cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

jamesjoeyN
Journeyman III

Display Adapter Driver Causing Extremely Long Startup, Restart and Shutdown

I'm using my monitor's HDMI port for display and sound.
The driver name is AMD Radeon(TM) Graphics.
Windows 11 was using a 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.' But with this driver I get no sound.
The AMD Radeon(TM) Graphics drive I do get sound.
the driver date is 5/23/2023
the driver Version is 31.0.14052.4001

However, my PC takes an extremely long time (5 to 10 minutes or longer) to Startup, Restart and Shutdown.
When I use the basic driver the PC Startup, Restart and Shutdown normally (5-15 seconds.)

Is there an alternative driver?

Thanks,
James

0 Likes
12 Replies
FunkZ
Paragon

That is the Microsoft supplied driver version for your hardware. The driver version would indicate Vega 11 which is likely integrated graphics such as a 2400G or 3400G processor?

Go to https://www.amd.com/en/support and download the appropriate AMD driver - if you don't know your hardware model use the Auto-Detect feature and it will determine the correct driver needed.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
0 Likes

I tried that once and the audio returned but when the desktop opened my pc locked up.

0 Likes

I went to that page and did not see Auto-Detect anywhere on the page.

Am I missing something??

0 Likes

On AMD home page, click on support. Then go over to graphics click on drivers. At the top of the page you will see the Auto detect button. Click on that and follow instructions.

0 Likes

At the top of the page for Windows 10/11 Auto-Detect and Install Driver Updates - click in the box that says "Download Windows Drivers".

FunkZ_0-1704213649022.png

0 Likes

I did download and installed this driver a couple days ago:
amd-software-adrenalin-edition-23.12.1-minimalsetup-231205_web.exe

Problem is I got my audio back but upon restarting, once Windows 11 desktop showed,
the PC locked up.
A had to boot the Boot Menu and restore from a system restore point.

Should I try again?

0 Likes

That appears to be the graphics driver, what about chipset driver? I would install the chipset driver first.

0 Likes
jamesjoeyN
Journeyman III

So, installing the chipset driver before the Display adapter will keep the pc from locking up
after installing the display adapter driver.

Ok. How do I find the chipset driver??

0 Likes

The Auto-Detect utility should identify both AMD graphics card and chipset drivers needed. (see this walk-through link)

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-131

When you initiate the utility, what devices does it detect?

0 Likes

This getting more and more confusing.

Ho do I know which chipset to select??

I've been to the faq bedore.

0 Likes

I opened device manger and expanded system devices.

I see no item that includes "chipset"

the first entries are AMD but none are for the chipset.

0 Likes

If you know your motherboard chipset you can manually select it from the driver download page using the drop-down menu.

If you don't know what chipset you have, open your PC case and look for identifying label on the motherboard, both manufacturer and model should be printed on the PCB.

Incidentally most motherboard manufacturers also provide all applicable drivers on their product support page, however they are not always the latest available from AMD.

0 Likes