cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Gaming on Linux in August 2018. Any user feedback from owners of R9 FuryX/Nano/Fury/Vega cards?

Hello,

I am almost completely migrated over Linux as my main OS now. I have grown tired of Microsoft OS since Windows 10 launch.
Windows 7 64bit support ends completely on 14 Jan 2020. AMD provide no new Windows 8.1 64bit Drivers for my cards, even though Microsoft support ends on 20 Jan 2023.

I am running Linux versions are Ubuntu 18.04 and 16.04 LTS for general use.
I also run Centos for testing and Fedora to test newest Linux features.

One thing I need to get more experience with is Gaming on Linux.

So far I have tried a number of Steam titles on Linux, there are an increasing number of games already available for Linux on Steam.
However some games crash out on me with latest AMDGPU/Pro drivers and Vulkan.

I thought the following Videos may be interesting to some people considering a move to Linux from Windows:

This Video is a good starting point:

Gaming on Linux - With WENDELL from Level1Techs! - YouTube

These videos from Wendell of Level1Techs go into more detail:

Linux Gaming: Natively (part 1 of 4) - YouTube

Linux Gaming: DXVK, Wine, and Lutris (Part 2 of 4) - YouTube

There are another two videos in this series to be released in future.

Here is a link to Lutris: Lutris - Open Gaming Platform

I am currently running R9 FuryX/Nano/Fury Cards.
I am still considering purchase of a PowerColor  RX Vega 56 Red Dragon, if I can get one cheaply enough.

Does anyone out there with R9 FuryX/Nano/Fury/Vega Cards have any experience running Steam games on Ubuntu 16.04/18.04LTS on  Wine, Lutris? with latest AMDGPU/Pro drivers?
Is it worth it or should I just create a Virtual Windows 10 Machine on Linux and use PCIe Passthrough for the GPU?

Thanks.

0 Likes
0 Replies