cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

brunhildjr2
Adept II

FreeSync will not engage after monitor enters LFC state

Trying to troubleshoot the way some games look when they run at maybe 70-90 fps I ran into threads describing how to modify the freesync range.So i increased mine from 44 to 71. Games seem to look way way better not sure why yet, assume the monitor screws up when it runs at lower Hz like 45-55

Now what happens is that i realized my monitor will not switch back to freesync mode after it hits the value stated for LFC (low framerate compensation) until the FPS will shoot back to around 10 more fps without going back to the lower end soon enough. Testing this with the G-SYNC Pendulum Demo is very easy to observe: when setting a fps range of 60-85 for example the monitor will only run in LFC all the time (showing 120 Hz -130 Hz etc etc so its basically just doubling the game FPS say 60 and run at 120 then double 65 and run at 130). When the FPS goes into 80 fps- 85 fps it shoots to 144 Hz and is stuck there a bit then back into LFC, at no time will run at 80Hz, 85Hz etc. What's even worse, when setting a range of 76-90 the monitor is stuck at 144 Hz all the time, i assume the algorithm does not want to go in and out of this state maybe.

So is this maybe something that is expected or do i have maybe a monitor with issues or a combination of monitor drivers. Can I do anything about this?

Not even disabling LFC will help, When I set it a range of 73-144Hz, basically ensuring LFC will never be triggered I get a similar behaviour, when going around 72-73 fps the monitor will shoot to 144 Hz and will not enter FreeSync operation until it will stabilize into a 80-90 fps . Basically seems running a game that dips into 70 fps will screw me over no matter what I do.

Monitor Asus VG 278Q

GPU Radeon Saphire RX 580 nitro 8G

Radeon Software 17.7.1

Thanks for reading this any helps / ideas appreciated

0 Likes
0 Replies