cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Ocelot79
Journeyman III

Driver timeouts - RX570, v.21.5.1. Gaming setting to blame?

I've been having weird driver timeouts (2-3 second black screens) when browsing the internet and watching videos, and sometimes the computer will completely freeze when playing a game, requiring a manual reboot. This issue has been present with 21.5.1 and with the previous driver. When timeouts occur, the AMD Radeon Software program usually fails to open afterwards. Timeouts and freezes almost always happen shortly after booting the system. I also have Discord.exe open which AFAIK uses hardware acceleration.

Could this be caused by the "Gaming" setting in the global graphics settings in AMD Radeon Software? If so, why? I've noticed that when disabling it, no further timeouts will occur, but I'm not sure if that's the cause.

I've also noticed a couple of times that this "Gaming" setting doesn't work because image sharpening is absent on games even though the setting is on (and the games are compatible with sharpening).

I've ran stress tests to check that it's not my card itself failing and no problems were reported.

Anything else I can do? I would rollback but I've experienced the same issues with the previous driver as well. 

Thank you in advance.

12 Replies
Jay_S
Adept I

I got the same exact issue. However, my blackouts are not for 2-3 sec. It's always freeze first, followed by a black screen with the fans going 100%. After rebooting, I get the 'Driver timeout' message too.

I had the least issue's after installing just the driver without the Adrenalin UI.

Also RX570 here.

Suinollat
Journeyman III

Same thing happening here, I normally get the blank screen for 2-3 seconds, and sometimes it's permanent, requiring me to also manually reboot the computer. I get these on a regular basis and it is almost impossible to use my computer. I've reinstalled drivers, I've uninstalled drivers in safe mode, then reinstalled them, nothing worked. All my settings are default, normal clock speeds, and I also tried both with stock fan settings, and my own custom fan curve to keep the GPU very cool. Nothing works and I am very disappointed with this. It hasn't been a problem until late very late 2020 to now.

EDIT: A couple minutes after posting I had read the title again, my card is an RX580 and I'm still getting the same issues...

zeneleven
Journeyman III

Looks like AMD doesnt give a **bleep** about this, I also experience this freezing and black screen since the update 21.4.1, and I think this ruins the GPU. Its killing the GPU. Ive done many reformats already, I havent installed another AMD radeon software because its the reason. Now, I'm still having freezes and black screen even without the driver. Looks like they intentionally did this. **bleep** this, I'm really pissed.

It also ruins your SSD(s). Because the PC freezes, you're forced to do a hard reboot. Because of that, you get a POR-count, a count of the number of sudden power off cases. If there is a sudden power off, the firmware must recover all of the mapping and user data during the next power on. 

Basically, all this freezing is very bad for the computer since it affects not just the GPU, but other parts as well. I've been contemplating to switching to Nvidia this entire time considering my identical 2nd build, has an GTX1660 Super instead of an RX570. The specs of that system are identical to my RX570 system and that one till this day has had zero crashes and/or freezes.

It really is weird since I've used this RX570 for over a year, 100% problem free. No crashing, no freezing. It was just, perfect. But just one day after an Adrenalin Update this garbage started happening. I sincerely hope AMD can get this fixed soon!

True JayS

I experienced what other users describe , blackscreens, peakdrops, freezes, timeups, full constant charge at idle and so many scary things happen since I tried this update on MSI armor RX570 4GB.

Now whatever the version i downgrade (21.3.1 / 21.2.2 / 20.11.2) i have some driver issues that i had not before, despite a clean install.

Trying to open AMD Software became impossible .

I suspect new driver could have damaged hardware and have driven it near the end of life. Hope thats not the case but after so much tries i begin to think same. And i dont want to talk with people who aim PSU fails because its a fresh 650W Seasonic Gold that work like a charm and enough for my setup, even if it would have been overclocked

Any news about this? I still get display blackouts sometimes, usually just during watching youtube and during video calls. I dont understand. Anyone tried the latest update? All of you here still have AMD software installed?

Now, I dont have AMD software installed, but still get blackouts. So, im thinking installing the software anyways. Any advice? TIA

hi there

after doing bunch of DDU uninstalls and AMD cleanup utility , reboots, tried many AMD install versions unstable, i tried to not install anything.

Maybe a AMD automatic update from windows update could be the trouble because i tried without AMD display updates after reboot and have no issue (but no drivers...) then when i let windows update AMD components, but without AMD Software and drivers installed, troubles come on (mouse freeze, windows freeze, while short time , but can do basic things). Have also errors displayed from rivatuner (because no AMD drivers installed and windows asking for reboot due to material change)

But if i try to install AMD Software, messy issues come back (timeouts, blackscreens, freezes, games crash, AMD software display issues, wattman reinitialized, 100% usage cpu idle and more ...)

Whats wrong with this support? Why AMD staff does not come help us to resolve these annoying things? I lose my patience and pretty sure i will go on Nvidia stuff next these AMD experience

0 Likes
thehumanorange72
Journeyman III

I have RX560X and had no problems until about 2 weeks ago when I used the "auto-detect" tool to update my drivers. I got screen freezes and required manual reboots, sometimes 4 or 5 times in a row, happening daily. Performed a full factory reset and have changed boot up process. Seems to be a bit more OK but I am now conscious not to do too much at one time whilst testing it out, which is **bleep**. 

Now trying to work out how to update my drivers - not sure I trust the AMD auto-detect tool anymore.   

hey mates , i found why it didnt work for me! maybe is a track for you

I noticed i had some PCI encoder/decoder driver missing in windows device manager (yellow triangle) after DDU cleaning and AMD cleanup utility, so i had to reinstall AMD chipset drivers. So far its logical.

But for an unknown reason, AMD chipset drivers didnt reinstall properly . When i launch it with MSI Live Update, even in admin mode, it told me first my material was not compatible . Then, when launching without AMD drivers installed, it said "installed" but it was not really. That took 3seconds installation so i guessed it was failing despite "installed" displayed.

So i relaunched AMD chipset drivers from Device Manager > choose driver manually > point AMD folder, just after i reinstalled 24.3.1 who was as everytime messy (timeout, freeze and some crappy things) and all is reworking fine now. I replayed my games this morning without any issue... until next time lol

So check if you have to reinstall Chipset drivers for your MotherBoard if you have to deal with buggy Adrenaline drivers, this could be the trouble

0 Likes

Cant edit my post but problems came back after 2 days.

I was playing tekken , then unreal engine crashed with D3D error , and computer became unstable one more time. Back to the starting point with timeouts and blackscreens.

Uninstalled with AMD cleaner and DDU, then installed AMD chipset , until there everything is fine, but when installing AMD Software or only drivers, computer becomes buggy, messy ... Freezes, timeouts...

So bored of AMD stuff and unseen AMD staff to help us.

My card will be sold and next time i go for Nvidia stuff without hesitate.

0 Likes

now i have relaunched AMD Software but cancelled it after extracting files.

I did same procedure as past:

-Extracting files from AMD Software

-Cancel the AMD install

-Go to device manager, point graphic card,  install manually drivers from extracting files (C:/AMD folder) .

-Restart computer

Now i dont have anymore timeouts and freezes, drivers installed, but no adrenalin software. I think i'm going to reinstall Afterburner because I need to control the fanspeed curve but no need of the buggy software from AMD that render computer unusable and potentially dangerous for hardware

Edit : freeze came again , game crash...

0 Likes

Hi, 

I have the same problem.

I try to use the old driver version and can't play for more than 5-7 minutes.

so I remove all AMD software with DDU or AMD cleanup utility.

and let windows detect and update drivers.

now my RX 570 use Driver Version 27.20.1034.6 (Date 21/8/2010)

The only AMD app on my PC is AMD Ryzen Master SDK.

I can play AC Odyssey with a High setting for more than 5 hours without any problem.

still waiting for the AMD team to fix this problem.