cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

sunToxx
Adept I

Driver crashes since upgrade from RX 5700 to RX 6800

One of our PCs is now crashing a lot, but only while on desktop. It never happens while gaming. It is a Win11 system, the RX6800 replaced a RX 5700. It has a R5 3600 cpu, Asus Prime X570-P mainboard, 16Gb RAM. Reinstalled the latest gpu driver already, wiping all old settings. Didnt have the problem before swapping GPUs. Any ideas?

0 Likes
3 Replies
MADZyren
Paragon

Disable automatic driver update from Windows 11 update settings

Install latest chipset driver from amd.com 

Use DDU to uninstall remains of current and previous graphics drivers (run it at safe mode) and then reinstall driver from amd.com 

maybe check Windows advanced power settings and disable power saving features related to GPU and PCIe.

What is your PSUs brand, model and age?

0 Likes
sunToxx
Adept I

Why do you ask for the PSU when the crashes only occur on desktop, but never ingame? It's a 500 Watts or so bequiet. (I am running a 7900 XT on a 600 Watts bequiet btw, without any problems. High watt recommendations are just for cheap PSUs)

Will the chipset driver from AMD replace the Asus chipset driver?

DDU seems a bit overkill, as the prior gpu was also AMD, but might be worth a shot. Powersaving is not very likely, as it always happens while she is doing something, like browsing, writing, fotos etc.

0 Likes

"Why do you ask for the PSU"

It might still be a poorly functioning PSU.

"High watt recommendations are just for cheap PSUs"

Perhaps, but the closer to maximum you stress your PSU, the hotter the capacitors are and the shorter their life. I tend to get overly powerful PSUs and only use models tested by some independent site so I know they are good ones with low ripple, stable power delivery aso. BeQuiets are ok, but do not usually really excel in tests.

"Will the chipset driver from AMD replace the Asus chipset driver?"

It should. Basically driver from Asus is likely just an older AMD driver that might have some Asus branding and maybe they added something or removed something. Usually they are just older and thus recommended to use the ones straight from chipsets designer/maker (AMD in this case)

"DDU seems a bit overkill, as the prior gpu was also AMD"

Not necessarily as drivers do detect which GPU is installed and different models could perhaps have for instance different registry keys due to different feature sets and whatnot.

"Powersaving is not very likely, as it always happens while she is doing something, like browsing, writing, fotos etc."

What I was after was, if computer notices it is not used heavily, it might kick in some power saving features and/or lower voltage to some parts and cause the issue, especially if PSU doesn't work well with power saving features. It is a bit difficult to explain what I mean with limited English skills.

0 Likes