cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

ADyingGod
Adept I

Fallout 3 & New Vegas Crashes on 24.1.1

I'm unable to play Fallout 3 and New Vegas. I can't even load a save or start a new game. Instant crash to desktop and removing all the mods, tweaks, INI settings or having the game in its vanilla state doesn't seem to have any effect. Rolling back to previous version solves the problem but I don't plan to stick with older drivers just to play a 13 years old game. Any solution to this problem in the next release would be appreciated. I have a 6750 XT. I'm enjoying to overall experience but these minor things adds up.

90 Replies
DaGroomster
Journeyman III

Same here, been pulling my hair out to figure out if it was my mods or something else.

Pretty much carried out the same steps as yourself, full reinstall of the game. Starts up fine, the moment you try to load or start a new game, intro will play, then when you get the the loading screen it lasts for about 2 seconds then crashes.

7900 XTX here.

Sad to see I'm not alone, but there is some comfort in that haha!

Worst thing about this whole ordeal is I had a pretty crowded mod base for my Tale of Two Wastelands installation. You know, the thing that merges Fallout 3 and New Vegas together. I basically nuked the whole thing in order to identify the problem. Well, I did, and I still can't play it. Let's hope for a swift and smooth solution. I'd make a joke about 7900 XTX not being enough to handle a game like New Vegas but I'd imagine it wouldn't be a very original one. Cheers!

ImDeadSpace
Adept I

Well, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one having this happen. At least now I don't feel so cursed. Vanilla games wouldn't work so I went the TTW route thinking that would fix. It didn't. I tried so many different things for hours on end to figure out what was going on to no avail. I can load up into the main menu but as soon as I try to load in or start a new game it crashes to desktop after about 2 seconds of loading. On a 6950 XT. 

LionTuga
Journeyman III

I have the exact same issue on a 6700 XT and Windows 10. I installed Linux and Steam on a pen drive and Fallout: New Vegas runs fine on it, FWIW.

At least there's an alternative solution for people that could want to go into this route. Always good to know. Thanks for the suggestion.

You need to roll back your drivers to a 23.x.x pre 24.x.x. It looks like just general driver degradation which is very sad to see because I don't want to have to roll back my drivers every time I want to play one of my favorite games ever (New Vegas). Please fix this AMD!

Grimace1918
Adept I

Bumping This so AMD can fix this major issue making beloved Fallout New Vegas completely unplayable.

Okri
Journeyman III

Thank you for bringing this up. I started questioning my sanity after so many reinstalls. Hopefully this is fixed relatively soon. RX 7800XT / Ryzen 5600

Bump for more visibility.

You're telling me. I searched for so many solutions and tried many of them. Trying to stabilize New Vegas was painful enough. I didn't expect my drivers to cause extra issues.

brybry22
Adept I

Created an account just to say that I am facing the same exact issue. AMD please fix this as soon as possible!!!!

Same here. Having issues not being able to launch new game.

Update:
Hey guys, I found a fix. 

The fix is easy. Just grab DXVK and run the game in Windowed mode. If you do not run it Windowed, the game will be extremely extremely laggy

However, some might find that Windowed mode does not provide full resolution. To fix this, just run bethINI and set your settings there. Make sure to tick "windowed mode".

Done! Let me know if you guys have any questions

i might just be an idiot but im not sure im installing it right and i cant find anything telling me where it goes in the files and if it has to be extracted or if it can even be in a folder at all

0 Likes

Not an idiot... I also could not get it working, but i've done a fair bit of modding over the years.

0 Likes
brybry22
Adept I

Update:
Hey guys, I found a fix. 

The fix is easy. Just grab DXVK and run the game in Windowed mode. If you do not run it Windowed, the game will be extremely extremely laggy

However, some might find that Windowed mode does not provide full resolution. To fix this, just run bethINI and set your settings there. Make sure to tick "windowed mode".

Done! Let me know if you guys have any questions

What is DXVK?

Do a simple Google search on "DXVK Fallout NV" or "Fallout 3"

It should be extremely easy to install. 

After installing, I havent had any issues and have been playing fine. 

Do give it a try and let me know!

0 Likes

It worked thanks

0 Likes

This doesn't work.

Ryzen 7 7800X3D

Radeon RX 7800XT Nitro

How to make it work???

0 Likes

It is Ok as a workaround, but a decent solution still has to come from AMD. They broke compatibility in their latest released drivers. NVIDIA latest drivers will run fallout 3 and NV with no issues.

AMD team, can you please fix it.

That's for sure. But if you are looking to play the game right now, this is an immediate solution. 

backFireX64
Forerunner

Having the same issue in fallout new vegas. Crashes in loading screen after starting a new game. I'm on windows 11 23H2 and using an RX 6900 XT on latest 24.2.1 whql driver.

cubblesnarf
Journeyman III

Purchased a new RX 6650 XT a few weeks ago that runs all my other games just fine.  EXCEPT for FO3 & NV!  Same issue as those above.  Get to the loading screen and Crash To Desktop when continuing, loading a save, or starting a new one.  I just switched from the green team(1060 3gb).  I really hope the next driver release fixes this issue.

0 Likes
Saari
Adept I

Same here 24.2.1

Ravayak
Adept I

Same here 24.2.1 and roll back to old driver don't fix the problem (Multisampling transparancy is broken and frame drop and flickering happens randomly).

No DXVK is not a fix !!!

impossible to play fullscreen with it and even in windowed mode there is to much visual glitch and stuttering.

But i found a way to play perfectly (even TMSAA is Working properly)

Basicaly AMD version of dx9 Drivers is broken so we need to inject an old one with special info (Gpu info) to fake the Detection of the GPU by the game. Like that Fallout 3 / Fallout NV engine will setup the rendering mode correctly and configure FaceGen (it's the thrid  party tool used for the faces of the PNJ ) properly.

Here's the links to an old fix that's worked like a charms :

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/34970 

You can still make your own DLL with the right info of your card like i've done but for the non-dev it's not that easy so juste use that file instead.

Sory for my english it's not my native language.

0 Likes

After Playing for a while 20-30min Choppy Framerate / Flickering objects and world building.

Also using VATS result in  a black Screen.

So Sorry guys still not a proper fix...

0 Likes

Neither the one you linked, nor the DXVK - https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/79299 - have worked for me -- 24.2.1 on a 7900xtx

Tried fullscreen, windowed, bethini modded ini files.. the works.

Qoojo
Miniboss

I reinstalled steam version this morning to different drive. I tried dxvk fullscreen, but too laggy so i removed it.

If you go to steam forum for FO:NV, there is a sticky post for stability and anti-crashing. I installed "New Vegas Script Extender" and the "anti crash" mods. I ran it from steam, and it worked, which I think ironically does not actually use the mods. So I ran it from the NV script launcher for steam and it continued to work.

I can't say how long it will work as it was only a short test. Prior to this, the game would crash would loading a save. I have a 7900 xtx.

0 Likes
Grimace1918
Adept I

Bumping to see if anyone has tried Fallout New Vegas on the new driver 24.3.1?

0 Likes

Installing the driver now.. will let ya know.

0 Likes
aggietallboy
Adept I

Initial indications are NO.. 24.3.1 didn't help, same crash as soon as it comes out of the intro.

0 Likes
backFireX64
Forerunner

Same issue with 24.3.1 whql driver. Both fallout 3 and new vegas crash on desktop after starting new game.

I guess i'll send another bug report to AMD..

0 Likes
Saari
Adept I

Maybe try this, it works for F3 and NV

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/79299?tab=description

0 Likes

might be the AI frame generation does not work with it.

also the v-sync linked to frame rate might be a factor.

0 Likes

Still no fix on 24.3.1 :)))))) What annoys me most is it's still not even listed as a known issue in the report note

sevenmod
Adept I

Same issue. New Vegas. Latest drivers 24.3.1, 7700X / 7900XTX

It took me and hour or so of trying to figure out the problem thinking it might be related to the mods, but doesn't work without any mods either, the game crashes on both 'load' and 'new game' after the intro video before you get into the game.

I played the game in March/April last year with whatever the latest driver was at the time with no issues.

Please fix this!

mrthunderbird
Journeyman III

I'm having this same issue, rolling back to driver version 23.12.1 fixes it, but causes issues with other games that require driver version 24.

To anyone who finds this forum, please submit a bug report using AMD's tool so we can the issue addressed!

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/amdbrt

Done. I can't wait to be able to play these games again in like 7 months from now since I'm not rolling back drivers. Lets gooo. 

0 Likes
Userusing
Journeyman III

thought it was fixed and dont know how to delete this comment

0 Likes