cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

MDTeach
Adept I

Constant crashes (black screen) while watching videos on web browser.

Hi. I have a RX 6800 XT, and ever since I bought this thing the **bleep** drivers keep crashing while I watch videos on my web browser, independent of what website it is. It will happen on it's own whether I have only the browser open with no other apps on the background or if I have another app open with the browser playing the video on the background. The screen will go black for an entire minute and then resume working, as adrenalin will ask me to file a crash report, which I have been sending whenever it happens to no avail whatsoever. If it happens while I have a game open, the game will usually crash. It does not happen as often with streaming websites. Current driver version is 22.8.2, but this has been happening ever since 22.3.1 when I got the GPU.

1 Solution
MDTeach
Adept I

I've had hardware acceleration disabled on my browser for about a week now, and I still get drivers crashing daily while watching videos, and the cherry on top is that now, after updating to version 22.9.1, whenever I'm playing a game, my audio and video will occasionally get hard stuck and force me to hard reboot the computer.

AND I still can't play a game that I bought (Death Stranding Director's Cut) without downgrading these p.o.s. drivers to a previous version.

I've sent numerous bug reports through their own adrenalin software about these issues but they really do not care.

I've just about had it with this clown company, I'm never buying a graphics card from them again. Which is a shame, because the hardware seems amazing, but the software is a damned deal-breaker.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Shol
Adept I

Not 100% so far but I have had the same issues but this has at least decreased the problem, it not fixed it. (Cross your fingers.)

Turn off the hardware acceleration in all your background apps like chrome, discord, battlenet, etc. 

Have not had a crash since I posted this so it "seems" like the disabling browser/application hardware acceleration might have fixed it. 

ditto.

I disabled it everywhere and mine are gone too

milchuck
Journeyman III

Bought 6900XT and for months have had the same issue.  I can game with no issues but sometimes while watching video (usually YouTube) the screen will just go black for about a minute.  Have tried numerous "fixes" from these forums but clearly it's an AMD driver issue.  Can't wait for the new Nvidia cards so I can dump this $1K piece of junk.

troyboy66
Adept I

YUP! I also have a RX 6800 XT and I get the exact same thing. I'm all the way back to 22.6.1 because of this issue with the last two drivers. Browser crashes, video crashes and random system reboots. 

Shol
Adept I

I agree there are issues with the drivers.  Just make sure you go through all your programs and shut off the HW acceleration and see if it helps.  My system is flawless now for 3 days before was crashing maybe a few times a day.

HateAMDNow
Adept I

Same here with an RX 6700 XT! Their drivers are so trash I think going Intel GPU is better!

Similar problems were reported by previous generations of AMD GPUs.

• Display may briefly show corruption when switching between video and game windows on some AMD Graphics Products such as the Radeon™ RX 6700 XT.

From the release notes. They don't fix anything!

KabouterPlop1
Challenger

Mine triggers especially on whatsapp videocalls its ridicilous and windows 11 22h2 is around the corner they yet to fix the installer for that, and yes if had black screens triggered on windows 11 21h2 as well and XMP turned off within 1 minute even when 22h2 option to optimise windowed games is turned on.

urielejh
Elite

Problem is, without hardware acceleration we are stuck with low res/def videos on Netflix, prime...

MDTeach
Adept I

I've had hardware acceleration disabled on my browser for about a week now, and I still get drivers crashing daily while watching videos, and the cherry on top is that now, after updating to version 22.9.1, whenever I'm playing a game, my audio and video will occasionally get hard stuck and force me to hard reboot the computer.

AND I still can't play a game that I bought (Death Stranding Director's Cut) without downgrading these p.o.s. drivers to a previous version.

I've sent numerous bug reports through their own adrenalin software about these issues but they really do not care.

I've just about had it with this clown company, I'm never buying a graphics card from them again. Which is a shame, because the hardware seems amazing, but the software is a damned deal-breaker.

urielejh
Elite

do you happen to have vsync turned off completely via drivers? as states in the drivers notes, it could be the culprit

0 Likes