that the gpu utilization was 100% idle . I "fixed" it by opening another game, killing the radeon host service process or simply restarting the pc. my question is: why does it happen?.

RX 590 and 22.1.1 drivers.

This is what it looks like when I close the game:

g39zy5ymyui81

18 Replies
ThunderBeaver
Miniboss

Depends on the game you were running.

There are games out there that are known for causing severe thermal overloads on all kinds of GPU's.

Outside of that try a factory reset driver install from AMD.com

Run Command Prompt as admin sfc /scannow to check and repair OS errors. Follow with restart.

Run Command Prompt as admin CHKDSK C:/f for a quick check and repair of your storage drive. This will require a restart to perform a disk check also works on SSD's.

Run dxdiag to check your video and audio display drivers for missing files.

Ensure you have windows 10 fully updated.

Check MOBO website for CPU chipset driver updates and check BIOS update list for and BIOS version that best supports your hardware setup. 

You may need to check the file integrity of the game or games causing the problem or re install them.

It is possible that the games themselves have been corrupted or their support has been dropped.

There are several possibilities. Did you get the GPU new used reconditioned recertified or open box? 

0 Likes

" There are games out there that are known for causing severe thermal overloads on all kinds of GPU's. "

It's not overloaded

" Outside of that try a factory reset driver install from AMD.com "

Already did

" Run Command Prompt as admin sfc /scannow to check and repair OS errors. Follow with restart.

Run Command Prompt as admin CHKDSK C:/f for a quick check and repair of your storage drive. This will require a restart to perform a disk check also works on SSD's.

Run dxdiag to check your video and audio display drivers for missing files. "

Nothing works

" Ensure you have windows 10 fully updated. "

I'm using windows 11 and it's a fresh install (also it happens in windows 10)

" Check MOBO website for CPU chipset driver updates and check BIOS update list for and BIOS version that best supports your hardware setup. "

I consider it as a last option, updating the bios can be counterproductive.

"You may need to check the file integrity of the game or games causing the problem or re install them.

It is possible that the games themselves have been corrupted or their support has been dropped."

Everything OK with the games

"There are several possibilities. Did you get the GPU new used reconditioned recertified or open box?"

New

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was searching for this problem and found a few results but all with no solution. Apparently the problem is the drivers and especially the Radeon Settings: Host Service process. I can put the links to the posts if you need them.

alejo123
Journeyman III

I want to install the version of amd 19.12.1 but when doing it in a custom way it only downloads 2 packages.
I already tried doing it in clean installation and the error continues.

radeon.PNG

i have  an rx5500xt

ryzen 2200g

16gb

windows 10 pro 64x

20h2

Very clear concise and to the point much appreciated.

Honestly at this point I would try driver only and a third party GPU settings controller. If that fails then RMA.

hotdogsauce
Journeyman III

Had the same issue, just went into radeon setting>relive>recording>instant replay and turned it off.The host service usage in the task manager should show the result.I hope this was the same issue.

0 Likes

I already have it disabled by default, I turned it on and off to test it but it didn't work. I started the game, closed it and saw that everything was normal at idle. Then I started the game to check it again and closed it again but the 100% "bug" appears again.

chuil
Adept II

After some research, I have come to a conclusion.

currently, optional drivers have problems especially with cyberpunk 2077 on polaris architecture. so, the problem is the driver and the polaris architecture gpu's (RX400, RX500).

similar problem:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/r110ex/gpu_usage_remaining_100_after_quitting_game/

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/r10pfx/gpu_usage_100_after_quitting_game/

https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/pood78/rx_480_stuck_at_100_gpu_usage_after_playing_games/

chuil
Adept II

There are still no new WHQL drivers, and the optional drivers don't fix anything, I think they are already forgetting about the polaris architecture.

chuil
Adept II

no new WHQL drivers yet or any news

Looks as a measuring error to me, its only pulling 66W, so its definitelly not fully utiliazing, have you tried hw info or aida or any other utility? 

0 Likes

After playing on vulkan api22.png11.png

Ryzen 5 5600; ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING; Sapphire RX 6600 Pulse; G.Skill Trident Z 3200GHz CL14 /2x8 Gb; Seasonic Focus-GX-750W 80 Gold Plus; LG 27GR75Q-B QHD; Windows 11 Pro 23h2; Kingston KC2500 250Gb M2. /Kingston NV2 1TB M.2; SSD Crucial MX500; HDD WD Blue - 1T.
0 Likes

The same but with dx12 games (tested in cyberpunk 2077  and deep rock galactic)

EDIT: After some more digging on the internet, I found that the problem could be Radeon RELIVE on POLARIS architecture, so, install the driver without it and everything should go normal (I didn't test it yet).

Source: https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/radeon-software-gpu-utilization-100-bug/td-p/490585

What do you mean? When I said it is new I mean that I bought it as new (almost 3 years ago) and not used. But the problem here is the driver, not the hardware. Anyway, I started selling it online, we'll see what comes first, an update to fix the problem or the sale. I'm tired of waiting for a fix and AMD is focusing on RDNA2 and newer APU's.

Months of waiting for nothing, still no fix, no support for the fsr driver level (they already said so but hey, my fault for hoping). i'm totally done with them. this is the last time i'll buy amd gpu. thanks for nothing.

I have downloaded and installed the new drivers to check if it still happens. Yes, it's still happening, AMD hasn't touched anything with the polaris architecture (I don't know with vega).

chuil
Adept II

new update (adrenalin 22.8.1 optional) and nothing

Mateus_Puschel
Journeyman III

I'm having the same exact problem, after I formatted my computer, I'm having this 100% GPU problem for 3 days after closing even Photoshop, still no solution, I'll try to update all BIOS today and format the HD instead only of the SSD.

0 Likes
zoro58
Journeyman III

I mostly play monster hunter rise, after i exit it gpu usage gets stuck at 100%, and won't drop down unless I kill the host service.

Here is how I "fixed" it with the batch I wrote

step 1: creating a bat file

open notepad, paste this (will talk about what to change later)

@echo OFF

cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam"
start steam.exe -applaunch 1446780

@echo OFF

:A

SET MyProcess=MonsterHunterRise.exe

timeout 60 >nul

ECHO "%MyProcess%"

TASKLIST | FINDSTR /I "%MyProcess%"

IF ERRORLEVEL 1 (GOTO :Kill) ELSE GOTO :A

:Kill

taskkill /f /t /im AMDRSServ.exe

exit

save it as a .bat file

step 2: changes. modify as folloiwng

cd "*insert your app path here*"

start *yourapp.exe*

when you go down change it like this SET MyProcess=*yourapp.exe"

step 3: saving: copy this file to somewhere safe, then create a shortcut to desktop, go to properties, advanced and check "Run as Admin" (important)

then you can change the shortcut name to your app name and can change its icon to your original app

What does it do?

it launches your app, checks if it is still running every 60 seconds, if it is not running it kills the Radeon host service.

when you run this you will see a black cmd screen, it will be there unless you close your app. if you don't want this, proceed as following

download "slimm bat to exe"

hit "custom"

hit "open batch file"

select your .bat file that you just created

hit Tools>Options

check "Run compiled executable without creating window" then hit close button

hit "build" , give it a name, then save to safe place

then create a shortcut to desktop, go to properties, advanced and check "Run as Admin" (important)

then you can change the shortcut name to your app name and can change its icon to your original app

this way your app will run normally, when you close it host service will be killed automatically.

pros: it works

cons: make separate bat files for every program you want to use. but creating is one time only

0 Likes