cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

tanazzz
Adept III

Could my GPU be causing WHEA 18 errors?

Running a x570 TUF board and a 5950x  + a 6950xt. I bought the 5950x a month ago and I've had some crashes and instability while at idle/low usage and WHEA errors. So there have been a million threads on this topic ranging from "cpu is defective" to bad mobo etc. At first I thought it was because of PBO so I went all auto on the CPU but the random crashes persisted. The weird thing is that the crashes seem to stop when I disable the undervolt/overclock of my 6950xt in Radeon software. So my question is how are the 2 connected and why would removing my GPU OC/ undervolt fix my whea errors and instability?

0 Likes
8 Replies
rainingtacco
Challenger

Why do you insist on OC, even worse -automatic OC when you have crahes? Either do the due diligence of learning how to manually OC and check the stability, or remove the OC all together and have crash free stable system.

0 Likes

That's not what happened at all. I spent 3 weeks manually tuning PBO, and per core curve. Setting PBO to auto was a last resort to see if it the curve was the problem. PC was unstable even when disabling PBO all together which lead me to think it's the GPU. I've removed the GPU's memory OC and the PC's been stable for the last 12 hours running core cycler.

0 Likes
Vynski
Exemplar

Have you tried going into the performance tuning and instead of overclock GPU set up customized scenario with the custom.  See if that solves the problem.  I quit overclocking many years ago due to the instability and wear and tear on the components.  It's just not worth the few FPS you gain.

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"
0 Likes
Deemon69
Elite

Good day!

Pay attention to whether the unstable operation of the PC is related to the installation time of any Windows updates? Review the update log and compare with PC instability time. Also, with subsequent manifestations of instability, check if there were any updates at that time. This is the first, the second is to remove all preliminary updates of MS Framework. And third, if updates (including drivers) were still installed in automatic or manual mode, I recommend that you manually switch the Windows power plan for a short time.

0 Likes

Completely unrelated to windows updates. Can happen 15 minutes after boot or 10 hours. But 99% of the time happens when browsing web in firefox and playing back video. IDK if it's a random coinsidence but most of the time it actually happens when I click on a video on youtube and it starts playing. No automatic drivers, I have made sure to manually install Radeon drivers as well as AMD chipset drivers.

0 Likes
ThreeDee
Paragon

What power supply make/model are you running?

Are you running separate power cables from your PSU to each power input on your GPU?

What is your RAM configuration and what is your FCLK set to?

BIOS up to date on your motherboard?

I was getting WHEA 18 errors on my wife's setup (at the time she had a 3700x on her ASRock B550m Phantom Gaming 4, 2 x 16GB 3200 ECC UDIMMs, and an RX 550 2GB)

She was also getting driver timeouts and odd issues that seemed like it was a software or hardware problem with her GPU

I ended up changing her 500wtt 80 Plus (White rated) to a 600wtt 80+ Gold rated PSU and all her issues magically went away. 

She now runs a 5600x with 2 x 8GB 3466 sticks and same everything else without issue.

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes

1000W Seasonic Gold rated and brand new, 3 separate PCI-E cables no daisy chaining. Ram is DDR4 3200mhz CL16 FCLK set to 1600mhz. X570 TUF board latest bios version, Windows 11 latest build.

0 Likes
ardankyaosen
Miniboss

Did you ever get any solution to this?  While watching a Youtube video in Chrome, I just got my first WHEA error/crash/reboot.  So far, I've been unable to find any official reason/solution (but the day is young).

Computer: GIGABYTE B550 VISION D-P
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X (Vermeer, VMR-B0)
3700 MHz (37.00x100.0) @ 3733 MHz (37.40x99.8)
Motherboard: GIGABYTE B550 VISION D-P
BIOS: F15d, 07/20/2022
Chipset: AMD B550 (Promontory PROM19 C)
Memory: 16384 MBytes @ 1597 MHz, 14-14-14-34
- 8192 MB PC25600 DDR4 SDRAM - G.Skill F4-3200C14-8GFX
- 8192 MB PC25600 DDR4 SDRAM - G.Skill F4-3200C14-8GFX
Graphics: AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT
AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT, 16384 MB GDDR6 SDRAM
Drive: KINGSTON SKC3000D2048G, 2000.4 GB, NVMe
Sound: ATI/AMD Navi2x - High Definition Audio Controller
Sound: AMD Family 17h/19h - HD Audio Controller
Network: RealTek Semiconductor RTL8125 Gaming 2.5GbE Family Ethernet Controller
Network: Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz
OS: Microsoft Windows 11 Professional (x64) Build 22000.1098 (21H2)

0 Likes