cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Crawnick
Adept I

Direct X 12 Crash - Every Time in Monster Hunter World

I get a err12 crash in Monster Hunter World EVERY time I approach the spot in the picture below. I've tested this over 30+ times and I'm now looking for test candidates to rule out a bad graphics card (Sapphire Nitro+ 7900 XTX). I will also note this is the ONLY game right now doing this, Monster Hunter Rise (which runs on an entirely different Capcom engine) does not have ANY issues with DX12 and I'm working on to trying out Witcher 3/Diablo 2 Resurrected/Far Cry 6 to verify other candidates. My assumption that my card isn't bad kinda comes down to the fact that SO many other games cranked up to insane graphics/details are not crashing.

I'm going to go ahead and list EVERYTHING I've tried:

Disabled all Steam/Radeon overlays

Left graphics card at default clock settings

Downclocked graphics card

FPS Caps

Disabled ALL Adrenaline settings/enhancements

DDU then Downgraded to 23.1.1

Lowered ALL in game settings and disabled FSR, literally 256 color quality with NO enhancements EXCEPT Direct X 12 API

Hooked up an ENTIRELY seperate PSU (1000w with the jumper powering the graphics card to rule out lack of power)

Completely wiped my computer with long Windows 11 install (full reformat on all drives)

Tried the graphics card on an entirely other computer I have

Swapped out all ram sticks for my other set AND disabled DOCP

Default CPU clocks with no OC

So... The list is long and I've tried pretty much everything except going out and buying another 7900 XTX/Different graphics card.

I'm not sure if this crash is exclusive to 7000 series or if it's AMD GPUs in general so I would love for other users with various cards to test this same spot with the same conditions for any crashes. I'm at my wits end and beyond frustrated..

Once you enter your house and you get up to the water for that pond, you will either crash immediately at the water or if you spin your camera you will crash within 5-10 seconds.

Crash Area.jpg

17 Replies
marcmadness
Journeyman III

Hate to break it to you but I have a 7900 XTX and I crash all the time in Monster Hunter Rise with D3d 12

I just got the build yesterday so I have not had time to tinker but I can get it stable at Normal Graphic settings locked at 60FPS... kind of sad. 

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/1997947332437703634/52017F38D0458D9793D12905303C4C8458602...

Honestly, I'm surprised to hear that. I run Rise perfectly fine - I think one thing I had to do early on was Borderless Windowed but I have at least 80-100 hours on this 7900XTX in Rise with 0 crashes with Direct X 12.

I can technically play MHW for hours in DX12 but once a enough details/clipping through environment/water comes around it will crash immediately. The spot I mentioned above just crashes 100% of the time no matter how short/long I've played it guarantee crashes. Do you mind trying out that spot with Direct X 12 API enabled (assuming you have World?)

what about DX11? as mine also crashed on DX11 sadly, all settings maxed out. details in my other reply.

i tried my old save file (i played this game 2 years ago but didn't finish, so i completely forget everything, that's why i created a new game), i can roam around the village, but as soon as i go to the ancient forest southwest waypoint, the first area when starting a new game, it'll crash. you can try going to that area, i think it'll crash too.

No issue with DX11 other than the horrid stutter - outside of that it never crashes even in that spot I mentioned in OP.

Hi, I'm having the same problem with the Vapor-X model. What I also found is that it's not unique to MWH. The issue also happens for GTFO and other games. Another thing I found is that GPU clock goes beyond whatever upper limit I set it to, the GPU usage goes to 100% usage, but the wattage goes down, causing the card to be unstable.

For GTFO, I capped the core clocks to 2700. While monitoring the card's usage with GPU-Z, the core clock jumped from 2612 to 2974, GPU load from 82% to 100%, and watts went down from 222 to 117.

As for MHW, core clock is capped to 2600, but when the driver timed out, i went from 2284 to 2669, GPU load from 70% to 100%, and watts went down from 186 to 100.

Would you be willing to see if you're having the same load/watt issues with your crash?
What I'm also wondering is if this is a driver issue or a crash issue? I'd like to know if a driver will fix this or if I need to RMA the card.

0 Likes
aisutodesu
Adept I

Hi,

I am also having this issue. But mine is worse I think.

I have Ryzen 9 7900 + XFX RX 7900 XTX.

Doesn't matter the graphical settings in MH World, It'll always crash in the beginning of the game when reaching the New World.

Things i tried:

Enable/Disable CPU PBO

Enable/Disable CPU Boost Clock override

Enable/Disable CPU Curve Optimizer

Enable/Disable RAM AMD EXPO

Enable/Disable GPU Undervolting

Enable/Disable GPU OC

DDU the GPU driver.

Nothing works, all on stocks settings also will crash the game, doesn;t matter DX 12 or DX 11 mode. very frustrated.

I tried other games, Genshin Impact (for hours and hours) and Atomic Heart (not extensively,only earlier parts of the game), no issues.

Any help appreciated

stan
Elite

Same issue, 7900XTX MBA, monster hunter World.

DX12 Crash.

DX11 Normal.

Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Thanks for the posts, we are looking into this. 

Are you able to provide some clear steps to reproduce the issue? Or even a save game file that takes us directly to the location that crashes? This would really help in a successful reproduction of the issue. 

Alternatively, if you can provide detailed instructions on where to go and how to get there that would help. 

Hi @Matt_AMD  , you can reference this walkthrough video from YouTube.  

(this video is MHW 100% plot walkthrough, so you can find this area/mission by adjust video timeline.)

https://youtu.be/3aALzgtjjfU?list=PLB6x_4-4tcYPtCfVGURTpIcrnY92Isc5Y&t=113

Reproduce Step:

When enter this area, just run around for a while, TDR happened.
Only happened with dx12 mode and i can reproduce 100%.

GPU: 7900XTX,  i dont test with the latest driver (23.5.2).  i dont know if the latest driver fix this issue.

However, driver 23.3.2 and before version can reproduce very easily.

Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Thanks, that's very helpful.

Hi Matt, I just wanted to add that it's 100 repro if you look over at the horizon on the right side, after climbing up that ledge (same ledge that both characters climb up on in the time-stamped video). I have this issue occurring on a Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7900 XTX Vapor-X.

Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Thank you, I'll pass this information along.

Please keep us updated. I have been having this issue at random intervals in the game as well. I can't even use the crash report tool because it just freezes.

can confirm that this is the way to reproduce the issue, i've been having this since late March driver till most recent driver, still crashing.
I have Ryzen 9 7900 + XFX RX 7900 XTX.

The thing is, for me, both DX12 and DX11 crashed there.

interiordesigns123
Journeyman III

I have the same issue, 7900XTX MBA, monster hunter World.

Crash with DX12.

The DX11 standard is normal.

Pekkaboo
Adept I

Hi Matt, I just wanted to add that it's 100 repro if you look over at the horizon on the right side, after climbing up that ledge (same ledge that both characters climb up on in the time-stamped video). I have this issue occurring on a Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7900 XTX Vapor-X.

EDIT: This was meant as a reply to Matt_AMD. Don't know how to delete the post.

Pekkaboo
Adept I

Hey everyone, I was browsing the AMD subreddit and I saw someone post a solution to the 7000 series driver time out issue. I tested the time outs related to this thread and some others from different games. I'm happy to report that the fix worked and didn't have any time outs.
In order to fix this, you'll have to edit a couple things in your Registry Editor.

Here's the link with the instructions.
https://helpx.adobe.com/substance-3d-painter/technical-support/technical-issues/gpu-issues/gpu-drive...