cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

GPU driver keeps timing out: "Display driver amdwddmg stopped responding..."

I have 4 displays of various resolutions connected to my graphics card. When using applications with GPU acceleration on multiple screens the driver crashes.

For example, when I have my web browser (Vivaldi) open on my primary display and Windows Task manager open on another display and then move my cursor as I browse, the driver crashes. This happens multiple times a day and sometimes crashes follow each other; so I'll get a crash like 5 seconds after the previous one. I also see visual artifacts when watching YouTube videos. Sometimes videos stop playing and reload and if they don't then the browser tab crashes and I have to reload it.

Other applications that this has happened with include Google Chrome, VS Code, Photoshop, DaVinci Resolve, and File Explorer (especially when transferring files from one folder to another). This happens in games as well.

When looking at the Event Viewer, I see this error "Display driver amdwddmg stopped responding and has successfully recovered" but it doesn't tell me what caused the error.

Here are my specs:

CPU: 5800X
GPU: RX 6800
RAM: 32GB @ 3200Mhz
MOBO: X570 Taichi
PSU: Corsair 750W

I've tried installing older drivers, turning off GPU overclocks, turning off custom PBO settings, reinstalling drivers with DDU, and disabling GPU acceleration on browsers and other software. Nothing worked.

Any help from anyone is appreciated as I'm seriously considering getting an Nvidia card.

88 Replies
Xalareth
Adept I

So i have been having the same problem . i have basically replaced every part of my PC and still having the same issue . the only time it seems to work and stop crashing is when i am using a single monitor and only the one that is HDMI .the display port one still causes it to crash . i am about 6 hours in and no crash with single display

i have also changed tdr delay

changed xmp on and off

stoped windows from updating drivers

i installed new and old drivers with DDu in safe mode

replaced Gpu,motherboard,SSD

Specs are 

GPU asus rog strix 6900xt

CPU5900x

2tb SSD .1tb nvme

32 GB 3600 G.skill ram 

asus rog crosair formula viii

windows 11

only other option is to format and reload into windows 10 .

let me know if you thought of something or found a solution

Have you tried disabling fast startup in Control Panel, Power Options, Choose what the power buttons do, "Change settings that are currently unavailable",  and disable the check on "Turn on fast startup (recommended)".

It has helped me before with random TDRs.

You can alsp try making the delay longer before it crashes: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/registry-fix-for-videotimeoutdetectionandrecov...

By the way, what is your PSU?

0 Likes

Hi don't want to yoink OP's post so will open a new post later and just link it 

Yes i have fast startup dissabled and it still crashed

i did turn it back on  so will try again if it crashes on the single monitor (old  one)

it still crashed on single monitor but only my 144hz using the display port

it has not crashed atoll on the 60hz monitor using the HDMI for like 6 hours so fingers crossed

i am using the Asus Rog Thor 850

wasago
Adept II

Technical question do you have something like this? In device manager your card,event tab.

Device PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_731F&SUBSYS_E4111DA2&REV_CA\6&5738d8c&0&00000019 had a problem starting.

Driver Name: oem13.inf
Class Guid: {4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Service: amdwddmg
Lower Filters:
Upper Filters:
Problem: 0x15
Problem Status: 0x0

0 Likes

Device PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_73AF&SUBSYS_04FC1043&REV_C0\6&2d888e3c&0&00000019 had a problem starting.

Driver Name: oem2.inf
Class Guid: {4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Service: amdwddmg
Lower Filters:
Upper Filters:
Problem: 0x15
Problem Status: 0x0 

logged 2022/02/25 14:26:39

but that was a day ago . i am still getting the crashes today without getting a new one of these 

0 Likes

Hmm many peoples who have problems with amd cards have this error myself included. I comunicate with amd suport now how to resolve this but so far no one knows what causing this i think its some defect in card itself.

0 Likes

thing is i even sent in my card and got a new one and still same problem 

0 Likes

It´ s all about drivers man, i have a similar problem but when a play battlefield 4.

So just letting you all know

i switched out my ram for another i had lying around and the crashes stoped

so it seems like its been faulty ram and not AMD driver .

0 Likes

to whoever said its faulty ram nope ive tried 3 different sets.

exactly having the same issue since I bought 6800XT, swapped RAM, and other ccomponents (motherboard, PSU increased to 1000w), but nothing helped. I have same error in eventlog. I am running 2 monitors (main on displayport, secondary on HDMI). Both monitors freezes during the crash (main with blackscreen or freezed current image, secondary artefacting). Windows continues to run since I am hearing sounds and I am able to comunicate via discord. Tried even ALT+F4 and sometimes I was able to shut down PC depending what was opened (blindly via dead screens). Tried win+ctr+shift+B = I am hearing windows sound that drivers restarted but both displays remaining dead until I completely reset the PC. Tried running only one main display with Displayport (secondary disconnected) but issue was appearing randomly as well. Did not try single monitor on HDMI.

Good day!

This is normal, it means that after installing the video card driver, the PC needed to be restarted and therefore the driver was not immediately launched.

0 Likes
kellar
Adept I

Been having this same issue for over a year now when i try to play any videogame and have firefox open, usually happens when im trying to watch a video.

Think i've tried everything possible, besides changing my CPU (3600x) and GPU (rx560).
My next upgrade is for sure an Nvidia GPU seeing how this is happening cross generations in this thread with AMD GPUs.

Yeah been fighting with this too since the Launch of the 6800 XT, Upgrade my CPU (5950) and RAM (3600 CL14 32GB) and PSU (1000W) same thing. The closest to stability is forcing the max clock to 2290since the Card tends to jump into 2300-2320 even though AMD rates it at around 2000-2200. Always crashes when it goes higher. Still Crashes now just less. No fix, Moving to Nvidia at the next opportunity. This was supposed to be an Upgrade from a 2080 Super (I had zero crashes back then). 

"Been having this same issue for over a year now when i try to play any videogame and have firefox open, usually happens when im trying to watch a video."

Me too ! Firefox + Youtube video only exarcebates the issue, but even without them it still crashes.

High refresh main display connected with DP cable + secondary 60hz with HDMI cable.

0 Likes
MikeRM2
Journeyman III

Which older driver versions did you try on this?  I was having the same issues with 21.9.1 and above.  I reverted to 21.6.2, and for the past two days no issues, with hours of game play on end.

0 Likes

well, i didn´t have the issue anymore. I have latest amd driver recommended 

0 Likes

Hello, I have the same problem with windows reality portal and any amd driver newer than 21.8.2 and a 6900XT (see here https://gpuopen.com/version-table/) with a HP reverb G2, with Win10 and Win11 same behavior. With 21.8.2 no problem at all.

We can see that the version has changed from 27.xx to 30.xx
21.10.2 WHQL 21.30.25.05 30.0.13025.5005 2.0.198
21.10.1 WHQL 21.30.25.01 30.0.13025.1000 2.0.198
21.9.2 Optional 21.30.17.05 30.0.13017.5006 2.0.198
21.9.1 Optional 21.30.17.01 30.0.13017.1004 2.0.198
21.8.2 WHQL 21.20.25.01 27.20.22025.1006 2.0.193

I dont know what has exactly changed between 27 and 30, but something has changed and it brakes the driver...

0 Likes
d3f4uLt
Adept I

I have the same problem, almost identical specs and i already regret not buying an nvidia card. I'm tired of reinstalling drivers everything else works fine. AMD HELP!

I have had the same issue with Sapphire Vega 64, nothing help until I replaced the  Vega 64 with Sapphire 6900XT and Seosonic Taitum 1000 Watts with Corsair 1200i 

MOBO :EVGA X299 DARK 151-SX-E299-KR CPU : Intel Core i9-10900X Skylake-X 10-Core 3.7 GHz LCR :Corsair Hydro Series H80i V2 GPU :SAPPHIRE NITRO+ RX 6900 XT SE MEMORY: CORSAIR Dominator Platinum SE Torque 32GB (4 x 8GB) CMD32GX4M4C3200C14T SSD 01: SAMSUNG 970 PRO M.2 1 TB NVMe PCI-Express 3.0 x4 MZ-V7P512BW SSD 02: SAMSUNG 860 PRO 256GBX2 Raid 0 PSU : Corsair AX1200I 1200 Watts CASE :Thermaltake (Armor+) VH6000SWA SC :Creative Sound Blaster AE-9 5.1 Channels Monitor Acer XR382CQK IPS 3840x1600 @ 75HZ BD Samsung SH-B123L
0 Likes

Ok, an update.. after the desperation, i updated and reupdated everything single thing i could find (even the monitor). After i updated the BIOS from my motherboard that had a new update (ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING WIFI-II) it stopped crashing since i updated it, no more crashed drivers. I'll keep testing it but so for so good.

Glad to hear that @d3f4uLt ,

Cheers

0 Likes

I am up to date with everything as well, in my case driver timeout happens sometimes in once a week sometimes twice a day. Tried every driver since 5/2021. I have sent a report via amd report tool several times, but no feedback...

No Luck, happened a few times after. Even installed the "Pro" drivers. I keep getting a grey screen, computers keeps running, if i wait it shows "Display driver amdwddmg stopped responding...", but nobody got time for that so i just reset.

0 Likes

yeah, the same issue came back this week to me too playing BF4. It´s frustrating because i cant find any solution. 

0 Likes

Hey, seems like i having the same problem since a few months. Since around driver 22.5.1, dont remember the exact driver sadly. Befor that my PC seemed to run stable with no issues, atleast the 60+ hours i played Horizon: Zero Dawn

I am running driver 22.6.1 right now, after uninstalling and reinstalling (with and without DDU in savemode). 

The last two crashes where exactly as others descriped them by moving a running Video/Browserapplication in Chrome from one Monitor to the other. Befor that the crashes appeared by watching an Video in Chrome whilst i was gaming.

Monitors: Asus VG27B 144 Hz DP and Asus VX248 60 Hz HDMI

System:

PowerColor RX 6700 XT Red Devil (running the Silent or OC Bios seems not to change the crashes)

Ryzen 5 5600X Processor

Gigabyte B550 Aorus Motherboard

Corsair Vengance 3600 32GB Dual Sticks

Fractal Desing Ion 850W PSU

0 Likes

Having same issue here, fix it with clean install of windows 21H2 (I was on 22H2), use auto detect from amd site, running 22.6.1 now.  And beat my record on 3dmark, so far everything running smoothly here...

"Monitors: Asus VG27B 144 Hz DP and Asus VX248 60 Hz HDMI"

I have same setup. I will try to unplug the secondary monitor and see what happens.

0 Likes

Just did and it crashed within 10 minutes. It doesn't work on a single monitor either.

0 Likes
Dylo
Journeyman III

Hi. U guys can try this solution

RUN BOX > MS CONFIG > SERVICES > TICK HIDE ALL MICROSOFT/ IF U SEE AMD CRASH DEFENDER SERVICES UNTICK THIS GUY.

0 Likes
cplifj
Elite

Are you all running with vsync on or off in adrenalin ?

It appears that enabling vsync (Always on unless application asks otherwise) in adrenalin has solved it for me.

0 Likes

I am using v Sync in games, in adrenalíne i had default settings (meaning aplication will specify, never tried always on)....now i am testing  drivers without adrenaline software, just plain drivers and it seems freezes significantly reduced but they still apeare randomly...so the problem continues...in driver version 22.10.2 it is envisaged that some driver timeouts should be finaly resolved, so I am curious, will let you know afterwards if 22.10.2 helped

0 Likes
Rospasetä
Journeyman III

I've been this problem now about month or 2, have been tried every advices on this post and others what i've been find. Nothing helped still getting amdwddmg stop working, randomly, sometimes it's working day without crashing. But mostly atleast 1-3 crashes per day or more.

0 Likes
chucky
Adept II

Hey, just wanted to chime in since I have the same problem with my new-ish PC and a Powercolor 6700XT, Dual Monitor setup, both via Displayport.

My PC just turns off the main monitor and freezes the other while browsing or watching Twitch/Youtube or something. I can still hear system sounds and/or the video playing but cant interact in any form and have to shut down via power button. After rebooting the driver seems to be corrupted and I had to reinstall. System events show the same amdwddmg error as OP mentioned.

This happens in seemingly random intervalls. Between the first and second freeze where a couple of weeks, now it happened 2 days in a row. I tried so far:

- completely removing drivers with DDU and reinstalling

- updating BIOS and all drivers

- running SFC /scannow

- disabling the AMD Crash Defender Services

Next I will look into turning on VSync, although I dont think that will heIp since it only happened in Desktop / low Power mode and not while gaming. Also looking into tinkering with my RAM, but replacing those doesnt sound like a good solution to me. Will report back if anything helps, but it honestly would be great to hear anything official from AMD since this seems to be a driver problem.

Full PC specs:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
X570S AORUS ELITE AX
12GB PowerColor Radeon RX 6700 XT Red Devil 12GB
32GB (2x 16GB) G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600
1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 2280 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe 1.3
Sharkoon SilentStorm Cool Zero 850W

0 Likes

Just to let you know, as you have exactly the same problem (slight difference I am running 1 hdmi and 1 display port, and it is happening to me also during gameplay, but not with each game), short update.... I tried to DISABLE HARDWARE ACCELARION in my browser and in my discord and it seems to help.....but still I dont have enough long track record with this fix to claim it is a final solution... Please try it and let me know....

0 Likes

I disabled hardware acc in firefox too, but that doesn't help.

0 Likes

I have no issues while on desktop. My crashes/timeouts happen exclusevely while gaming.

0 Likes

Are you running with AMD Radeon software or without it (plain drivers) ? I was able to reduce crashes by installing just plain drivers (no additional radeon software)...

0 Likes
milanamd
Adept II

I have the same problem and I can tell you what caused it. RX 6000 GPU. I have RX6700XT and ever since I installed it in my system it's been crash town 24/7.

AMD are supposedly going to address this issue with driver 22.10.2, but that remains to be seen. Personally I'm not very optimistic.

0 Likes