cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

stan
Elite

[DPC_Watchdog_Violation][amdkmdag.sys][RX 7900 XTX/XT] Discussion Thread

Key world: system random freeze, BSOD, DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133),  0x00000133, amdkmdag.sys,  The DPC watchdog detected a prolonged run time at an IRQL of DISPATCH_LEVEL, ntoskrnl.exe+428700, 7900 XTX, XT 

Not fixed in latest Adrenalin 23.2.1

Not fixed in Adrenalin 22.12.2, 23.1.1, 23.1.2

Hi all, since many people used 7900XTX/XT have this BSOD issue, and this is not easy to figure out, i decide to create this discussion thread,

if you have this problem, please help to report here.

dpccc.png

You may encounter this BSOD when used edge/chrome or play games.

My situation is when i play some games i will get this BSOD, some people have this BSOD when used edge or chrome.

7900 XTX/XT users, please follow this thread to verify your BSOD dump, make sure the DPC_Watchdog_Violation

is caused by amdkmdag.sys

[DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION] RX 7900 XTX/XT User if you encounter this BSOD, disable FreeSync.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/10aumlr/dpc_watchdog_violation_rx_7900_xtxxt_user_if_you/

The temporary workaround :

1. Disable Freesync or Adaptive-Sync from AMD driver and disable VRR from Windows Graphics Settings if you have random freeze when play games or whatever.

2. If you have this issue when used chrome or edge, try to disable Hardware Accelerate in Browser.

Thanks very much.

If you are used 7900 XTX/XT and have the same BSOD issue.

Please help to  provide your PC setup/Monitor spec/connection type and let AMD engineer to analyze or reproduce.

PC Setup:

CPU: Intel i7-13700K

GPU: Sapphire R9 7900 XTX (MBA)

MB: Gigabyte Z690 AORUS Elite AX DDR4 w/ F22 BIOS

RAM: 4*8GB DDR4-3200 14-14-14-34

PSU: ASUS Thor 850W

Monitor: Alienware AW3821DW (G-Sync Ultimate) with DP 3840*1600@120hz@10bit

I collect same issues from internet, all of them used 7900 XTX/XT

7900 XTX/XT user Report from Internet  (AMD/Microsoft/Reddit/ community):

(You can reference this reddit thread to extract your BSOD dump to verify if this bsod is caused by amdkmdag.sys)

[DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION] RX 7900 XTX/XT User if you encounter this BSOD, disable FreeSync.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/10aumlr/dpc_watchdog_violation_rx_7900_xtxxt_user_if_you/

DPC_Watchdog_Violation

https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/11282zj/dpc_watchdog_violation/j8pb92a/?context=3

ntoskrnl.exe 428700 and 010523-10015-01.dmp 123122-9312-01.dmp

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ntoskrnlexe-428700-and-010523-10015-01dmp-1231...

BlueScreen DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION 0x00000133 00000000`00000001 , freeze and after 30 Secounds the BOD comes.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bluescreen-dpcwatchdogviolation-0x00000133/fa1...

Random freeze then bluescreens error DPC watchdog violation

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/random-freeze-then-bluescreens-error-dpc-watch...

For RX 7900 Series driver with refresh rates above 60 hz may cause BSOD

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/for-rx-7900-series-driver-with-refresh-rates-above-60-hz-may-cause...

7900xt DPC_Watchdog_Violation BSOD

https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics/7900-xtx-freezing-and-bluescreens-after-30-secounds/m-p/571413...

7900 XTX freezing and Bluescreens after 30 secounds

https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics/7900-xtx-freezing-and-bluescreens-after-30-secounds/m-p/571413...

7900 XT Intermittent freezing

https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics/7900-xt-intermittent-freezing/m-p/570824#M92623

7900 XTX 와 FreeSync 상태에서 60Hz+ 동시 사용시 문제   dpc watchdog violation

https://quasarzone.com/bbs/qf_vga/views/5532370

1 Solution
stan
Elite

AMD release new driver (23.3.1) to fix this issue:

However, some monitor with 7900XTX/XT still have this issue!!
Not fix totally.
Please follow here, if you install 23.3.1 and still have BSOD problem.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
79 Replies

mate its not just AMD over time they all have their issues. The key is after something like this is identified, AMD have acknowledged it and they are working on it. Thats good news.

0 Likes
wah123
Adept I

I just recently encountered this issue and glad that i am not the only one because i am freaking out that i thought that my 7900XT is dying / faulty

I don't have any BSOD, it just stutter a bit and freeze the entire system, and i can still hear the bgm of the game that i am playing on albeit stuttery and no interaction is possible, had to restart by holding the power button.

Happen to me when alt tabbing randomly while playing Monster Hunter Rise on Fullscreen (Borderless Windowed has no problem but the game like to set itself back to fullscreen)

Consistently happen by going into option from main menu in atelier rorona ( I use this game for testing ever since i encountered the crash, and found that limiting to 144hz is workaround that still let you keep freesync coincidentaly by myself)

• GPU: 7900XT Sapphire Reference
  • CPU: 7 7700x
  • Board: Asrock b550itx PG
  • Monitor: Gigabyte m27q connected via DP

Hello, you probably didn't bdso because you don't wait long enough to see it on the screen.
If I may ask would you be so kind as to tell me the refresh rate parameters by going into the software andrenalin- screen- display specs? It should be a number with 143. 3 more numbers or 169. if you set 170 hz.
Thank you very much.

0 Likes
music23
Journeyman III

I had seen this on the internet on how to fix dpc watchdog violation in windows 10/11 . This solved my problem.

0 Likes
stan
Elite

Update: 

Add new temporary (3)  workaround:

1. Disable Freesync or Adaptive-Sync from AMD driver and disable VRR from Windows Graphics Settings if you have random freeze when play games or whatever.

2. If you have this issue when used chrome or edge, try to disable Hardware Accelerate in Browser.

3. Disable FreeSync from Monitor.

Reference:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/10aumlr/comment/jaxas07/?context=3

digitalpeer
Adept I

5800x powercolor 7900xtx red devil OC, win 11, gigabyte Aorus 165hz screen DP1.4 8k cable

same issues as noted for all. hard freeze on windows boot login screen, etc.

Currently using work around with 23.2.2 drivers with adaptive sync turned off in monitor menu, swapped to HDMI cable, all freesync adaptive sync options turned off, 120hz selected in windows system (not VRR options available). currently fully operational without freezes.

0 Likes
Nostras
Adept I

Hi folks, same issue here. 7900XTX Hellhound + VG27AQ. There are some noticeable workarounds however.

Simply downgrading to 23.1.1 resolves the issue for me, but this has some serious demerits as well.

Another solution has to do with when this occurs. I get this problem in 2 scenario's:

- The PC boots with the DP cable and VG27AQ + Freesync

- The VG27AQ + Freesync is the only display connected

If I boot with only my secondary monitor attached and after boot plug in the DP cable all is well until I do either of above.

Would be nice if AMD could fix it though...

I was thinking about downgrading to 23.1.1 again since it's by far the most stable version because the only thing that was giving BSOD was the FreeSync and all I had to do was to disable it, but then you mentioned some "serious demerits" that comes by downgrading, do you mind listing some of it? 

If these demerits are not as bad as I thought I'd probably downgrade instantly, since the newer drivers' BSOD problem is just mindboggling even with the FreeSync disabled. Thanks in advance.

0 Likes

Probably the list of changes in the two drivers released which you can find here:

https://community.amd.com/t5/knowledge-base/tkb-p/knowledgebase-tkb

You can browse and see if any of the changes are important for your usage.

Oh I've read the release notes before and I found nothing that's too profound/impactful that it outweighs the sheer amount of BSOD I got after I updated my driver from 1.1 to 2.3 a week ago. Thanks for the advice, and BTW I've just finished the downgrade. Everything runs like butter again. Could probably be a safe choice for anyone who's having instability issues with the 2.3.

0 Likes

Qoojo already described it well, but for me it's primarily about the Space Engine fix. I decided to just drop the game for now.

0 Likes
digitalpeer
Adept I

Does anyone have Quest 2? im also experiencing an issue with quest 2 while using the work around.

0 Likes
Qoojo
Miniboss

Try out 23.3.1. This looks like the issue should be fixed.

"Intermittent driver timeout, system freeze or BSOD may be observed using select displays on Radeon™ RX 7000 series GPUs."

It does fix it for me at least. At last.

Tryed the new drivers today, everything is working so far - issues fixed.

Thanks AMD!

0 Likes
Lowiick
Adept I

The 23.3.1 is the good one for me. I can now activate FreeSync without struggling against these erratic BSOD.

Nice I can now use my high refresh rate monitor at 165 Hz as it used to be before. (Apex, Valorant : I am coming back!)

I hope to not to be the only one, facing to this great improvement.
So give it a try, it can be the Adrenalin display driver that you waited for during these last weeks.

Reminder : my setup and especially my monitor:

PC Setup:

- CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
   - GPU: Sapphire NITRO+ RX 7900 XT Vapor-X 20GB
   - MB: Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII / 5003 BIOS
   - RAM: 32GB (2*16GB DDR4-3600 16-16-16-36)
   - PSU: Seasonic Prime TX-750 (750W - Titanium)

Monitor: Dell S2721DGFA (G-Sync + AMD FreeSync Premium Pro) with DP 2560*1440@165hz@10bit
The NA model is Dell S2721DGF / European market use the DGFA. Both are the same.

0 Likes
Lowiick
Adept I

The latest display driver 23.3.1 is the good one for me. I can now activate FreeSync without struggling against these erratic BSOD.

Nice I can now use my high refresh rate monitor at 165 Hz as it used to be before. (Apex, Valorant : I am coming back!)

So give it a try, it can be the Adrenalin display driver that you waited for during these last weeks.

Reminder : my setup and especially my monitor:

PC Setup:

- CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  - GPU: Sapphire NITRO+ RX 7900 XT Vapor-X 20GB
  - MB: Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII / 5003 BIOS
  - RAM: 32GB (2*16GB DDR4-3600 16-16-16-36)
  - PSU: Seasonic Prime TX-750 (750W - Titanium)

- Monitor: Dell S2721DGFA (G-Sync + AMD FreeSync Premium Pro) with DP 2560*1440@165hz@10bit
  - The NA model is Dell S2721DGF / European market use the DGFA. Both are the same.

Lowiick
Adept I

The latest display driver 23.3.1 is the good one for me. I can now activate FreeSync without struggling against these erratic BSOD.

Monitor: Dell S2721DGFA (G-Sync + AMD FreeSync Premium Pro) with DP 2560*1440@165hz@10bit
The NA model is Dell S2721DGF / European market use the DGFA. Both are the same.

I hope this one will work well for me to.

Will try them out tomorrow.

I think Dell messed up the EDIDs for their monitors, because a lot of people with these issues had Dell monitors, myself included. NVidia made the adjustment, but AMD did not, at least for the latest GPU family.

0 Likes

Not especially, they were a lot other brands that exhibits this issues (Asus, Cooler Master, AOC....etc).

The most concerned monitors by this issue were those which were able to use a refresh rate higher than 144 hz.

High refresh rate are managed with DisplayID 2.0 in replacement of the old fashion EDID format.
As AMD has rewritten their drivers for RX 7000 series, they may have missed out some cases for monitors with specific specifications.

But now it is behind us, it is working now! (happy)

0 Likes

Same here! With the previous drivers I couldn't even sign into Windows but now everything appears to be fine. It is indeed nice we can actually play are games again on the latest drivers with a high refresh rate.

PS: My monitor is the AOC AGON AG275QX/EU (European variant).

iotacode
Adept I

This is good news!

I will give it try. Thank you AMD and everyone here!

0 Likes
digitalpeer
Adept I

Im back into full functionality with new drivers.

gigabyte 165hz powercolor red devil DP1.2

thanks AMD

stan
Elite

My watch is ended.

Thanks all of you

It's glad to see AMD fix some problem with FreeSync + select displays + 7900 XTX/XT.

And many people report the driver 23.3.1 is worked.

However, after a one night test, Unfortunately my moniter (AW3821DW have G-SyncV2 module)  cannot work fine with this 23.3.1 driver.

The problem is same, system freeze when i launch some games and i observed when the fps drop to 10~20 or even low range, my system freeze and than system reboot.

It seems 7900XTX with G-Sync "Ultimate" Display (have G-sync moduleV2) can not work together when enable FreeSync (Adaptive-Sync).

I search on Google, it seems i can used CRU (Custom Resolution Utility) to modify the minimize FreeSync range BUT CRU can not work on RX 7900 XTX/XT, and the author of CRU said it should be fix by AMD.

https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU?pid=14240#pid14240
=========================================================================
ToastyX (CRU Author):

Report EDID overrides not working with RX 7900 GPUs to AMD using their bug report tool: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/amdbrt

Check if toggling GPU scaling in AMD's software causes the EDID override to load.

========================================================================

I dont know which is the correct way for AMD when user used G-Sync Ultimate Moniter with AMD GPU, maybe driver should handle this problem auto so i dont' need to used CRU to modify anything

And for those who used G-sync Ultimate Display with 7900XTX/XT, please leave reply, let me know im not alone.

Thanks!

Yes, I have same monitor but no longer have 7900 xtx because i would rather have gsync/freesync with slower gpu.

It's very common issue for Dell monitors with gsync when i was googling for solution, and yes, AMD 7900 series does not do EDID overrides.

Thank you very much!

I think i will create new post to track this issue.

0 Likes

Thank you very much.

I can reproduce by myself, and after more test,

this issue is not related to adaptive sync range!

I download freesync demo, it can lower to 10 fps without any issue and I check vrr is worked.

But when launch some games, it crash immediately and I get BSOD.

Will update more info later.

0 Likes

Btw, we have the same Z690 chipset and CPU too. But I am using DDR5.

0 Likes
Qoojo
Miniboss

Great job providing enough specifics and details to get AMD to focus on it or at least reply.

rekoj
Adept II

So i was having this BSOD (DPC_ WATCHDOG VIOLATION) with some games on my 6700xt, specially in Lost Ark MMO, after latest adrenalin update 23.3.1, no more freezes so far, i only had a driver timeout that made the game crash but at least no more system freeze and BSOD like before

0 Likes
stan
Elite

AMD release new driver (23.3.1) to fix this issue:

However, some monitor with 7900XTX/XT still have this issue!!
Not fix totally.
Please follow here, if you install 23.3.1 and still have BSOD problem.

0 Likes
stan
Elite

If anyone have install 23.3.1 and still have this freesync(adaptive-sync) problem, please report here. or use AMD Bug report to report this issue.

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/driver-crashes-when-adaptivesynccompatible-is-enabled/...

Thanks!

0 Likes
kengur
Adept I

Is this still not fixed? I'm getting artifacts (flicker screen) on windows while moving some windows around. I'm getting Youtube to crash video completely after half an hour playing in background. Freesync seems to be the issue here, though I have tried everything else including lowering monitor from 170 to 144Hz.

0 Likes

That would be a different issue. The issue described in OP was immediate fatal error on use. With latest drivers, I think the are some reports of some users having issues with chromium based browsers and hardware acceleration enabled.

0 Likes
Aer
Adept I

Had this error a couple of times tonight, it's been happening on and off.
 I'm going to try disabling Freesync now for a while.
When my PC recovers from then error (hard reset) it comes back on without loading the driver too.

I really don't want to keep hard resetting my PC everyday.

On Sun 05/11/2023 01:53:31 your computer crashed or a problem was reported

Crash dump file: C:\Windows\LiveKernelReports\WATCHDOG-20231105-0153.dmp (Minidump)
Bugcheck code: 0x1B0(0x2, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000001, 0x108, 0xFFFFF8063BF4F684)
Bugcheck name:VIDEO_MINIPORT_FAILED_LIVEDUMP
Driver or module in which error occurred: amdkmdag.sys (amdkmdag+0x165F684)
File path:amdkmdag.sys
Bug check description:The DXGKRNL detected a problem and has captured a live dump to collect debug information.
Analysis:This is a video related crash.
Google query:amdkmdag VIDEO_MINIPORT_FAILED_LIVEDUMP

On Sun 05/11/2023 01:52:15 your computer crashed or a problem was reported

Crash dump file: C:\Windows\LiveKernelReports\WATCHDOG-20231105-0152.dmp (Minidump)
Bugcheck code: 0x141(0xFFFFE201977B9010, 0xFFFFF8065A802A10, 0x0, 0x23A8)
Bugcheck name:VIDEO_ENGINE_TIMEOUT_DETECTED
Driver or module in which error occurred: amdkmdag.sys (amdkmdag+0xF2A10)
File path:amdkmdag.sys
Bug check description:This indicates that one of the display engines failed to respond in timely fashion.
Analysis:This is a video related crash.
Google query:amdkmdag VIDEO_ENGINE_TIMEOUT_DETECTED

Windows 11

7900XT

Ryzen 7 3800X

32GB Corsair 3600Mhz @ 3200

Asrock X570 Taichi

Monitor Tiansu (TS2400-N2) 1440p Display @ 165Mhz

0 Likes
Aer
Adept I

I can confirm turning off Freesync on the monitor made no improvement. I'm running the driver(latest) only version of the AMD software now. I've had tons of freezing and black screens since installing the 7900XT, keep having to reinstall the driver, if it lets me, sometimes stating my hardware isn't supported.  Never happened previously running at Nvidia 970GTX

probswithgpudriver.gif

0 Likes
gues4545
Journeyman III

Hello

0 Likes