cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

kdawg
Adept I

Counter Strike 2 Crashing During Loadout & In-Game

With the release of CS2 i've noticed that there appears to be a hard hang/crash of the AMD drivers when using the loadout option. Not sure if this is a problem with the game but the hard crash seems to REALLY mess with the driver forcing a reinstall to get it resolved.

I havent 100% rules out hardware issues yet, but the reason i'm pointing to drivers is there was also a problem where every time i turn on the PC it would say the driver crashed and had to recover. I've done a few DDU's of the driver and reinstalled with the issue coming back up. I'm going to be gone for 1 week so I'm gonna take my GPU to get tested, but with CS2 coming out i think it would probably be a good thing for them to ensure their hardware/software is ready as this will be massive for people using AMD.

36 Replies
Creations
Adept I

This probably isn't a hardware issue. I have the same problem when I play BF1, I have chipset drivers and everything up to date but I still run into these issues. 

No, but im gone for 1 week and i have warranty at the place i bought it. So while im gone im gonna have it tested.

Nikson2981
Journeyman III

can vouch; exact same thing is happening to me (R9 5900x, RX 7900xt)

ThreeDee
Paragon

What power supply make/model?

..and are you using any kind of extension cables INSIDE your case?

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes

Its a 1200watt EVGA nova. Its a little old, maybe 10 years, but it ran 3 290x and 7970 back in the day.

0 Likes

I used to run a PC Power & Cooling 1KW unit for years and years .. it was a great PSU ..until it wasn't, lol. 

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes

Its very possible that wear has happened and i need to swap. If thats the case i will look into swapping it

0 Likes
Eirudy
Journeyman III

exact same thing is happening to me (I9 9900KF, RX 7900xtx)
LordBlitzo
Adept I

Exact same Problem for me (5800X3D, RX7900XTX, RX6400)

m3nthal
Adept I

Happens to me as well in two scenarios:

1. Browsing in LOADOUT menu

2. Loading new map

Exact same circumstances seem to trigger it here. Loadout will crash 100% of times, I can get through to the map without crashing about 50% of times. If AMD drivers crash, only a PC restart will restore it to normal - reopening the game will cause some issue with FreeSync and the game does not run smoothly, though it will say it's at full framerate. My VA monitor has some clear ghosting issues that happen when it's not at its full refresh rate, and this ghosting comes strong after an AMD Driver crash.

5800X3D - 7900XTX - B350. PSU (850W) is new and good.

0 Likes

Same here. I have a RX 7900 XTX Shapphire Nitro+. Can't change my loadout and always crash while loading premier match. Discord closes every time this happens.

Good 850W PSU, 7800X3D.

0 Likes

Good point, Discord always goes down with the AMD Driver, even with no streaming or in-game overlay.

0 Likes
kdawg
Adept I

It also happens where i get the random hangs after a few hours of playing. Sometimes these hangs are so bad that i have to reinstall the driver.

Gon123
Adept II

I'm having a situation where the fan goes on when not needed, and the GPU doesn't appear anymore in task manager, and in device manager the error 31 appears. I don't know if it's the same case, but I'm forced to do a clean install everytime this happens, and even when it works, there is a problem in one application and multiple errors in Windows Events. I wish I could already know if the GPU should be replaced, my warranty is expiring and I honestly don't have the time to be solving this problems when they want to appear.

For reference: 

GPU: Powercolor Hellhound 6600 XT, with the latest drivers

Eevooli
Journeyman III

Same problem here with RX 7900 XTX, sometimes its only just a crash and sometimes goes further like freezing the pc and losing graphics card driver and having to reinstall the Adrenaline Edition software.

I have a friend with an RX 6000 series (idk his graphic number) and everything is going well so that would indicate that it only happens with 7000 series.

0 Likes
bjorkman
Journeyman III

My driver times out on map load causing a crash, though it seems to recover since I can start the game again and re-join and then play with random annoying stutters now and then. 

I have reported the issue through AMD Adrenalin's bug reporter and I would recommend you do it too.

(Win11 latest, RX7900XT (23.8.2), R5900X)

Hi guys,

Running 7800X3D and 7900XTX Red Devil here. Also experiencing this.

What you can do if the drivers crash is go into the Device Manager -> Display Card where you will see your graphic card, right click it and Disable Unit, then Enable Unit again.

Sometimes you have to do it twice. Half of the time I'm not even able to go to Device Manager the first time due to the computer BSOD:ing.

EDIT: AKA no need to reinstall drivers with above.

/BR Tatem

0 Likes
m3nthal
Adept I

Please make sure you report this using AMD reporting tool. 

BTW, when it hangs, I go to task manager and kill csgo process and can restart the game no problem. 

Ive done that but openning something like this allows us to know how wide spread it is and if someone has spoted a fix we can all apply it

0 Likes
IINaStYIII
Journeyman III

It’s not just you last 3 AMD adrenaline updates for 7900xt & XTX has been trash. Causing hang ups, freezes and blue screens. Load back up and message in adrenaline says “General Default performance tuning settings have been restored to factory due to unexpected system failure. (even tho it was at default settings to begin with 🤦‍. I’ve even done clean install of windows 11 pro still same thing happens. Randomly just freezes up while browsing internet, watching YouTube and gaming. It’s getting ridiculous with it. 

tauseND
Journeyman III

Same for me 7900xt

CS2 crashes after 5-10mins, go to task manager kill cs2 and restart. But after the first crash, it only last 2-3mins for the next crash.... what is going on ? CS:GO runs fine

GPU: XFX 7900 XT, with the latest drivers

Cloudyheh
Journeyman III

Same with CS2 here - 7800x3d and 7900 xtx

vpreisinger
Journeyman III

Hi Guys! Same problem. RX 7900 XTX. Loadout editing or premier match starting causes crash, I always restart my PC due to this. BUT, if you set the game to windowed instead of full screen, the frequency of the crashes is so much better. Try this solution!

Also, this way you don't have to restart anything, just kill the cs2.exe in task manager and then you can instantly start it again. It's a huge benefit at least for me.

0 Likes
ThreeDee
Paragon

any improvement with new drivers (23.9.1)?

ThreeDee PC specs
mtbossa
Adept I

No, 0 improvements.

0 Likes
mtbossa
Adept I

Just an update: it seems like setting the '-vulkan' launch option fixes the problem. After setting it, I haven't experienced any more crashes or freezes.

Vulkan introduces lower FPS and stuttering for me. 

0 Likes

Where do you set this?

0 Likes

In CS2 launch options. If you search for "launch options cs" on google, you'll find the place to put it.

0 Likes
kdawg
Adept I

So i think ive found a work around. Setting MSAA to 4x or lower, Shader to low, and Ambient Occlusion to off seems to have fixed it. I cant now get through matches without crashing

Does it also fix loadout screen crashes?

0 Likes
mtbossa
Adept I

No improvements with new 23.9.2 drivers. Still need to use "-vulkan" launch option.

0 Likes
mtbossa
Adept I

Well, CS2 go launched, and AMD driver 23.9.3 added support to it. I removed "-vulkan" option to test the game, and got no crashes for a long time. However, after about 1 hour, I went to the loadout to change a pistol, and... guess what, the game crashed with driver timeout error. I'm using a FHD monitor (before I was using a 2K monitor), and thought it wouldn't happen, however it did anyways.

0 Likes
higorhi
Adept I

My crashes have stopped since 23.20.11.07, but now I got the VAC Ban related to AntiLag+. Running a 7900 XTX

0 Likes